6.8 spc barrels
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 6.8 spc barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Default 6.8 spc barrels

OK so I am on the look out for AR parts. I am finding a few 6.8spc barrels but not the ones I am wanting. I want a barrel that has a gasblock with a top rail I don't want that stupid looking milspec triangle front sight.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-22-2011, 04:32 PM   #2

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Here's a couple links,

Match Grade Barrel | 6.8 SPC | Tactical Hunter Lightweight-Wilson Combat

Bison Armory - Custom Barrels

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I love this country. Its funny how taste changes so rapidly from person to person. I personally have a strong disliking for railed gas blocks. When I see them my first thought is UTG.

If it were me Id skip the railed GB and go w/ an extended rail w/ lo-pro GB. If you already have the OE style GB you can cut it down into a lo-pro GB retaining the pins. A pinned GB is by far the most secure.

As far as 6.8 barrels go DD is making some and Innovative Tactical Systems LLC, Made in USA, AR 15 uppers, piston operated tactical upper, 5.56, 6.8spc, custom precision barrels makes great barrels. I believe 6.8 is a specialty of his.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #4

I want NO rails on this rifle except for the gas block. I am thinking either a top rail or a 2 rail so I can add an adapter for my current bipod. There will be no (NO) railed handguard or anything like that on this. I am not going got Tacticool Mall ninja. I am going for a light weight easy to shoot deer rifle that in a few years I can give to my son on his first deer hunt....

If I go 6.8 it is going to be strictly a deer/ hog rifle. Maybe what a few yotes with it.

I found a 20" 6.8 spc barrel with bolt for $279 at midwayusa.

I am also thinking of a 6.5 grendel but I would rather find a 32" barrel and get it in a FAST twist and make my AR-Ftr1000

Old 04-23-2011, 10:10 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

have you checked out Lother Walther barrels? They are not Krieger, but they will custom cut a chamber and make GREAT AR barrels.

JD

Old 04-24-2011, 01:04 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I want NO rails on this rifle except for the gas block. I am thinking either a top rail or a 2 rail so I can add an adapter for my current bipod. There will be no (NO) railed handguard or anything like that on this. I am not going got Tacticool Mall ninja. I am going for a light weight easy to shoot deer rifle that in a few years I can give to my son on his first deer hunt....

If I go 6.8 it is going to be strictly a deer/ hog rifle. Maybe what a few yotes with it.

I found a 20" 6.8 spc barrel with bolt for $279 at midwayusa.

I am also thinking of a 6.5 grendel but I would rather find a 32" barrel and get it in a FAST twist and make my AR-Ftr1000
I guess we see things differently.

As far as lightweight, a Troy TRX EXT w/ low-pro GB is lighter than a OE plastic style HG w/ heat shield of similar length and railed GB. Theres a thread covering this topic on another forum. The guy even shows pictures of the parts on digital scales.

My first response wasn't meant to be offensive. It was just a response to your expression about the stupid OE style FSB. I think a railed GB looks cheap. Do you remember those old JCWhitney catalogs w/ all those goddy nick-knacks?

Nothing personal. Like I said before different tastes make this country great.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:14 AM   #7

Just remember the issues with Spec 1 and Spec 2 chambers. If you do not get the chamber right the barrel quality may be unimportant. I went Model 1 and have not shot it yet and I must say I am more than a little nervous about if the rifle is going to shoot well or not. The winter weather may finally have left but then there is work so I am hoping to get out next weekend to find out how it does.

Old 04-26-2011, 04:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkeat View Post
I guess we see things differently.

As far as lightweight, a Troy TRX EXT w/ low-pro GB is lighter than a OE plastic style HG w/ heat shield of similar length and railed GB. Theres a thread covering this topic on another forum. The guy even shows pictures of the parts on digital scales.

My first response wasn't meant to be offensive. It was just a response to your expression about the stupid OE style FSB. I think a railed GB looks cheap. Do you remember those old JCWhitney catalogs w/ all those goddy nick-knacks?

Nothing personal. Like I said before different tastes make this country great.
None taken.

I just don't want railed handguards because I think they are STUPID. I am not putting lasers, flashlights, donut box openers and forward hand grips on the thing I am building a short light weight short range deer rifle.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:53 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
None taken.

I just don't want railed handguards because I think they are STUPID. I am not putting lasers, flashlights, donut box openers and forward hand grips on the thing I am building a short light weight short range deer rifle.
Once again a rail (Troy TRX Extreme, top and bottom rail only, no 3 and 9 o'clock rail) and low profile GB are a lighter option to your standard plastic HG w/ heat shields and FSB. So if lightweight is your target a rail will better accomplish that goal. A rail is also your best bet if wanting to mount a bipod. If you're not wanting to go as lightweight as you can and not wanting the most solid bipod you can have then a OE plastic HG will be ok.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:45 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Looking forward to this build Tango.
Just to weigh in on the rail debate, I'm not a big fan of quad rails myself. Like you, I find them heavy and bulky and I just don't have a need for all that rail real estate.
The Troy TRX battlerail(and its sister the VTAC battlerail) are about the lightest free float tubes on the market. Small tube diameter, not super expensive and only the top is railed. It comes with rail sections you can bolt on anywhere you would need, like for a bipod.
I mounted a fixed front sight and mount a light on the top rail of my carbine. You could leave yours bare.
The only section I added was one medium rail for the fore grip. A small one should work fine for a bipod, and since it'd be mounted to the free float tube instead of to the barrel/gas block I would think it wouldn't have the negative effect on accuracy like the barrel mount would.

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 04-27-2011 at 01:48 AM.