Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 7.62x39 20" build plan under way.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 05:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default 7.62x39 20" build plan under way.

barrel ( i will have it threaded 5/8x24)
7.62x39mm 20 Fluted Barrel (No Chrome) [YHM-75-F-NC] - $192.00 : YHM, Yankee Hill Machine Co., Inc. | Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors, Makers of High Quality Firearms, Accessories & Sound Suppressors

muzzle break
H&K STYLE MUZZLE BRAKE COMPENSATOR 5/8x24 7.62mm .308 | eBay

10rd mags i will be using
Arizona Gun Runners - MWG Magazines

grip and hand guard
Hogue AR15 free float tube

butt stock
PK Firearms | Online Store

lower reciever
*Surplus Ammo & Arms AR15 Complete Lower - No Stock - Surplus Ammo

upper reciever
Aero Precision AR15 Stripped Flat Top Upper Receiver - Surplus Ammo

BCG
7.62x 39 bolt carrier group $139 - YHM 7.62x39 mm parts by Ar15broker.com

gasblock
https://www.primaryarms.com/Yankee_Hill_Machine_Low_Profile_Gas_Block_Ass_p/yhm-9381a.htm

piston conversion
AR-15/M16 OPS-416 GAS PISTON CONVERSION KIT - Brownells

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2011, 05:54 AM   #2

3lb timney trigger
ARR-990 - AR-15 Timney Skeleton Trigger 3 Lb Pull

and my osprey 6-24x50 scope with armalite mount.

here it is at 84 yards max zoom

The Hogue hand guard and grip, along with the foam of the ace stock should make this rifle very comfortable in the hands in all weather and very friendly on the cheek in cold or even hot weather.

This rifle will not be built to set any accuracy records with this round, it just going to be a damn nice looking mid size game hunting rifle for ranges of 400 yards and less.

I know I could just get an AK or saiga, or even a bolt gun in this cal, but none will be as comfortable off hand as this. atleast that how I feel about it. I also know that the barrel isn't chrome lined and that it is offered if I so choose. Chrome lining isn't important to me in the least. I also feel sense I will not be shooting full auto, dumping 10,000 rounds in a few days, or shooting corrosive ammo, chrome lining would be a waste.

This will be great hog, deer, dog, large cat, hunting rifle. I don't care that there are next to none hi-cap mags that work well, don't want them any how. I know there are other cal. Like 6.8spc or 6.5 grendal. There not available here local and are just a glorified version of the same cal. Only a bit more refined. Not to mention they cost almost as much as .308 defeating the point of buying them when .308 will far out perform them.

Do some research and u will see that 7.62x39 will stop most game animals with out issue at the 400 yards or less. Also the ammo cost less than .223 so you can get lots of practice. FMJ rounds are nice on small stuff like rabbits, it doesn't do to much damage but stops them in there tracks. Hollow point wolf will do wonders on deer with out destroying all the meat in its path.

One more time, this will be a hunting rifle that will see sub zero temps, and temp of 110+. So basically I want AK reliability, AR ergo's and optics mounting, with a taste of style.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #3

still on the go....

Old 10-23-2011, 05:39 PM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

20" 7.62x39? Seems like a lot of waisted barrel.

Why not just get a PSL/Dragonov?

Old 10-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #5

had one, dont really care for it

Old 10-24-2011, 08:00 PM   #6

IM thinking a build like this
it would have a comfortable cheek rest, great optics mount, and better than practical accuracy. The ability for a top notch trigger and look great

This look

But with this barrel

Or the much cheaper route
Still have great practical accuracy but less than the AR set up. Still looks great. Less comfort, less ideal optics mount, less trigger options, crappy ergos. Top notch reliability in all weather

Knowing me I will probably build the AR any way, and end up getting the 20" saiga just for the hell of it. If so it would be some time next year that I have both set up and scoped ready to go. If and when that happens I will do a side by side comparison of the two,,,,,,,,y not right.

And its not a waist of barrel at all. I like the look of the longer barrel with used with a scope, and I like the added velocity, even if minimal. Its also noticeably quieter. The longer barrel doesn't hurt any thing, it not going to be a go to gun for selfdefence or will it ever be used in doors where smaller weapons are favored. IM simply building a rifle that I think will be comfortable in all weather and be a great looking, usable hunting rifle.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Nice looking SKS up there with the PSL.

Just signing in to watch the progress. If i ever get an AR, it will be in 7.62x39 or .308; i just don't like .223 when i shoot it.

Any particular reason for the piston conversion?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #8

cheap steel case ammo is filthy and the piston will be more reliable for that. DI guns are fine in there own rite but perform much better with brass ammo only.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:07 AM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
cheap steel case ammo is filthy and the piston will be more reliable for that. DI guns are fine in there own rite but perform much better with brass ammo only.
I have a couple DI ARs that would disagree w/ that statement.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:15 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

I will be following this. Looking forward to seeing a finished product.