The 6.8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > The 6.8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default The 6.8

I have been wondering this cause in my neck of the woods i havent heard much about it in a while. I know tht at one time i heard tht the 6.8 was gonna replace the 5.56 in the military to keep them from changing the M16-M4 platform.. I know tht this hasnt happened but i dont know much about the caliber.. Is it a good solid caliber or has it kind of been left in the dark? Like i said im not trying to sound dumb, i just havent heard anything about it around here in a while

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5661 Times on 2957 Posts
Likes Given: 374

Thats just a wishful thinking interweb rumor.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-19-2011, 08:07 PM   #3

Default Nope, sorry, it ain't gonna happen...

The 6.8SPC came about through a collaboration of ideas with the US Army's 5th Special Forces Group, and Remington. Kills with the 5.56X45 were not being made with regularity in the mountains of Afghanistan, nor were they all that effective in Iraq. So, in order to field a rifle cartridge that could meet the needs of the Special Forces operatives, the 6.8SPC was developed.

Out to 400m, this cartridge is as effective as a round from a M1A, with 40% less recoil. Remember that the 6.8SPC is a .270 bullet, NOT a .30 caliber. Still, and all, the 115 to 130gr bullet IS more effective than the 5.56X45- regardless of bullet weight... IF you need to hit a target, by no means guaranteeing a kill at 1000yds, the 5.56X45, in the single shot 90gr loading can make the distance, accurately. The 6.8SPC cannot... Remember too, that the 6.8SPC only needs a dedicated BCG, barrel, and magazines. The standard AR15/M16/M4 lower will work, though I highly recommend a better, more robust recoil buffer...

How do I know about the 6.8SPC, or for that matter, the 5.56X45? Well for over 30 years, I owned different ARs, and had used M16s in the service. I owned two Match grade Armalite lowers, and had two complete sets of barrels (16" and 18") in chromed and non-chromed configurations, FA/BCGs for both calibers, in Lewis Machine & Tool MRP & CQB uppers... Both had Magpul sniper stocks, and the optics ranged from Aimpoint ML3 w/3X magnifiers, ATN night vision, or Leupold Mk 4 tactical scopes w/LaRue Tactical mounts and bases...

I DON'T like the 5.56X45- never have, never will...

I think that the 6.8SPC is a fine cartridge, for those that cannot handle the 7.62X51's recoil, though the proper rifle can easily mitigate/ameliorate that difficulty...

For those whose AO, and physical limitations preclude using the 7.62X51, the 6.8SPC is a good alternative. However, neither the 6.8SPC, nor the Grendel 6.5 have been, nor will be, adopted by the military. In fact, you will see more weapons being accepted in 7.62X51, as this cartridge is the best MBR candidate, as all engineering is a compromise, and it has a proven track record for accuracy and terminal performance...

Another thing to think about... Ammunition and magazines are NOT military standardized, and therefore cost and availability will be problematic... If you must go with the 6.8SPC, Silver State Armory is the best ammo vendor...

Hope this helps...

Glockcurmudgeon, out...

"You can kill a free man, you can't enslave him." -Robert Anson Heinlein- American Patriot

Shot placement is king, yes. But penetration is queen, and a wide wound channel is the ace in the hole. -Cuda66

Μολὼν λαβέ (Molōn labe!)

Old 09-20-2011, 06:08 AM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Glockcurmudgeon, just want to say i read the whole thing and i am pleased.

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 09-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I have some pictures that might change your mind about 5.56

Old 09-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I have seen some pricing on the 6.8 that changed my mind. back to 5.56 =)

- Gloves
"When the situation gets too hot, put Gloves on"
or
"If the gun is cold to the touch, put Gloves on" -RustyShackleford101

Old 09-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

LOL exactly

Old 09-21-2011, 03:12 AM   #8

Default Glad to share some light...

Gentlemen, I've seen what the 5.56X45 can do. Small, fast, unstable at impact rounds can wreck extraordinary damage. Likewise, the round cannot be counted upon to perform equally well from shot to shot... It's a crap shoot, and that is something that should be unacceptable...

