You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

6.8 spc ll build questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 12:50 AM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22401 Times on 12496 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmiller View Post
Thanks for the info but the only 1/2-36 threaded they offer is the EGW's flash hiders, and both are out of stock. Problem is rare threaded barrel for this caliber.
Guess I'll be running the lathe a night or two while I'm off. Need to order a 1/2-36 bottoming and starting dies before I get home.
if you can't find what you want, there's always modifying a part is my motto!

Old 10-15-2013, 01:03 AM   #22

Liked 1368 Times on 973 Posts
Likes Given: 2081

Probably the way I will go. I really like the levang linear comp I've got on my 223 varmit rifle. I'll probably just order one in 5/8-24 and make a sleeve adapter to fit it to my barrels 1/2-36 threads. Now I know why the barrel was such a good deal....

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-21-2013, 07:35 PM   #23

Ok 90% done on the upper. Still waiting on the compensator. I did finish assembling the long backburnered 223 Moe carbine and ran 60 rds through it. Pretty smooth for a carbine length gas system. I will probably try an h2 buffer before I take it back down for paint.

Sorry no pics, cam-phone ate them.

Update on UTG handguard. Looks great, fit requires dremel work to fit my billet upper. Nothing major just a!

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

Old 10-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #24

Ok 90% done on the upper. Still waiting on the compensator. I did finish assembling the long backburnered 223 Moe carbine and ran 60 rds through it. Pretty smooth for a carbine length gas system. I will probably try an h2 buffer before I take it back down for paint.

Sorry no pics, cam-phone ate them.

Update on UTG handguard. Looks great, fit requires dremel work to fit my billet upper. Nothing major just an 1/32" on two spots. Would probably fit milspec upper without any work. Nice barrel nut mounting system, no need to time it to get the gas tube to fit. Comes with its own barrel nut wrench, nice touch for $100 handguard. VERY solid once its screwed in place. Two thumbs up.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #25

Ok guys next question. I was going to use a magpul Moe fixed rifle stock with the longer barrel. Just doesn't look right on a carbine barrel. Has anyone used the acs-l carbine stock? Does it lock up solid on the tube, or does it wobble like the car stocks? Or should I just pony up the cash and buy the ubr or prs stock? I know they are heavier, not a problem, helps with 6.8 recoil.

Need something solid as this is going to be my goto rifle for hog and deer, and I hate the stock wobble with optics!

Update, emailed Jerry at Witt machine. They can custom thread one of their companies compensators in 1/2-36. Will put in an order in a few days. Nice people, fast response.

Last edited by dwmiller; 10-25-2013 at 12:29 AM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 10-25-2013, 12:48 AM   #26
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22401 Times on 12496 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Ok guys next question. I was going to use a magpul Moe fixed rifle stock with the longer barrel. Just doesn't look right on a carbine barrel. Has anyone used the acs-l carbine stock? Does it lock up solid on the tube, or does it wobble like the car stocks? Or should I just pony up the cash and buy the ubr or prs stock? I know they are heavier, not a problem, helps with 6.8 recoil.

Need something solid as this is going to be my goto rifle for hog and deer, and I hate the stock wobble with optics!

Update, emailed Jerry at Witt machine. They can custom thread one of their companies compensators in 1/2-36. Will put in an order in a few days. Nice people, fast response.
i have seen the Witt Machine compensators, pricey but they look very well made.

glad to hear you got the compensator issue worked out.

Old 10-25-2013, 02:43 AM   #27

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Anyone seen the new LWRC M6.8??
This one had the new Trijicon VCOG sight on it looks BADASS!!

forumrunner_20131024_214140.jpg

Old 10-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #28

Liked 508 Times on 342 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Most of the magpul stocks with the locking feature are pretty solid, but on occasion they have a small amount of play. If it's absolutely necessary it doesn't move, then get something fixed or with a different locking mechanism.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:07 AM   #29

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Ok guys next question. I was going to use a magpul Moe fixed rifle stock with the longer barrel. Just doesn't look right on a carbine barrel. Has anyone used the acs-l carbine stock? Does it lock up solid on the tube, or does it wobble like the car stocks? Or should I just pony up the cash and buy the ubr or prs stock?
I have an ACS on my 5.56 very solid no wobble at all it's my favorite stock offering from magpul

My .02
Old 10-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBizz87 View Post
I have an ACS on my 5.56 very solid no wobble at all it's my favorite stock offering from magpul

My .02
Well That probably settles it ACS-L it is. Now I just wait for PSA to run another sale on that build kit.