7.62 x 39 AR Upper receiver - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 7.62 x 39 AR Upper receiver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75370 View Post
I've been in a few gunfights where we were sprayed by your beloved AKs, it ended poorly FOR THE ENEMY by a well placed shot from one of our OVERLY ACCURATE RIFLES M-4/M16s.
I wasn't going to acknowledge your post but what the hell.

"Beloved AK", define that for me please. And while you're at it inform me as to how you came up w/ such an assumption.

Your words, "sprayed" vs. "well placed shot". Do you see the difference? We were talking about the difference b/w the x39 through the AK and AR. Your word vomit is comparing apples to oranges from somewhere off in left field.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Maybe I am asking too much of the round for the money I want to spend. I just like the idea of swapping out an upper, maybe the 7.62 isn't the best choice. Oh BTW, please don't turn this into the AR vs AK flame thread. Thx for the input so far.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-16-2012, 12:12 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
What kind of accuracy are you looking for? It is more than accurate for its intended job. The round nor the weapon system was made for DMR duty.

My old WASR is minute of man all day at any range you would ever want to engage a target at. Hell my Draco w/ side folder is GTG at 100 yards which is much further than most of us will ever engage a target.

If you're wanting a bench rest gun you'd be better off w/ a bolt gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
Maybe I am asking too much of the round for the money I want to spend. I just like the idea of swapping out an upper, maybe the 7.62 isn't the best choice. Oh BTW, please don't turn this into the AR vs AK flame thread. Thx for the input so far.
What kind of accuracy are you looking for and what are you going to use it for? Like Quentin said the x39 will be more accurate out of the AR platform.

From my experience w/ the x39 AR is that for the price of an upper you can easily get a nice AK.

I think most of us understand what you're wanting has nothing to do w/ AK vs. AR, most of us.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-16-2012, 04:21 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Im looking for the best 7.62 upper receiver there is for the AR platform, an if i cant afford that... the second best. I know what the AK variants are and im shopping for those too. I need help finding a AR 7.62 receiver. Thats really what Im after. The the best bang for my buck, 7.62x39, on an AR lower.

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
Im looking for the best 7.62 upper receiver there is for the AR platform, an if i cant afford that... the second best. I know what the AK variants are and im shopping for those too. I need help finding a AR 7.62 receiver. Thats really what Im after. The the best bang for my buck, 7.62x39, on an AR lower.
7.62x39 doesn't require a special receiver, just a special bolt, barrel, and magazines.

Have you considered 300BLK? It exhibits the same characteristics as 7.62x39 but w/ greater ballistic potential. Ammo is $130 per 200 for the least expensive stuff but it's getting cheaper plus you have access to high end hunting and defense ammo if needed. If you compare brass to brass 300BLK is cheaper than 7.62x39. Another plus to .300BLK is the only proprietary part is the barrel so if you want to go to 5.56 you just change the barrel.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 01-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thx mjkeat, I handt really thought of .300blk. I have heard good things about it. In any case I'd still like a complete upper set to change out quickly. Thats really what I meant when I said "receiver" instead of upper.

Last edited by Cattledog; 01-16-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: didnt read enough. "d'oh"

Old 01-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #17

Been running a couple Mod 1 sales 7.62x39 kit builds for years. I like mine!

Model 1 Sales: 7.62x39 Standard

"The older I get, The better I was"

Old 01-16-2012, 11:03 PM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog
Thx mjkeat, I handt really thought of .300blk. I have heard good things about it. In any case I'd still like a complete upper set to change out quickly. Thats really what I meant when I said "receiver" instead of upper.
I really like my .300blk but haven't really put to many rounds down range yet. Ammo selection and the ability to use 5.56 parts sold me on it.

-John Ruskin

Quote:

Old 01-17-2012, 12:12 AM   #19

Is this.300blk the same as the 300 fireball in model 1?