6.8 spc ll build questions - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 6.8 spc ll build questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 04:43 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post

Well That probably settles it ACS-L it is. Now I just wait for PSA to run another sale on that build kit.
I don't think u will be disappointed.

I chose the ACS because I enjoy the extra cheek weld and the extra storage tubes are just a bonus (aswell as a Lil extra weight on the back end of ur rifle).

My other choice woulda been the STR I just preferred the styling of the ACS more.

But the ACS-L should serve u well.

Work Hard Play Hard

Last edited by BigBizz87; 10-25-2013 at 04:52 AM.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #32

Liked 214 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

i have seen the Witt Machine compensators, pricey but they look very well made.

glad to hear you got the compensator issue worked out.
Pricey but no worse that the levang linear $75, or the seekins precision $125 comp that I use on my other rifles. Plenty cheap when you figure the hrs I'd have been out if I had to make an adapter. Nice look too, ill duracoat along with the rest of the upper/lower. Still a lot to do yet.

~$600 spent at this time. Should be under $900 finished, duracoated camo with three 25 round mags, 100 rds of ammo and the 6.8 reloading dies. Pretty cheap for a topshelf parts build.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 10-25-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-25-2013, 10:21 PM   #33
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21298 Times on 12085 Posts
Likes Given: 53065

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
Pricey but no worse that the levang linear $75, or the seekins precision $125 comp that I use on my other rifles. Plenty cheap when you figure the hrs I'd have been out if I had to make an adapter. Nice look too, ill duracoat along with the rest of the upper/lower. Still a lot to do yet.

~$600 spent at this time. Should be under $900 finished, duracoated camo with three 25 round mags, 100 rds of ammo and the 6.8 reloading dies. Pretty cheap for a topshelf parts build.
well i'm staying tuned to see it finished! sounds like it's going to be an amazing looking rifle.

i became really interested in the 6.8 when it first hit the scene. problem was that nobody then yet made one in a bolt action. i have read up some on the Cooper and Dakota rifles that were built up in that caliber and they seemed very impressive.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:43 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post

well i'm staying tuned to see it finished! sounds like it's going to be an amazing looking rifle.

i became really interested in the 6.8 when it first hit the scene. problem was that nobody then yet made one in a bolt action. i have read up some on the Cooper and Dakota rifles that were built up in that caliber and they seemed very impressive.
I got interested in the caliber last year. Been building ar's for about five years. Have the varmit rifle, carbine and a couple others. Exmilitary, so I know the limits of the 223.

Had a hog a buddy shot last fall run better than a mile. Heluva track to follow. Knew I wanted better terminal performance for a dedicated hog rifle. Had to be lightweight also. First choice was 458socom/50 Beowulf. Both too pricey, limited or just weird for my taste. 6.5 Grendel is still Alexander arms propriatary. Single source, bad! Looked at the ar10, nice but I really wanted the lighter ar15. Came down to 300 AAC or 6.8 SPC, better range with the 6.8. SAMMI spec cartrige with good reports from those that shot it. Choice made.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

Last edited by dwmiller; 10-26-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Old 10-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #35

Well things are on hold for a while. $1500 fuel tank on my big truck puts a hole in the build budget for a couple weeks.

At least guns aren't like horses. They don't eat when they are sitting.

Old 11-04-2013, 01:50 AM   #36

Stopped at Outpost Armory on my way thru Tennessee. Nice place, good selection. Everyone there seems to know their stuff. Picked up 3 boxes of Hornaday 6.8 with the 120 grain sst bullets. Supposed to be the cream of the 6.8 ammo.~$25 a box of 20, not the cheapest but 6.8 isn't cheap to shoot

Passed on mags, only ones they had for 6.8 were ~$60 for a 25 rounder. I'll wait and order from PSA. At that price I can get three 25's!

Also picked up POF-USA roller cam pin. Replaces the cam pin in the bolt assembly, has a roller bearing to ride in the can channel on the upper. ~$20 impulse buy, but looks like a pretty good idea to reduce friction as the bolt slides. Will get tested in my varmit rifle when I get off. ....

Third time I've stopped here, good ammo and reloading selection. Still no 22lr's guess I'll need to place an order and wait it out.

Last edited by dwmiller; 11-04-2013 at 01:58 AM.

Old 11-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #37

Just stopped at Cabelas in fort worth,TX. Picked up another hundred bullets, Remington 115 grain MC .277 6.8's, on sale for $19.99. And got two pounds of H335 powder to load with. Should be good to go as far as reloading.

Last edited by dwmiller; 11-12-2013 at 02:43 AM.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:28 AM   #38

Ok, its been on hold for a while but we're moving forward again! Ordered a flash hider(A1) from JSE with the right threads. This is a temp fix until my comp comes in.

Question, what buffer should I try to start? Thinking H or H2 should be about right? !? Anyone built something similar before and can give me some guidance, feel free to chime in.

Update the roller cam pin works great but was a pain to install. Need to remove the staked on gas key, install cam pin, firing pin and then restake gas key. Feels much smoother when I rack the charging handle. . Probably wouldn't rate as a shtf rifle upgrade but on the varmiter every detail helps.

Last edited by dwmiller; 11-22-2013 at 03:34 AM.

Old 11-22-2013, 03:32 AM   #39

Liked 374 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller
Ok, its been on hold for a while but we're moving forward again! Ordered a flash hider(A1) from JSE with the right threads. This is a temp fix until my comp comes in. Question, what buffer should I try to start? Thinking H or H2 should be about right? !? Anyone built something similar before and can give me some guidance, feel free to chime in.
Standard or H1. Go up as needed. Dont make assumptions off of 223 buffer experience. H2 could very easily be too heavy for 95gr loads.

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 11-22-2013, 03:41 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSadPanda View Post

Standard or H1. Go up as needed. Dont make assumptions off of 223 buffer experience. H2 could very easily be too heavy for 95gr loads.
Smart thinking! I've got a couple standards sitting around on my bench and ill definitely try one. Mostly planning on shooting 110-115 grain loads. Should have plenty of gas pressure. This is the reason for the adjustable gas block. Between that and a couple different buffers I ought to be able to dial it in.