Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 6.5 grendel build?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 07:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default 6.5 grendel build?

Hello all, I am new here and new too rifles, I'm good on handguns. I have a Rockriver entry heavy barrel with Daniel Defense rail on it, shoots great, and I have a S&W M&P 15 good rifle. I want build a 6.5 Grendel. I did some research and know a little stuff. I want something on an AR platform for distance. I wanna get a mega machines upper and lower, 20" or 24" Alexander Arms barrel and bolt, magpul stock, rockriver trigger, weighted buffer, troy industries rail handguard. How does this sound and where can I get good prices on parts.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #2

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I got my Mega lower from Rainier Arms out in Auburn, WA. Good guys to work with.

Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Mega Billet Upper / Lower Combo

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #3

You'll like the Grendel. I have two. Light recoil, but can easily shoot a large enough bullet to take down deer. Good luck with the build!

Member:
Bug Out Whale Competition Shooting Team
Louisiana Shooting Association Board of Directors
Palo Alto Rifle and Pistol Club
Field Precision Rifle Match Director

Old 07-15-2011, 06:40 AM   #4

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I'm excited about this. From what I have read about the 6.5 Grendel, it has awesome ballistics.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:28 PM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser2020
You'll like the Grendel. I have two. Light recoil, but can easily shoot a large enough bullet to take down deer. Good luck with the build!
I'm thinking about using it in the police games next year in precision shooting, and I'm also think about turning my rock river into a 5.56 SBR for CQB competition.

Old 07-16-2011, 02:02 AM   #6

One of my G's is my dedicated Field Precision Rifle. 20" AA Hunter. The other is a 16" AA Tactical upper on a Plum Crazy lower. Whole rifle weighs in at 5.5 lbs. This is my hunting rifle.

Member:

Old 07-16-2011, 06:29 AM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
One of my G's is my dedicated Field Precision Rifle. 20" AA Hunter. The other is a 16" AA Tactical upper on a Plum Crazy lower. Whole rifle weighs in at 5.5 lbs. This is my hunting rifle.
I'm planning 20" heavy barrel, mega machine upper and lower billet set, magpul acs or ubr stock, Troy industries free float 13" mfs battle rail, rockriver trigger, and Harris bi-pod so far and cerakote it. I'm trying find good prices

Old 07-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznZOhAn View Post
I'm planning 20" heavy barrel, mega machine upper and lower billet set, magpul acs or ubr stock, Troy industries free float 13" mfs battle rail, rockriver trigger, and Harris bi-pod so far and cerakote it. I'm trying find good prices
Looks like an awesome build. Are you using the RRA 2 stage or single stack. I'm a 2 stage guy myself, 'cause I like to know when I'm gonna break the shot.

Member:

Old 07-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #9

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:

Looks like an awesome build. Are you using the RRA 2 stage or single stack. I'm a 2 stage guy myself, 'cause I like to know when I'm gonna break the shot.
I like the 2 stage, it gets lighter after you put some rounds through it, the single stage is more consistent.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2139 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

AznZOhAn,

The 6.5 Grendel is a fine round with excellent ballistics and flight.
I have been advised that Hornady is loading or going to load them. But you can also reload them. They are easy to reload. I am shooting the 95gr. V-max in Norma Brass and recently got some new Hornady Brass to reload. I also have loaded some 123 grain A-Max rounds but have not shot them as of yet. As far as the 95 grain V-Max, they will turn a prairie dog inside out at 400 yards.
I have a Sabre Defence Varmint/Competition in the 18" Fluted Barrel.
Sounds great on your build plan! You will want to police your brass up after shooting. The Norma's are around $1.00 ea. But you usually can load each of them 4-5 times and be safe. And I do love the RRA 2 Stage Trigger you mentioned!