6.8 spc - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 6.8 spc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugger49
Ballistically speaking, the 6.8 SPC falls midway between the 5.56 and the .308.

It makes an excellent mid-range (350 yards +/-) hunting round for medium sized game. Many states don't permit the .223/5.56 for hunting deer, for instance.

Although inexpensive plinking ammo isn't available, quality hunting rounds are no more expensive than that for any other caliber at about $1/round. Look for the price of 6.8 SPC ammo to come down as more manufacturers ramp up their production in 6.8.
Well i know it is kind of a in between round.
I still think it is pretty cool round

Old 07-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2570 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Some additional on the 6.8 SPC. There are still some special ops units over in the sand box using this caliber. In addition the military did some testing on it in the past couple of years and had it in actual combat. Most preferred the round well over the 5.56. However, looking at the overall picture logistically and with the money available to the military due to the economy it was a dead issue actually before it started.
Can you imagine all the extra M-4 and M-16 parts the military has in stores as well as 5.56 ammunition. Not to mention, in a foreign war theater a lot of our allied nations have the M-4 and M-16. The new 6.8 would require a massive ammunition change over as well as magazines for all the 6.8s which would be an astronomical expense. They could get by with changing the Bolts on the existing rifles but then due to some being worn from use other issues would have to be addressed like putting new bolts in and possible head space problems and other maintenance issues. The military just does not do things that way. SO it would be all new rifles to trade out the M-4s.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 07-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03

Some additional on the 6.8 SPC. There are still some special ops units over in the sand box using this caliber. In addition the military did some testing on it in the past couple of years and had it in actual combat. Most preferred the round well over the 5.56. However, looking at the overall picture logistically and with the money available to the military due to the economy it was a dead issue actually before it started.
Can you imagine all the extra M-4 and M-16 parts the military has in stores as well as 5.56 ammunition. Not to mention, in a foreign war theater a lot of our allied nations have the M-4 and M-16. The new 6.8 would require a massive ammunition change over as well as magazines for all the 6.8s which would be an astronomical expense. They could get by with changing the Bolts on the existing rifles but then due to some being worn from use other issues would have to be addressed like putting new bolts in and possible head space problems and other maintenance issues. The military just does not do things that way. SO it would be all new rifles to trade out the M-4s.

Thanks for the info
I hope those guys in the sand box are liking the round

Old 07-16-2012, 03:56 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I looked at the 6.8 SPC for a while before I got my 5.56 and the only reason I went 5.56 was the cost, for plinking it just wasn't feasible. I actually bought a box of 20 rounds because up to the last minute I was still going to get it. It's a great all around round I wanted to hunt with it since its a .277 caliber and most states its .243 and up. Better than 5.56 in stopping power. Like others have said you can have two guns in one, just buy the upper and the mags and you have a 5.56 and 6.8 SPC. That's in the works because I still want a gun for that round. I just wanted to shoot more at the time so I went 5.56 first.

Read up on it and don't fall into the hype the government didn't use it so it must be no good. Like another poster said it just wasn't cost effective or practical to replace all the M4 and 5.56 that's alot of logistics. A old gun guy I talk to know a special ops guy and they have used them and they like them.

1989 what barrel twist is yours?

Old 07-16-2012, 04:10 PM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPEZO
I looked at the 6.8 SPC for a while before I got my 5.56 and the only reason I went 5.56 was the cost, for plinking it just wasn't feasible. I actually bought a box of 20 rounds because up to the last minute I was still going to get it. It's a great all around round I wanted to hunt with it since its a .277 caliber and most states its .243 and up. Better than 5.56 in stopping power. Like others have said you can have two guns in one, just buy the upper and the mags and you have a 5.56 and 6.8 SPC. That's in the works because I still want a gun for that round. I just wanted to shoot more at the time so I went 5.56 first.

Read up on it and don't fall into the hype the government didn't use it so it must be no good. Like another poster said it just wasn't cost effective or practical to replace all the M4 and 5.56 that's alot of logistics. A old gun guy I talk to know a special ops guy and they have used them and they like them.

1989 what barrel twist is yours?
1x 11.3 right twist

Old 07-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Cool 1 and 11 was the one I found to be the best.

Old 07-16-2012, 04:49 PM   #17

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPEZO
Cool 1 and 11 was the one I found to be the best.
Thats good to know.
I think my rifles pretty sweet