Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 6.8 spc 1 ammo discontinued?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 6.8 spc 1 ammo discontinued?

ok i just bought my first ar and its a 6.8 spc 1 i was told not 2 and today i went to a different store to get ammo and was told that they dont make 6.8 spc 1 ammo anymore and you can only get 6.8 spc 2 ammo is this true?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-29-2011, 10:04 AM   #2

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I think you're hearing rumors. I can find nothing solid on them no longer producing this caliber.
Not saying it's not true, just saying that I can dig no information up from a reliable source indicating that this caliber is toast.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:07 PM   #3

for sure yeah i went to a diff gun shop and the guy seemed to be a dick i asked how much they would pay for my new build bushmaster m4a3 6.8 spc upper carbine and spikes lower and the dude told me he would pay about 50 bucks for this gun and that spc 1 is garbage is this true like i said i am new to m4 type rifles but i paid 988 for everything including dros and california legal **** but i felt like that was just a slap in the face to tell me 50bucks for this brand new gun never shot once is that bs or what either way i still am looking to find if they dicscontinued it so thanks for the help and if anybody else no fir sure let me know thanks

Old 09-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #4

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushyspikemaster View Post
for sure yeah i went to a diff gun shop and the guy seemed to be a dick i asked how much they would pay for my new build bushmaster m4a3 6.8 spc upper carbine and spikes lower and the dude told me he would pay about 50 bucks for this gun and that spc 1 is garbage is this true like i said i am new to m4 type rifles but i paid 988 for everything including dros and california legal **** but i felt like that was just a slap in the face to tell me 50bucks for this brand new gun never shot once is that bs or what either way i still am looking to find if they dicscontinued it so thanks for the help and if anybody else no fir sure let me know thanks
First of all, as I said, no reliable information that it has been discontinued. Sounds like you are dealing with idiots.
On the issue of the firearm, if they did discontinue it?
Nice thing about the AR-15's? Even if by some fluke they DID discontinue the ammo, (which, I state again, I seriously doubt. Order it off the internet), you can change the barrel on an AR-15 for a reasonable amount of money.
Sounds like, and this isn't an insult, you ran into a couple of people, one of whom wanted to try and take advantage of someone who he doesn't think fully understands the firearm they have.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:58 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Sounds like you might be a candidate for reloading if this were true.
Until then: AmmoEngine: 6.8mm Remington SPC, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals

As for the DBs at the gunshop, scratch that place off of the list of places to shop in the future. As a bonus, mail the owner a letter explaining why.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 10-02-2011, 04:14 PM   #6

Default That is a load

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushyspikemaster View Post
ok i just bought my first ar and its a 6.8 spc 1 i was told not 2 and today i went to a different store to get ammo and was told that they dont make 6.8 spc 1 ammo anymore and you can only get 6.8 spc 2 ammo is this true?
Ammo to go, Silver State the list goes on. I love my ARP VtechExtreme great hog gun.

The maximum use of force is in no way incompatible with the simultaneous use of the intellect.
Clausewitz

Old 10-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #7

I don't claim to be an expert, as I'm building my first 6.8spc AR. However, 6.8spc, 6.8spc II, and 6.8x43 are simply different spec chambers. They all take the same ammo. Try 68forums.com for a bunch of good info on this caliber.

Last edited by Lincoln4; 10-02-2011 at 08:41 PM.