7.62x39 upper in 20"? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

7.62x39 upper in 20"?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 04:11 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nectoxicdragon View Post
Ive built HUNDREDS of 7.62 x 39 ARs for clients without a single issue because I supply the correct magazine not an adapted one and teach them about dirty ammo and it's consequences... Education is a wonderful thing.
BUMP!

What are your mag suggestions? I started with C Product x39 30rd mags and those went right in the garbage. I've got a couple of AR Stoner 30rd mags that are ok, night and day difference from the C prod's, but even with the Stoners I usually can only get about 20rds or so in the mag before they bind up and I usually get 1 FTF from each time.

Another beef I have with the mag manufacturers, why 5, 10 then jump to 30rd mags? I'd love a 15 or 20rd for x39.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #32

Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

Quote:
Originally Posted by BsonomaMN View Post
BUMP!

What are your mag suggestions? I started with C Product x39 30rd mags and those went right in the garbage. I've got a couple of AR Stoner 30rd mags that are ok, night and day difference from the C prod's, but even with the Stoners I usually can only get about 20rds or so in the mag before they bind up and I usually get 1 FTF from each time.

Another beef I have with the mag manufacturers, why 5, 10 then jump to 30rd mags? I'd love a 15 or 20rd for x39.
ASC mags , no issues so far

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 02-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #33
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nectoxicdragon View Post
AAARRRRGGGGHHHHH! NOOOO NOT TRUE! whoever started this myth should be SHOT! There is NO SUCH thing as a round designed for a curved magazine! AND the 7.62x39 was designed for use in the SKS which does NOT have a curved magazine it has a fixed ten round stacked box magazine. the socalled "banana clip" was designed for HUMAN convenience ONLY. there are other caliber rounds that have a greater taper than the 7.62x39 that are fed out of straight magazines, like oh say, the 5.56x45, you just don't notice it due to the length vs angle...
While this is older I want to address this.

You can't stack 30 tapered rounds like the 7.62x39 in a straight mag and have it operate. The curvature of certain mags aren't for "human convienence" its dictated by what works for a given round. Do you really think the soviets would have made a much more difficult to build magazine over a simple straight one simply for the delight of their troops?? The ak47 mag is curved because it has to be to function with that round.

The reason the ak47 round has that extreme taper is because they did not have time to start from scratch with the german ss troops knocking on the gates of moscow. They basicly shortened the 7.62x54r and removed the rim and true soviet fashion worked off an existing design. The 7.62x39 was born out of desperation not out of long nites of mikhail kalishnikov pondering things over bowls of warm borscht.

While the sks and mosin 91/30 look straight on the inside they aren't. The straight walls of the long ar15 mag well is a tough problem to get past when designing a mag for it and the soviet round.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 02-13-2014, 05:16 PM   #34

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts

I'd like to hear more about this, I have an AK on my list but if I can build a 7.62x39 AR that might be my preference.

But in my opinion, if you can't load a full mag and empty a full mag without issue every single time, the gun isn't any better than a paper weight. And this is what my previous research yielded on a 7.62x39 ar, continual issues with FTF failures.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:06 AM   #35
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams556 View Post
I'd like to hear more about this, I have an AK on my list but if I can build a 7.62x39 AR that might be my preference.

But in my opinion, if you can't load a full mag and empty a full mag without issue every single time, the gun isn't any better than a paper weight. And this is what my previous research yielded on a 7.62x39 ar, continual issues with FTF failures.
If you want a ar15 that works well with that round get a rra lar-47 its a ar15 that is chambered in 7.62x39 and uses regular ak47 mags.

Personally I would just get a ak47 and be done with it.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-14-2014, 01:53 AM   #36

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts

A special lower kinda defeats the purpose of the AR modular style. And I believe that AK would be cheaper
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 02-14-2014, 02:09 AM   #37
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ams556 View Post
A special lower kinda defeats the purpose of the AR modular style. And I believe that AK would be cheaper
Redesigned lower is the only way it really works well.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:59 AM   #38

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 4

PWS is bringing back their 7.62x39 uppers with a limited production run. They will be available as 7" and 16" uppers. These are expected to ship to dealers in May of this year. PWS mentioned that the new C-products mags work reliably.

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.