6.8 spc ll build questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 6.8 spc ll build questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 257 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Hey, got a question for the experts. I'm in the middle of a new 6.8 20" rifle build. I am leaning toward the yhm barrel but I've noticed the twist rates vary a bunch in this caliber. I've seen everything from 1-8.5 to 1-12 depending on the manufacter. Can someone give me a little guidance on correct twist for this caliber?

Barrel in question is YHM-88-F 20" fluted chrome lined barrel with a 1-10 twist rate. I'm guessing that Yankee Hill probably is the standard twist.

New to the caliber but it's my 41st AR build. I don't need general build advice just caliber specific info.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 10-03-2013 at 03:02 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #2

Well change of plans, I found a 16" 6.8 SPC II barrel with a 1-10 twist for $125 + shipping. Barrel is threaded 1/2-36 which is a little odd (1/2-36 is standard for the 9mm). Looks like I'll be firing up the lathe to make a custom comp when this comes in, but at that price its half the YHM barrel.

I went through and read all the info I could find last night and pretty well answered my twist rate questions. Turns out that lots of different twists were tried during design and 1-10 won out as the standard for 110 grain bullets. Also turns out that the 6.8 is designed around short barrels and is optimum at 16" and shorter. Probably saved 1.5 lbs off my build. Goodby long rifle, hello sweet carbine deerslayer.

Thanks all for the PM's with the links. Here are the ones that helped me make my decision.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/6.8_mm_Remington_SPC
http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.8-mm-spc-cartridge-history-development-hornady-stag-arms-carbine/?p=1
http://68forums.com/forums/forum.php?
^^^^definitely check this forum out if you are interested in this caliber.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

Last edited by dwmiller; 10-04-2013 at 10:14 PM.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #3

Ok barrel came in today. I'll get home next weekend and get the upper assembled. Hopefully my 6.8 mags from psa arrive before I get there. A little function testing fun and then strip it back down for duracoat. Desert digital with tan furniture sounds just about right for this rifle.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts

Sounds pretty cool man. Sorry but I know 0 about 6.8 so I don't have any advice for ya. I like the sound of it though and new builds are always exciting. Keep us posted and let's see some pics :-)

Old 10-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #5

Liked 379 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Good call on not going with a 20" barrel. You gain almost nothing FPS wise but you do gain a lot of weight. 16-18" is optimum for spcII barrels. Also, 1/10 and 1/11 are the two main twists for this cartridge. Either will work just fine and then some. They say that 1/11 is supposed to be better, but it all depends on the load, grainage, and all that jazz. I'm also working on a 6.8 build currently, so keep us (me in particular) updated on your build. I'm very interested to see what you do with it.

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 10-14-2013, 12:51 AM   #6

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

What's the difference between spc and spcII?

Old 10-14-2013, 01:04 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1203 Times on 672 Posts
Likes Given: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love View Post
What's the difference between spc and spcII?
Different chamber specs. Sorry I cannot quote them verbatim.

To convert a spcI to SpcIi, you have to ream the chamber.

Old 10-14-2013, 01:33 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post

Different chamber specs. Sorry I cannot quote them verbatim.

To convert a spcI to SpcIi, you have to ream the chamber.
I had no idea a new spec was out. So I'm guessing spcII is superior to spc? Can spc be fired from an spcII weapon?

Old 10-14-2013, 03:18 AM   #9

Liked 379 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911love
I had no idea a new spec was out. So I'm guessing spcII is superior to spc? Can spc be fired from an spcII weapon?
There were pressure and twist issues with the original SPC chamber. SPC II allows for a broader grain usage and better accuracy with those loads. SPC II Is rated for higher pressure loads, so it can shoot any original spc loads. The only loads you have to look out for are the high power tactical and hunting loads like the ones SSA offers. Those loads should never be fired in an original SPC chamber. You can technically get away with firing medium to low powered spcII ammo in an spc chamber, but is ill advised. It's not worth the risk.

"You know what happens to men who go looking for blood? They find it." - Kind Old Man

Old 10-14-2013, 03:58 AM   #10

Thanks Panda. Down the road I want to build an SPR in 6.8, now I know it's got to be spcII.