Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > $600 AR - Fact or Fiction

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #31
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,615
Liked 1994 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Scott
Whos kit did you end up going with ?
I went with the standard barrel MOE kit and stripped lower when they were $49 and I ended up around $606 shipped for everything
Didn't quite want to do a complete build, so I went with an assembled lower (Plum Crazy polymer) and a completed upper (PSA 16" lightweight). I've shot enough polymer pistols to be comfortable trying the Plum Crazy.
__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:03 PM   #32
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,710
Liked 1111 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Didn't quite want to do a complete build, so I went with an assembled lower (Plum Crazy polymer) and a completed upper (PSA 16" lightweight). I've shot enough polymer pistols to be comfortable trying the Plum Crazy.
I havent heard anything bad about the Plum Crazy poly lowers , And its not in the battle field getting beat to death either so it should be just fine , I like my poly pistols also. Regardless you can always take the LPK out of it later and put it in something else if you want to .
My PSA stuff has been top notch
__________________
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #33
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,615
Liked 1994 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I havent heard anything bad about the Plum Crazy poly lowers , And its not in the battle field getting beat to death either so it should be just fine , I like my poly pistols also. Regardless you can always take the LPK out of it later and put it in something else if you want to .
My PSA stuff has been top notch
I figure the trigger group would likely be the first thing replaced if desired. I'll have to see what it feels like.
__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #34
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,710
Liked 1111 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I figure the trigger group would likely be the first thing replaced if desired. I'll have to see what it feels like.
Seems like the trigger groups vary from each other alot , I have 2 of the same kits and I really prefer one over the other , the pull on one is perfect the other has some creep and isnt as smooth either
__________________

Last edited by purehavoc; 01-27-2012 at 09:41 PM.
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #35
AZL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 298
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

It's not fictiono. If you shop right you can build a functional, vanilla AR for right around $400. I know...I've seen me do it. In fact my FAVORITE rifle on the AR platform is an M4 I built on an old AMEETEC lower. I am in the gun for $430 ish....and it will outshoot a LOT of much higher dollar factory AR's.

Why? I have been building them a LONG time....I know what works together and I know what doesn't. I am experienced enough to diagnose and repair issues that a lot of fellers can't. I can flat make an AR run. Now...a new builder doen't have that level of experience YET. If you stick with it, and learn the rifle you will get it.

So...I would say, don't worry about building the cheapest AR you can. Build the BEST AR you can your first time out. Use good quality parts from reputable manufacturers. Stag lowers are ALWAYS great. Start with a good lower, shop smart for quality parts. Once you have that first build under your belt and really grasp the rifle...not just the tinker toy aspect of fitting part A to slot B, but really KNOW that rufle...then you can start your "cheap" AR project. You will have figured out what works together well, and what a good fit really is, and how the bolt carrier should "feel" in th upper....etcv...etc...etc...You will know how to fix glitches and issues that would make another guy ****can the whole project out of frustration.

Look at it this way...$2000 is NOT a lot of money to spend on building your first AR if you spend that $2K over a period of time a bit at a time...you will have a top notch gun built the way you want it and you will have the education for free.

Realistically...set your $ limit at about $1000-$1100. Don't buy "cheap"...buy smart, and you will come in under budget with a rifle you can take pride in.

__________________
I am fluent in three languages: English, Sarcasm, and Sexual Innuendo.

Surprize me...hose out your mangina, quit whining and actually DO something.
AZL is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #36
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
purehavoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Not where I wanna be
Posts: 4,710
Liked 1111 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1981

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZL View Post
It's not fictiono. If you shop right you can build a functional, vanilla AR for right around $400. I know...I've seen me do it. In fact my FAVORITE rifle on the AR platform is an M4 I built on an old AMEETEC lower. I am in the gun for $430 ish....and it will outshoot a LOT of much higher dollar factory AR's.

Why? I have been building them a LONG time....I know what works together and I know what doesn't. I am experienced enough to diagnose and repair issues that a lot of fellers can't. I can flat make an AR run. Now...a new builder doen't have that level of experience YET. If you stick with it, and learn the rifle you will get it.

So...I would say, don't worry about building the cheapest AR you can. Build the BEST AR you can your first time out. Use good quality parts from reputable manufacturers. Stag lowers are ALWAYS great. Start with a good lower, shop smart for quality parts. Once you have that first build under your belt and really grasp the rifle...not just the tinker toy aspect of fitting part A to slot B, but really KNOW that rufle...then you can start your "cheap" AR project. You will have figured out what works together well, and what a good fit really is, and how the bolt carrier should "feel" in th upper....etcv...etc...etc...You will know how to fix glitches and issues that would make another guy ****can the whole project out of frustration.

Look at it this way...$2000 is NOT a lot of money to spend on building your first AR if you spend that $2K over a period of time a bit at a time...you will have a top notch gun built the way you want it and you will have the education for free.

Realistically...set your $ limit at about $1000-$1100. Don't buy "cheap"...buy smart, and you will come in under budget with a rifle you can take pride in.
The $400+ is very true I have seen some cheap cheap used lowers out there that guys have decided to upgrade to something else and let that stuff go for dirt cheap Like $225 some with BCG some not ,throw a decent lower in $79 and a $49 LPK and a $50 stock kit and your in that $400+ range , Now as far as what works well with what I have no clue , Im all new to this also but between bouncing around sale forums and finding some of this stuff so cheap makes me want to grab some of it to use later . it can be done if you spend some time looking around and waiting on the right price
__________________
purehavoc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
"Cardboard Kevlar" - FACT or FICTION? Can plain old cardboard stop 15 calibers? beavermatic General Handgun Discussion 3 10-26-2011 05:54 PM
Concealed Carry Gun - 9mm or .40? (Fact Specific) SigSire Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 27 06-26-2011 07:58 PM
POTUS fact game. skullcrusher The Club House 10 06-27-2009 05:19 PM
Fact or Fiction? Bronze_Cased AR-15 Discussion 2 07-03-2007 04:09 PM