Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 6.8 spc ll build questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 374 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller
Smart thinking! I've got a couple standards sitting around on my bench and ill definitely try one. Mostly planning on shooting 110-115 grain loads. Should have plenty of gas pressure. This is the reason for the adjustable gas block. Between that and a couple different buffers I ought to be able to dial it in.
You should be on the clear then lol. Let us know what combination you use!

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 11-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #42

Liked 195 Times on 159 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Test fired 60 rds this weekend. Still no comp so it will be a little off. No mags yet so all single shot off the bobsled poly magblock. Tried standard buffer and H buffer. Standard ran all the way down to ~10% on the gas block before it shortstroked and didn't lock open. Very over gassed! The H runs smoother down to~40% setting on gas block before it failed to completely cycle. Recoil impulse felt much less sharp also. I think the heavier buffer is definitely the way to go. Didn't want to have to start reloading yet, plus weather sucked so I cut testing short.

I'll be trying an H2 and possibly an H3 the next time I'm home. I'd like to get to ~75% on the gas block and still have relatively soft impulse at the shoulder. That should allow me to run just about any 6.8 standard load through the rifle with reliable cycle. Speed shooting means very little on a hunting gun so I'm looking for smooth.

If the H3 buffer doesn't get me there I'll try pouring a custom buffer weight. Call it an H4!

Worked some on the lower parts then decided to wait for a seekins forged lower. Got the order in with a couple weeks wait time. Did the trials on one of my PSA MOE lowers.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 11-25-2013 at 08:49 PM.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #43

Update: H2 buffer gave me the right function after another 100 rds. Group is MOA at 100 yds with factory ammo. A little work will shrink it some, looking for 0.75 at 100. Handloads should take care of that! Recoil is a little more than 223 but very manageable. Water jug testing shows much higher energy than 223. Comp came in along with the 10 and 25 rd mags. Allowed for easier testing. Both mags feed flawlessly. Comp noticeably reduced recoil and flip compared to bare barrel.

Still waiting on lower build kit, shows on back order now.

Thinking about one of the Anderson magnisium lowers with integrated trigger guard. Lighter than the seekins and looks right. Not feeling the seekins on this build any more. Ill save it for another project. Still doing FDE based camo on this one, the duracoat was there when I got home.

Update: ran 50 10 rd groups through the .223 varmit rifle after POF roller cam install. Group size dropped 0.1 MOA average! If this repeats I'll be putting these in every varmiter I build! Doesn't sound like much, but this gun dropped from 0.55 MOA to 0.45 MOA!!!

I think the roller is letting the bolt lock up more consistently. Small change, big results!

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

Last edited by dwmiller; 12-25-2013 at 08:36 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-26-2013, 11:28 PM   #44

That's awesome. Thank you for the buffer info, I've been waiting to hear back about it

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Firearms Talk mobile app

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

dwmiller Likes This 
Old 12-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post
That's awesome. Thank you for the buffer info, I've been waiting to hear back about it

Just bear in mind that I've got an adjustable gas block on it to fine tune. Could be completely different with a wide open gas block.

The comp changed my gas settings when it was installed. I started testing with a bare barrel. Added A1 style flash hider, looks nice but no improvement. And then installed the custom comp when it came in, big improvement in muzzle jump. With the comp had to back down about 10% on gas level. POI also changed by about 1.5"(higher). Just shows how effective a good compensator really is!

Also ordered 5 more roller cams. I feel the need for wider testing after my varmit rifle. Going to put one in each of my personal AR's, the hog gun definitely gets one now.

Last edited by dwmiller; 12-27-2013 at 12:16 AM.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:15 AM   #46

Haha I understand. Still gives me something to reference

Old 12-27-2013, 12:19 AM   #47

Really loved the 6.8 after my trigger time. Hits like a 30-06, recoils like my 7x57 Mauser, nice and easy! Try the hornady ammo, that SST bullet is awesome! Really explodes a waterjug target and soooo accurate.

Next session I'll try some reloads ( rem 115 SP, and nosler 110 plastictips) and a couple other brands of factory ammo. Plus I need to start stepping out the ranges so I can get a feel for bullet drop.

Last edited by dwmiller; 12-27-2013 at 02:40 AM.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:26 AM   #48

I have some of the 120 sst already. And then some hornady 110s also.