80% lower question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 80% lower question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default 80% lower question

Has anyone ever done a build starting with an 80% lower? I've read mixed things about what you have to do to complete them. Also am I looking for trouble down the road starting with an 80% lower?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-12-2013, 08:15 PM   #2

Liked 1062 Times on 747 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

I depends on the 80% lower. I have one that needs the magwell broached and the fire control group milled out but I don't have the tools. Newer versions are easier but it still comes down to you must be able to do the work yourself. You could take it to a shop and have guidance but you must do the work yourself. Most shops wouldn't want anything to do with such a thing, legally or insurance wise if you got hurt or broke their equipment.

It is legal (federally) to build your own semiauto firearm and it doesn't need a serial # though it's wise to add one. As far as local laws and selling it down the road, become very familiar with the law. (This is another reason I never made a real effort to complete mine plus it was so easy and cheap to buy stripped 100% lowers.)

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #3

Liked 322 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I have not built anything with an 80% lower, but, I have acquaintances with CNC shops that have dinked with them for themselves and had good luck. However, they all believe that unless a person has the machinest skill set and the machines that they and their shops use, that it is not a very good idea for an average person to build one of these things out of their garage. If you can get the file in machine you may get a CNC shop like this to show you and let you load the program into their CNC mill, charge you a fee to "rent" their machine and time, let you load the 80% lower in the fixture, and let you push the button to start the program milling and thus finishing out the 80% lower, but that scenario is most likely near impossible to find.

Last edited by mrm14; 03-12-2013 at 08:44 PM.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2665 Times on 1297 Posts
Likes Given: 1320

Nope and do not have any plans to use one! With all the steps there is a real good chance of throwing away your money. Besides not having the machinery to do it properly and to the correct dimensional specifications! The manufacturers use a Broach on the Mag Well is also a critical area.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #5

Liked 77 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I've been interested in this for awhile. Wanted to do a .308 with a 80% lower. I know Ares Armor has a guide jig that you put together over the lower that allows you to do all of the work with a drill press. Seems pretty straight forward. reviews on that have been mostly positive.

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/TACMHAR5

If you've got one foot in yesterday, and the other in tomorrow, than you're pissing on today.
-unknown-

Old 03-12-2013, 09:24 PM   #6

Liked 599 Times on 319 Posts

I have built with 3 of them now. All just needed the fire group milled. I used a CNC with Colt specs programed into it. I couldn't emagine doing it any other way. My friend has had his machine shop for 20 years, he didn't want to attempt it with out the CNC. Unless you have acces to on and know how to program it, I wouldn't

Old 03-13-2013, 04:32 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the replys fellas. It's not what I wanted to hear but that's why I asked before purchasing one. I need to get started on my AR build. I finally got money saved but in today's market I needed to save even more!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:04 AM   #8

Liked 599 Times on 319 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleDreamer
Thanks for all the replys fellas. It's not what I wanted to hear but that's why I asked before purchasing one. I need to get started on my AR build. I finally got money saved but in today's market I needed to save even more!
Where do you live. If your in Cali I can point you in the right direction.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't know but it is common in some parts of the world to make guns by hand with rudimentary hand tools. The key is patience. You can always remove more metal easily. Putting it back is another story. I say go for it. If you succede think how great it will feel.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25

Where do you live. If your in Cali I can point you in the right direction.
I would not be caught dead in Cali. No offense to Californians.