7.62x39 AR who has one?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 7.62x39 AR who has one?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 7.62x39 AR who has one?

So I will be finishing my Ar up in the jan-Mar time frame and thinkin about my next Rifle now. I really want something that shoots 7.62x39 due to its popularity and the fact that if/when tshtf everyone and there mothers will have 7.62 to scavanage from. BUT I really dont like AK's no offense great guns do there job well tuff as hell. but just dont like the way the look or feel when i shoot them.

Started to look into a AR in 7.62x39 and know about the problems with the laquer coated ammo and the DI gas system that occur. And also about the problem with the mags but as i have seen someone made a mag that solves that problem.So i started lookin at a complete upper in 7.62 thats a Gas Piston setup for a reasonable price. Anyone have one and what are your thoughts on it?

Or do you have some recommendations on a different rifle chambered in that round.

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon
"We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home."Thomas Jefferson
"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

We have discussed this option several times. One of the concensus that has arisen:

You are paying WAY too much for a platform that is taking away one of it's founding principles ( AR - accurate, D.I. driven system and a round with range ) to trade for some of the downsides of the other platform ( AK - limited range and accuracy, barrel vibration under fire due to op rod system ).

Granted, you get a harder hitting round inside 100-150 yards, but then you have the draw back of being able to accurately shoot to 200 or 300.

Personally, if you have to have the 7.62 x 39mm platform, I would just get a decent AK and stock up on ammo. The AR variant really isn't going to give you much great performance and it's going to cost 2 or 3 times as much.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5627 Times on 2941 Posts
Likes Given: 371

or just get a ruger mini-30 if your really gotta have a mediocre round i would go with the ruger.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks Dillinger I saw the thread once before but my searchin failed to find that thread again. And I know that the AR vs the AK is more expensive but I wasnt really asking if it was worth it. But I was asking if anyone on here had one and how they like/liked it. I really dont like the Aks is all not too big a fan of the sks either. mini 40 i could live with but would rather have a AR...

Also i dont think that I am a 300Yrd shooter. Im more of a 150yrd and less shooter. so a good across the room/street/yard gun would be all that im lookin for anyway. And if im shoothin that far i will be using the bolt gun!

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
"No combat-ready unit ever passed inspection, and no inspection-ready unit ever passed combat."

Last edited by mach1337; 11-22-2010 at 08:43 PM.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #5

I just don't see 7.62 x 39mm being as plentiful as people think should the need arise.

Who has it? People that love their AK's and their SKS' and they horde it.

You aren't going to find pallets of it at your local sporting goods shop, unless you have a giant shop like a Sportco.

You aren't going to find it in police cars, precints, armories, National guard depots and stash points.

The people that have it already, probably aren't going to be the ones commonly found laying on the battlefield ready to be looted.

I don't personally see any benefit to try to reload for that cartridge, so I just keep coming back to money spent versus possible "reward".

If you have an AR that you like, buy a cheap AK to give to Cleetus from down the street in trade, or for his help defending the home stead when the space zombies hit the wire.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach1337 View Post
Also i dont think that I am a 300Yrd shooter. Im more of a 150yrd and less shooter. so a good across the room/street/yard gun would be all that im lookin for anyway. And if im shoothin that far i will be using the bolt gun!
If that is the case, have you looked at the larger, big bore style uppers for your existing AR?

Old 11-22-2010, 08:54 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

One of the things i LOVE about my SKS is the inexpensive ammo available, notably the Wolf brand stuff; my SKS loves it and doesn't mind the dirt and grit. My buddy used some in his AR-15 (.223) last week & had many, many failures, though the PMC rounds ran fine. I doubt that all AR's are as dirt-sensitive or brand-picky as his seems to be, but i wouldn't want to feed an AR i had worked to pay for a steady diet of cheap, comparatively dirty ammo. I would also be hesitant about using the surplus stuff with the corrosive primers in a comparatively pricey AR, but my SKS and my buddy's WASR seem fine with it.

Just my bit.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:04 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
If you have an AR that you like, buy a cheap AK to give to Cleetus from down the street in trade, or for his help defending the home stead when the space zombies hit the wire.
JD you have yet agian made me think of something in a different way then before...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
If that is the case, have you looked at the larger, big bore style uppers for your existing AR?
yeah i have been looking at a larger bore upper for the ar. I know i want somethin a lil bigger for knock down power and just for well i want one. would love to have a beowulf but the cost of shooting is the biggest factor. i dont mind the initial cost its really the ammo cost that im lookin at. want somethin i can enjoy shootin without goin broke on ammo.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:23 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So no my question is does anyone have a .300 Whisper upper? looks so good seems like it would do the job that i want too!

Old 11-23-2010, 04:38 PM   #10

Quote:
JD you have yet agian made me think of something in a different way then before...
Glad I could help.

Quote:
So now my question is does anyone have a .300 Whisper upper? looks so good seems like it would do the job that i want too!

That is a nice round. It will definitely do a lot of what you are looking for, but you are probably going to have to jump into the deep end and reload to make it cost effective.

We built a .300 Whisper ( boltgun on a Remmy 700 with a Bell & Carlson stock ) for a guy who does all sorts of varmint and coyoting ( he lives in Montana and has property for days apparently ) and he LOVES it.