Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 7.5" Pistol build / Compensator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2013, 04:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 572 Times on 304 Posts

Starting my 10th build and my first AR pistol build. It is a 5.56 with a 7.5" barrel. I have been reading a lot about cycling issues. From what I have gathered, I need to create some extra back pressure to help cycling. I keep seeing the PWS CQB and the Noveske "flaming pig" coming up as solutions. Has anyone tried any other devices that work well? Any input would be appreciated, thank you

Last edited by Sgt_Skrb_25; 01-15-2013 at 03:43 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2013, 01:25 PM   #2

The other alternative is to run a H3 buffer, but why buy another buffer wen I still need a muzzle device.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #3

Liked 1120 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1995

I use the Troy Claymore on my 7" SBR works fine, cycles eveything from cheap Tula to match grade ammo . I would not run a H3 buffer til you know it works on a carbine buffer first . One of the things I have found out is it will not cycle .22lr ammo with the .22 conversion kit which tells me it does not have the oomph like it does in a 16" barrel that cycles it fine . throw in a H3 buffer with lower gas pressure and you got problems . I run a 3.8oz buffer in mine which would be about equivalent to a H buffer . Remember they all run different depending on the gas hole size shorter barrels are some times finicky so be patient , just buy a barrel from a reputable manufacturer .

Old 01-18-2013, 02:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
I use the Troy Claymore on my 7" SBR works fine, cycles eveything from cheap Tula to match grade ammo . I would not run a H3 buffer til you know it works on a carbine buffer first . One of the things I have found out is it will not cycle .22lr ammo with the .22 conversion kit which tells me it does not have the oomph like it does in a 16" barrel that cycles it fine . throw in a H3 buffer with lower gas pressure and you got problems . I run a 3.8oz buffer in mine which would be about equivalent to a H buffer . Remember they all run different depending on the gas hole size shorter barrels are some times finicky so be patient , just buy a barrel from a reputable manufacturer .
Thanks for the info. I just got everything to finish the build except the upper receiver. I've thought about the claymore. Might be good with the claymore because I only have half the threads sticking out of the rail anyway. Need to come out an inch or too. I'll give it a shot with the H buffer first. Thanks again Purehavoc!
Old 01-18-2013, 02:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 View Post
Thanks for the info. I just got everything to finish the build except the upper receiver. I've thought about the claymore. Might be good with the claymore because I only have half the threads sticking out of the rail anyway. Need to come out an inch or too. I'll give it a shot with the H buffer first. Thanks again Purehavoc!
No problem , once you go SBR and get that stamp it will be a bad addiction , you think BRD is bad you aint seen nothing yet
I will see how my new one goes but it may get a stamp also and get sent back to KRISS to go SBR

Last edited by purehavoc; 01-18-2013 at 02:38 AM.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc
No problem , once you go SBR and get that stamp it will be a bad addiction , you think BRD is bad you aint seen nothing yet
I will see how my new one goes but it may get a stamp also and get sent back to KRISS to go SBR
I ended up getting the PWS CQB. I'll get the Claymore on the next build. I have other PWS muzzle devices on other builds , and they work great.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #7

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 83

I use the Noveske "pig" style on the 9.5" SBR I built a year or so ago and the gun has had no problems. Only thing to be aware of is due to the design, if you are on the front end - off to the side obviously - of the gun there is a major increase in felt blast and concussion. OTOH, for those behind the gun there is a noticeable DECREASE in noise level.

FYI, my gun started out as a pistol (PLR-16) so it was already set to run with a shorter barrel using a gas piston design. The compensator I installed was more to help control the blast, but it also seems to improve and increase the speed of the cycling process by increasing back pressure.

sbr4a.jpg  

Old 01-20-2013, 11:19 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

This is an interesting upper from Innovative Arms. The gas adjustment is at the upper receiver instead of the gas block. I've seen it work well with FA SBR suppressed set ups.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/innovative-arms-warfighter-adjustable-receiver.html

Old 01-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #9

Mine is a DI rifle. Sometimes they do have issues. Most of them easily worked out. Just check the gas hole for debris before u build it. I'm not a big piston fan but they seem to work well in a sbr. I can just do with the extra weight and proprietary parts. If it breaks I want capatable parts quick

Old 01-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #10

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

As Havoc knows, linear compensators also doulbe as great leaf blowers and deck de_ icers.

In response to your question tho, linear comps increase the dwell time. So if your build is short cycling it will help a lot. Also don't start with a h3. Heavier buffers. I run a 7.5 with a kx3 and a h1 buffer. Cycles weak stuff just fine. A h2 buffer on my build induces short cycling with some of the weaker ammo. Ymmv.