80% lower build
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 80% lower build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 01:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default 80% lower build

My one on this site done it yet? If you don't know what it is it's basically the following in the most simple terms
- a non registered legal to buy lower ( no FFL needed shipped right to your door)
-it's about 80% complete you just need to drill out all the parts using a jig you also buy... There is supposedly tutorials out there and most of them come with instructions
- legal to own not sell according to ATF

I just want to know how hard it is to a complete novice... Didn't find anything using the search from the app...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 PM   #2

Liked 222 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruiz42 View Post
My one on this site done it yet? If you don't know what it is it's basically the following in the most simple terms
- a non registered legal to buy lower ( no FFL needed shipped right to your door)
-it's about 80% complete you just need to drill out all the parts using a jig you also buy... There is supposedly tutorials out there and most of them come with instructions
- legal to own not sell according to ATF

I just want to know how hard it is to a complete novice... Didn't find anything using the search from the app...
If you just want one for yourself, it is a pretty expensive proposition. Much cheaper to buy a stripped lower. I built one last year that the parts would fit in, but it was too ugly for me to put a picture of the build on the forum. I might try it again in the future. Takes a lot of patience, and be prepared to go through a few drill bits. You need plenty of work space, and a lot of time for your first one. Just trying to give you a heads up.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Trying to make a project with my friend... Is a milling machine necessary or a drill and a lot of bits good enough?

Old 10-08-2013, 05:08 PM   #4

Liked 1131 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Trying to make a project with my friend... Is a milling machine necessary or a drill and a lot of bits good enough?
Drill press for sure , not sure how well a hand drill would work. If you have access to a mill , the tooling and know how to run it properly it will make your job much easier

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 10-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #5

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

polymer 80% lowers exist and are much easier to work with. I've seen youtube videos that claim they can be complete in under 90 minutes.

I've never personally seen or worked with one just watched a video.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 10-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #6

Liked 222 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
polymer 80% lowers exist and are much easier to work with. I've seen youtube videos that claim they can be complete in under 90 minutes.

I've never personally seen or worked with one just watched a video.
Yeah, I saw the vid as well. Might try one.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 10-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Well I went on rockethub.com and funded a couple of companies and they give you the lowers once they are funded... So basically got some for dirt cheap... Might take a while to get here but either way good investment... If it does not work out I could still sell them for between 50 and 100 each... Only bought for around 25 each... But I think if me and my friend out our heads together and try hard we could have unregistered AR's! I'll look into the polymer one thanks

Old 10-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #8

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Well I went on rockethub.com and funded a couple of companies and they give you the lowers once they are funded... So basically got some for dirt cheap... Might take a while to get here but either way good investment... If it does not work out I could still sell them for between 50 and 100 each... Only bought for around 25 each... But I think if me and my friend out our heads together and try hard we could have unregistered AR's! I'll look into the polymer one thanks
I don't understand the laws well enough.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by Yunus; 10-08-2013 at 09:27 PM. Reason: No good reason

Old 10-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Well the ATF site states that as long as you can legally posses a gun in your state if you build a firearm for personal use and not for resale... I'm pretty sure you still need to follow magazine restrictions... I'm from NJ

Old 10-09-2013, 01:04 AM   #10

Liked 575 Times on 307 Posts

[QUOTE="aruiz42"]My one on this site done it yet? If you don't know what it is it's basically the following in the most simple terms - a non registered legal to buy lower ( no FFL needed shipped right to your door) -it's about 80% complete you just need to drill out all the parts using a jig you also buy... There is supposedly tutorials out there and most of them come with instructions - legal to own not sell according to ATF I just want to know how hard it is to a complete novice... Didn't find anything using the search from the app...[/QUOTE

What state are you in? If you don't feel comfortable doing it, you can rent a CNC with the. Specs programmed into it. I live in SoCal and have a line on a shop that will rent it out for $75 . Google around for local machine shops.