6.8 spc

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 6.8 spc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 12:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 43 Posts

Default 6.8 spc

I have never used the 6.8 spc but I know several of you have them for pistols and sbr's. My question is what do you think of it for out to 500 yards? I believe its still supersonic out to that range. Just curious on this one really.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Firearms Talk mobile app

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-20-2014, 01:33 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2721 Times on 1327 Posts
Likes Given: 1385

sigman,

Lets put it this way! The 6.8 is no 500 yard round for sure. Drops like a rock after 200 yards. With max loads it drops around 90 inches at 500 when zeroed at 100 and around 80 inches zeroed at 200 yards. As far as is it an effective round for deer at 100-150 yes indeed it is. We have shot deer and pigs with it up to 150 yards and had a lot of one shot kills. But long range it is not. But it was not designed for that! But it is a good round and superior to the 5.56 as far as effect.
Hope this helps!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 03-20-2014, 01:54 AM   #3

Ok ya that helps. Like I said never shot one or anything so ya thanks bud.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #4

Liked 396 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 542

True^^^^^, superior to 556 in energy in m4 ranges. That's what the design called for. Much better round in terminal ballistics out to 200-300 quite good on hogs/deer.

That said, I've varmited with it a couple times. Accurate enough at 500 but the holdover makes hitting pretty iffy at this range. Tried handloads with 70 grain varmit grenades, mixed results. Hope this helps.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Old 03-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 766 Posts
Likes Given: 704

i havent used it on a deer yet. i tried but was not meant to be yet. but i have done plenty of shooting with it. but only out to 100yrds. i like it alot so far but shooting out to 500 would be iffy i think. stay inside of 250yds and your probly good. as far as compared to shooting the 5.56 its barely a difference. but so far its a nice round.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #6

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1395512992.229576.jpg
LWRC in new issue of Recoil. Only set you back 2300 plus NFA tax. Redesigned around 6.8 pmags, they compare it to an imperial blaster after the white and black two tone finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #7

Ya I was just curious about the round for a possible dmr upper with like a 4x scope or something.

Old 03-26-2014, 12:30 AM   #8

Liked 396 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 542

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigman84 View Post
Ya I was just curious about the round for a possible dmr upper with like a 4x scope or something.

Works great for that role. The round is basicly the 556 upgraded for more terminal energy. Pretty much the same ballistic envelope, and a tiny bit more recoil.

I chose it for a dedicated hog hunting rifle, pretty much for the greater takedown power. Appx 15-20% more depending on the bullet used. The round is dead accurate within its range, so should be a good choice as a DMR cartridge. 4x or 6x should be plenty of glass since you don't plan to varmit with it. Works well with shorter barrels, 18 would be about the Max length for top velocity. 20+ really doesn't gain you anything but a heavier gun..

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"
-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 03-26-2014 at 12:38 AM.

Old 03-26-2014, 01:12 AM   #9

OK. The other round that I started looking at in the last couple days is the 6.5 grendel. What would you say is the max range for a 6.8 spc in a dmr build?

Old 03-26-2014, 01:23 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 783 Times on 521 Posts
Likes Given: 49

6.5 Grendel has way more legs than 6.8 spc is a great round but I would prefer Grendel for more intermediate distances like out to 800 meters

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

this message was sent using my Barrett 50 straight to your brain.