In battle, you must have something besides your comrades to believe in- a weapon or weapons that will give you, and them, a better chance of staying alive. The 5.56X45 is suboptimal at best. It is a politicians solution to a non-question... It should have NEVER been adopted for military use- unless going after enemy gophers, squirrels, or rabbits...

Like the 9mm, the 5.56X45 was not an improvement over the weapon it replaced... No, the 1911 is NOT perfect, though, I firmly believe, the .45acp IS the perfect self defense handgun caliber... The 5.56X45 is NOT superior, or even equal to the 7.62X51, nor it's predecessor, the .30-06... It is a varmint cartridge, pressed into service, and not performing as needed...

IF there were people in authority in the Pentagon, that had the welfare of the troops, as well as the security of the United States first and foremost in their minds, the M4/M16 POS would be phased out as soon as possible, and replaced with 7.62X51 based weapons...

Whether it be AR10, HK91, PTR, CETME, FALFN, or Knight's, makes no difference, as long as they're new, and have the full backing of the military... THEN, the combat arena is pushed back to where an enemy is not safe within a thousand yards of one's position... Heavy weapon's platoons once again come into employment, with greater security for our troops...

6.8SPC? Should be used only by SpecOps personnel, in whatever capacity they deem necessary to their missions... Otherwise? Rich mans toy...

Glockcurmudgeon, out...

"You can kill a free man, you can't enslave him." -Robert Anson Heinlein- American Patriot

Shot placement is king, yes. But penetration is queen, and a wide wound channel is the ace in the hole. -Cuda66

Μολὼν λαβέ (Molōn labe!)

Old 09-21-2011, 03:13 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

As a combat vet who has used his 5.56x45 in a defensive and offensive role I disagree that the 7.62x51 would be a better round for todays troops. We had plenty of faith in our weapons system in fact it built confidence. We were very comfortable, in that manner, w/ our gear.

The x51 round itself has better ballistics but it's not all about ballistics. Most importantly you have to hump your gear and ammo. In todays battle field, the mountains of Afghanistan, weight is a huge factor. Making a soldier hump a load out heavier than they already do is setting them up for failure. Theres a reason 240B teams consist of two or more people, gunner, assistant gunner, and ammo barer.

Recoil, weapons handling becomes an issue you don't have with the M4 and SAW like you do the 240B. The heavier round requires a more robust weapon system. This equates to heavier weapons that are not only harder to manipulate but much more noticeable when hanging from your neck.

Do you think everyone should carry less ammo or have a ammo barer? Maybe the .mil can design some sort of wagon a soldier can pull behind them while on patrol.

People can say "man-up" and soldiers would, it's their nature but humping your gear is just part of the job. You have to be able to fight once you're there. We're not just inserting soldiers into the fight. Sometimes they are walking 18+ clicks a day for a week up and down mountains at elevation and clearing entire towns as they go before taking contact. A fresher soldier can fight much better than an exhausted one.

Though the x51 may be ballistically superior it's not the best fit for the way our guys fight.

Old 09-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2555 Times on 1249 Posts
Likes Given: 1285

As stated the 6.8 SPC is a good round. We have also hunted deer with it and have yet to experienced the need for a second round when shot placement was anywhere close to the correct location. Several of the shots were in the 150-200 yard range. I do not dislike the 5.56 NATO Round, however from shooting it as well as the 6.5 Grendel which I prefer is a better round than the 5.56 NATO. However with the 6.8 the ammunition is certainly not as cost friendly as the 5.56 and the 6.5 Grendel ammunition is harder to come buy if you do not reload yourself. A couple of companies are beginning to produce the Grendel at this time. The military gave up on the change to the 6.8 SPC primarily due to cost of the transition. Even though I have been advised that there are still a couple of special ops teams that still have them, I do not belive you will ever see the change in the foreseeable future.