6.8 spc reloads
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 6.8 spc reloads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 06:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 6.8 spc reloads

O.k., so I built an AR chambered in 6.8 spc so it is legal for me to use for humting in the state of Washington. I want to start reloading my ammo because it is $1/round otherwise. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanx.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #2

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm not a reloader, but let me refer you to a forum that has more expertise in all things 6.8 SPC, including loading your own, than anywhere else:

http://68forums.com/forums/forum.php

Also, one of the forum's sponsors is an excellent source for factory 6.8 SPC ammo, especially if you're interested in some of the hotter "tactical" loads the 6.8 SPC Spec II chamber is designed to handle:

http://www.ssarmory.com/

Hunting ammo can be expensive, but one of the most accurate and effective hunting rounds is the 110 grain Sierra ProHunter, which comes in at about $.80/round. I bought a bulk pack of it from SSA and use it for range ammo as well.

I built a dedicated hunting AR a year ago, utilizing an ARPrecision (ARP) - another forum sponsor - 18" SS SPR barrel with MI 12" SS free-floating fore end, and built my own lower from a RRA LPK and a Mega Gator lower. It is a tack driver topped with a Trijicon 3-9X40 green Mil-dot scope.

Good luck. You'll really enjoy the 6.8 SPC platform.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 04-17-2012, 11:46 AM   #3

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Check with your State Conservation people for their standards.

As for reloading, there is three kinds of shooters. The kind that is too stupid to reload. The kind that is too lazy. And the rest of us, or those who just haven't gotten around to it yet. You have already proven that you don't fall in the first two categories.

The 6.8 looks like an excellent game getter.

Hate to break the bad news , but you won't save any money by reloading. You will just shoot more.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Old 04-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #4

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I fall into one of the first two categories ^^^^^^, I'm just not sure which...

But he's right, you probably won't save money in the end, but you'll have a lot more fun!

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 04-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's ok if I can shoot more. My wife wants to try shooting it, & we take the kids to the range a lot. I just want to be able to afford to shoot it offten.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #6

That's alright treehugger49, you will get around to it some day.
The problem I have is that I like to shoot. Then I realize that it is time to reload. That is when being lazy sneaks in.

I'll bet that you already are saving your brass (you may be claiming that it is for a buddy to use). If not, start. The bug will get to you soon enough. It's very enjoyable to take what some see as only trash, clean it, size it, load it and shoot it all over again

I figured I would get flamed. But threw caution to the wind early in the morning and tried some levity. All in fun. Did you notice that I gave three reasons that counted out to four?

Enjoy,

OSOK

Old 04-17-2012, 05:30 PM   #7

Ozz2g,
I just realized that I didn't address your request for guidance in reloading.

First get a good book or two or three. OK, the prices have went out the roof on books. Check at used book stores and yard sales. Knowledge is knowledge and it doesn't change. The tools and components vary over time but the processes don't.
Now get a good reloading manual. I have many and for now I seem to be checking more with 'Modern Reloading, Second Edition' by Richard Lee. He doesn't stuff his product down my throat as much as some other tool/component makes seem to.
Next up, actually you can start this now, check out the many forums reloading sections and most, including this one, have very good stickies devoted to the beginner. Read. If you have a question, ask.
With all of the above completed, now you may start worrying with what primers or brass or powders and just which press or presses you want. Then make sure you check the availability of what you like and the prices. With you choices made and adjusted a few times, you will be ready to spend you cash. Remember, if you can build a good relationship with your local gun shop, you will benefit from it. But shop around, in person and on line. Don't forget that shipping and those stupid hazmat fees are killers many times.
To the loading. TAKE YOU TIME! There is no rush. Speed will come with time if that is in you requirements.

The 'always' collection.
Always error on the side of safety!
Always defer to know and trusted loading data!
Always fall back on the first rule in there is any question!

I don't load the 6.8 (yet). I'm still working with the 300 Blackout as my first non 223/5.56 AR. There is a lot of animosity between the followers of both. I don't see it. Its just drag race time between Chevy and Mopar and Ford to me.

Enjoy,

OSOK