6.8mm spc?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 6.8mm spc?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2011, 05:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 6.8mm spc?

How good of a round is the 6.8 for taking deer, or other game? And how good of a round is it? (recoil, accuracy, etc.)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Here is a 6.8 forum.
Home of the 6.8 SPC - 68forums.com

Old 12-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

From what I've read/researched it is a good round. I would go that route if it weren't for the cost and the fact nobody seems to be able to make up their mind which chamber is best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 12-22-2011, 03:29 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleshooter474 View Post
The 68forums is the best source available for researching the 6.8 SPC. As for specs, I'll make this simple...there are the SAAMI I specs and SPC II specs. The SPC II specs are currently the latest and greatest. To put it in perspective, I'll explain it like it was explained to me.

There are two types of factory 6.8mm ammo: Standard factory and combat/tactical loads. Both can be fired through a 6.8 SPC with the SPC II specs. Only the standard factory loads can be fired through a 6.8 SPC with the SAAMI I specs. The reason is because of the bore and barrel twist can't support the increased pressure of the combat/tactical loads. As for the SAAMI I specs, the same can also be said for the hotter hand loads.

A perfect example to compare the 2 specs is with the .223 and 5.56 ARs. You can repeatedly safely shoot .223 and 5.56 ammo in a AR chambered for 5.56. But you can only safely shoot .223 ammo in an AR chambered for .223.

As for ammo costs, yes factory ammo is expensive. The cheapest I've found is Remington UMC 115gr FMJ rounds...which is only good for plinking in my experience. The next best ammo for plinking and hunting, which I've found extremely accurate is Silver State Armory 110gr Sierra Pro-hunters. So depending on what you get it'll cost you about $0.80-1 per round. Luckily, reloading makes it a whole lot cheaper, right around $0.35 per round with the right components.

I wanted an AR for hunting with, and my choices back at the time was a 6.8 SPC AR15 or a .308 AR10. As most know, an AR10 is noticeably heavier and you are pretty much stuck with the AR10 platform only. Since the rifle was going to be my hunting rig, I took into account the weight and went with the AR15...and since it's more versatile than the AR10, I'm now getting a 5.56 upper, with the option to also get uppers in .450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM, 7.62x39, etc...

As for hunting, the 6.8mm SPC round will take out any medium sized game at 200-300 yds. I've also heard that hunters have taken elk and bear with a 6.8. I've yet to regret getting a 6.8 SPC.

“No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.” -Calvin Coolidge

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Old 12-22-2011, 02:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmkeith

The 68forums is the best source available for researching the 6.8 SPC. As for specs, I'll make this simple...there are the SAAMI I specs and SPC II specs. The SPC II specs are currently the latest and greatest. To put it in perspective, I'll explain it like it was explained to me.

There are two types of factory 6.8mm ammo: Standard factory and combat/tactical loads. Both can be fired through a 6.8 SPC with the SPC II specs. Only the standard factory loads can be fired through a 6.8 SPC with the SAAMI I specs. The reason is because of the bore and barrel twist can't support the increased pressure of the combat/tactical loads. As for the SAAMI I specs, the same can also be said for the hotter hand loads.

A perfect example to compare the 2 specs is with the .223 and 5.56 ARs. You can repeatedly safely shoot .223 and 5.56 ammo in a AR chambered for 5.56. But you can only safely shoot .223 ammo in an AR chambered for .223.

As for ammo costs, yes factory ammo is expensive. The cheapest I've found is Remington UMC 115gr FMJ rounds...which is only good for plinking in my experience. The next best ammo for plinking and hunting, which I've found extremely accurate is Silver State Armory 110gr Sierra Pro-hunters. So depending on what you get it'll cost you about $0.80-1 per round. Luckily, reloading makes it a whole lot cheaper, right around $0.35 per round with the right components.

I wanted an AR for hunting with, and my choices back at the time was a 6.8 SPC AR15 or a .308 AR10. As most know, an AR10 is noticeably heavier and you are pretty much stuck with the AR10 platform only. Since the rifle was going to be my hunting rig, I took into account the weight and went with the AR15...and since it's more versatile than the AR10, I'm now getting a 5.56 upper, with the option to also get uppers in .450 Bushmaster, .458 SOCOM, 7.62x39, etc...

As for hunting, the 6.8mm SPC round will take out any medium sized game at 200-300 yds. I've also heard that hunters have taken elk and bear with a 6.8. I've yet to regret getting a 6.8 SPC.
Thanx guys.

Old 12-23-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3471 Times on 1678 Posts
Likes Given: 1743

A couple of years ago I was with Dick Metcalf on a hunt and Dick was using a 6.8 SPC Rock River Arms 16" Tactical Car A-4 Rifle to hunt deer . Obviously as we know shot placement is all important when shooting a deer with any caliber for that matter! But he shot a nice 8 pt. Buck at 150 yards. When the bullet hit as we like to see, the deer's head went down as he arched his back to run. He only traveled around 50 yards and went down DRT! If you can find Peterson's Hunting CD Season 3 filmed at Collins Creek Ranch in Albany Texas you can view the shot.
Bottom line they will take a deer down and as with the 243 Win. Cal. a well placed shot will do the job!

Old 12-23-2011, 10:36 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

The 6.8 is just about the perfect deer/hog caliber out there. I am using the SSA 85 gr tsx load right now and I have killed hogs up to 260 lb and I shot a doe a couple of weeks ago at 185 yards. I plan on trying the 95gr barnes ttsx next. The 6.8 is good out to 250-300 yards.

Newest Threads