80% lower build
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 80% lower build

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
aruiz42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 36
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default 80% lower build

My one on this site done it yet? If you don't know what it is it's basically the following in the most simple terms
- a non registered legal to buy lower ( no FFL needed shipped right to your door)
-it's about 80% complete you just need to drill out all the parts using a jig you also buy... There is supposedly tutorials out there and most of them come with instructions
- legal to own not sell according to ATF

I just want to know how hard it is to a complete novice... Didn't find anything using the search from the app...

__________________
aruiz42 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fsted2a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,096
Liked 222 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 300

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruiz42 View Post
My one on this site done it yet? If you don't know what it is it's basically the following in the most simple terms
- a non registered legal to buy lower ( no FFL needed shipped right to your door)
-it's about 80% complete you just need to drill out all the parts using a jig you also buy... There is supposedly tutorials out there and most of them come with instructions
- legal to own not sell according to ATF

I just want to know how hard it is to a complete novice... Didn't find anything using the search from the app...
If you just want one for yourself, it is a pretty expensive proposition. Much cheaper to buy a stripped lower. I built one last year that the parts would fit in, but it was too ugly for me to put a picture of the build on the forum. I might try it again in the future. Takes a lot of patience, and be prepared to go through a few drill bits. You need plenty of work space, and a lot of time for your first one. Just trying to give you a heads up.
__________________

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

fsted2a is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
aruiz42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 36
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Trying to make a project with my friend... Is a milling machine necessary or a drill and a lot of bits good enough?

__________________
aruiz42 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,748
Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruiz42 View Post
Trying to make a project with my friend... Is a milling machine necessary or a drill and a lot of bits good enough?
Drill press for sure , not sure how well a hand drill would work. If you have access to a mill , the tooling and know how to run it properly it will make your job much easier
__________________
Criminals Prefer Unarmerd Victims....


And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yunus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: |,Maryland
Posts: 4,810
Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Default

polymer 80% lowers exist and are much easier to work with. I've seen youtube videos that claim they can be complete in under 90 minutes.

I've never personally seen or worked with one just watched a video.

__________________

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Yunus is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
fsted2a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,096
Liked 222 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 300

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
polymer 80% lowers exist and are much easier to work with. I've seen youtube videos that claim they can be complete in under 90 minutes.

I've never personally seen or worked with one just watched a video.
Yeah, I saw the vid as well. Might try one.
__________________

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

fsted2a is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
aruiz42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 36
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Well I went on rockethub.com and funded a couple of companies and they give you the lowers once they are funded... So basically got some for dirt cheap... Might take a while to get here but either way good investment... If it does not work out I could still sell them for between 50 and 100 each... Only bought for around 25 each... But I think if me and my friend out our heads together and try hard we could have unregistered AR's! I'll look into the polymer one thanks

__________________
aruiz42 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yunus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: |,Maryland
Posts: 4,810
Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruiz42 View Post
Well I went on rockethub.com and funded a couple of companies and they give you the lowers once they are funded... So basically got some for dirt cheap... Might take a while to get here but either way good investment... If it does not work out I could still sell them for between 50 and 100 each... Only bought for around 25 each... But I think if me and my friend out our heads together and try hard we could have unregistered AR's! I'll look into the polymer one thanks
I don't understand the laws well enough.
__________________

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson


Last edited by Yunus; 10-08-2013 at 09:27 PM. Reason: No good reason
Yunus is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
aruiz42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 36
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default

Well the ATF site states that as long as you can legally posses a gun in your state if you build a firearm for personal use and not for resale... I'm pretty sure you still need to follow magazine restrictions... I'm from NJ

__________________
aruiz42 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:04 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Sgt_Skrb_25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,404
Liked 575 Times on 307 Posts

Default

[QUOTE="aruiz42"]My one on this site done it yet? If you don't know what it is it's basically the following in the most simple terms - a non registered legal to buy lower ( no FFL needed shipped right to your door) -it's about 80% complete you just need to drill out all the parts using a jig you also buy... There is supposedly tutorials out there and most of them come with instructions - legal to own not sell according to ATF I just want to know how hard it is to a complete novice... Didn't find anything using the search from the app...[/QUOTE

What state are you in? If you don't feel comfortable doing it, you can rent a CNC with the. Specs programmed into it. I live in SoCal and have a line on a shop that will rent it out for $75 . Google around for local machine shops.

__________________
Sgt_Skrb_25 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Lower For Build 1911love AR-15 Discussion 48 10-09-2013 03:00 PM
First lower build. jpfiester AR-15 Discussion 3 12-27-2012 04:50 AM
ar lower build or buy jds AR-15 Discussion 3 09-29-2012 11:37 AM
First New AR Build - What Stripped Lower is Best? Snakedriver AR-15 Discussion 50 07-22-2011 01:42 AM
AR15 lower build cliffspot AR-15 Discussion 7 03-23-2011 04:07 PM