Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 7.62 x 39 AR Upper receiver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Default 7.62 x 39 AR Upper receiver

Im sure there's a thread here...somewhere. I couldn't find any in the last year though. Has anyone had first hand experience? I have heard everything from light primer strikes to problems feeding but nothing recent. It looks like bushmaster is now selling a dedicated upper. I'm still thinking about it but I don't want to waste the money on a headache. Before anyone says "just get an ak" Ive priced it out and it looks like it could be a wash by the time I get an AK worth shooting. Any thoughts?

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 472

I have thought about one for a while now, but folks keep talking me out of it.

Armalite is making a 7.62x39 upper now. If I was serious about buying one, I would check out Armalite's.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Mmm... just checked the DPMS site for giggles and the say theyre re-designing their entire 7.62x39 product line. could be something there too. Thx for the Armalite heads up btw

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-15-2012, 12:52 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If you're concered about something that's "worth shooting" I'd stay away from Bushmaster and DPMS. A $400 AK would be a better bet than those two. I had a x39 AR that ran great but it was quite a bit more than an AK "worth shooting". A $700 Arsenal or a $499 converted Saiga would be cool. If you really want a x39 AR take a look at AR15Performance.com.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-15-2012, 02:00 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Nice gear. They are out of stock on everything atm. Im gonna have to question the $400.00 AK as a substitute though. All reliability of design aside, a cheap AK usually means a cheap barrel and a cheap barrel means the accuracy is crap. At that point its worthless if you cant hit anything.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:32 AM   #6

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog
Nice gear. They are out of stock on everything atm. Im gonna have to question the $400.00 AK as a substitute though. All reliability of design aside, a cheap AK usually means a cheap barrel and a cheap barrel means the accuracy is crap. At that point its worthless if you cant hit anything.
I think his point was that with the reliability issues some have voiced here as of late with the DPMS & Bushmasters, a $400 AK will at the very least function.

Friend of mine has two of the WASR's...they are by no means tack drivers, but the accuracy is acceptable for many applications.

JMHO, tho...

Old 01-15-2012, 06:04 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
What kind of accuracy are you looking for? It is more than accurate for its intended job. The round nor the weapon system was made for DMR duty.

My old WASR is minute of man all day at any range you would ever want to engage a target at. Hell my Draco w/ side folder is GTG at 100 yards which is much further than most of us will ever engage a target.

If you're wanting a bench rest gun you'd be better off w/ a bolt gun.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've been in a few gunfights where we were sprayed by your beloved AKs, it ended poorly FOR THE ENEMY by a well placed shot from one of our OVERLY ACCURATE RIFLES M-4/M16s.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #9

Liked 972 Times on 683 Posts
Likes Given: 972

As cheap as a WASR or converted Saiga is, it makes sense to add one to your arsenal. No doubt 7.62x39 would be more accurate in an AR upper but I'll keep my five year old WASR and cheap reliable magazines along side my ARs instead. I have buddies who say "how can you own the rifle that was shooting at you 40 some years ago" but I don't see it as a problem, in fact why not become familiar with their operation.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #10

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75370
I've been in a few gunfights where we were sprayed by your beloved AKs, it ended poorly FOR THE ENEMY by a well placed shot from one of our OVERLY ACCURATE RIFLES M-4/M16s.
As Sec Rumsfeld said at the time...

"the enemy is attacking our forces, and our forces are killing them..."

Nice job, 75370...glad you're back safe.