Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   80% lower question (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/80-lower-question-86378/)

EagleDreamer 03-12-2013 03:44 PM

80% lower question

Has anyone ever done a build starting with an 80% lower? I've read mixed things about what you have to do to complete them. Also am I looking for trouble down the road starting with an 80% lower?

Quentin 03-12-2013 07:15 PM

I depends on the 80% lower. I have one that needs the magwell broached and the fire control group milled out but I don't have the tools. Newer versions are easier but it still comes down to you must be able to do the work yourself. You could take it to a shop and have guidance but you must do the work yourself. Most shops wouldn't want anything to do with such a thing, legally or insurance wise if you got hurt or broke their equipment.

It is legal (federally) to build your own semiauto firearm and it doesn't need a serial # though it's wise to add one. As far as local laws and selling it down the road, become very familiar with the law. (This is another reason I never made a real effort to complete mine plus it was so easy and cheap to buy stripped 100% lowers.)

mrm14 03-12-2013 07:42 PM

I have not built anything with an 80% lower, but, I have acquaintances with CNC shops that have dinked with them for themselves and had good luck. However, they all believe that unless a person has the machinest skill set and the machines that they and their shops use, that it is not a very good idea for an average person to build one of these things out of their garage. If you can get the file in machine you may get a CNC shop like this to show you and let you load the program into their CNC mill, charge you a fee to "rent" their machine and time, let you load the 80% lower in the fixture, and let you push the button to start the program milling and thus finishing out the 80% lower, but that scenario is most likely near impossible to find.

Sniper03 03-12-2013 07:51 PM

Nope and do not have any plans to use one! With all the steps there is a real good chance of throwing away your money. Besides not having the machinery to do it properly and to the correct dimensional specifications! The manufacturers use a Broach on the Mag Well is also a critical area.

GrtWhytHype 03-12-2013 08:03 PM

I've been interested in this for awhile. Wanted to do a .308 with a 80% lower. I know Ares Armor has a guide jig that you put together over the lower that allows you to do all of the work with a drill press. Seems pretty straight forward. reviews on that have been mostly positive.

http://aresarmor.com/store/Item/TACMHAR5

Sgt_Skrb_25 03-12-2013 08:24 PM

I have built with 3 of them now. All just needed the fire group milled. I used a CNC with Colt specs programed into it. I couldn't emagine doing it any other way. My friend has had his machine shop for 20 years, he didn't want to attempt it with out the CNC. Unless you have acces to on and know how to program it, I wouldn't

EagleDreamer 03-13-2013 03:32 AM

Thanks for all the replys fellas. It's not what I wanted to hear but that's why I asked before purchasing one. I need to get started on my AR build. I finally got money saved but in today's market I needed to save even more!

Sgt_Skrb_25 03-13-2013 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleDreamer
Thanks for all the replys fellas. It's not what I wanted to hear but that's why I asked before purchasing one. I need to get started on my AR build. I finally got money saved but in today's market I needed to save even more!

Where do you live. If your in Cali I can point you in the right direction.

wechols 03-13-2013 01:59 PM

I don't know but it is common in some parts of the world to make guns by hand with rudimentary hand tools. The key is patience. You can always remove more metal easily. Putting it back is another story. I say go for it. If you succede think how great it will feel.

EagleDreamer 03-13-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25

Where do you live. If your in Cali I can point you in the right direction.

I would not be caught dead in Cali. No offense to Californians.