6.5 Grendel AR

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 6.5 Grendel AR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 6.5 Grendel AR

I am a new member and even though some would call me an old-timer I am new to rifle shooting, have spent all my time involved with pistols and shotguns. (Ret LEO)

I am in the market for an AR type rifle to be used mainly for bench shooting, varmint and small game and SHTF.
After much research, i think I have found the cartridge for me. The 6.5 Grendel falls between the .223 and the .308 and while closer to the .308 have less recoil (about 1/2 from what I read).

I have looked at offering from Alexander Arms and Sabre Defense, both completed firearms and separate uppers and lowers.

Looking for opinions on the 6.5 Grendel in a suitable AR configuration. Comments and suggestions welcome

Thank you
Sarge595

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #2

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

We have quite a few members here that have an assortment of AR calibers but I don't recall anyone with a 6.5 Grendel. That's not to say you won't get any good replies though.

Would you mind running down your list of pro's/cons for the 6.5? I myself chose the .458SOCOM as a compliment to my AR15 and AR10. Although I have had my interest raised in some others - the .260 looked very interesting, as did the .338 lapua

If you do proceed please do a build thread for the rest of us to follow and drool over

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

the grendal has always been on my list. For me it would be a hunting or comp rig being as its fairly expensive to shoot. I also dont have the facility to stretch its legs. It would be a waste shooting that tround at 100 and in.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #4

Default 8.5 Grendel AR

Thanks for the replies. Like I said in my first post, I am looking for an AR with more knock down power than the 5.56/.223 but with less recoil and blast than the .308, and from the research I have done the 6.5 Grendel seems to fill the bill perfectly
.I plan on doing both bench shooting as well as some varmints and maybe some small to mid sized game.
I am considering the Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel® 19.5 Advanced Weapon System, and the Sabre Defense Light Sabre Model. Also considering a RRA in 5.56/223 RRA-LAR Varmint EOP.
I am new to the AR scene as I have been a pistol shooter most of my life along with some shotgunning. I also reload for pistol with a Hornady Lock & Load auto press as well as a Rock Chucker Jr.

I believe that I started this subject as a Thread but not sure if I did it right.
Any help or opinions will be appreciated both for choice of rifles and reloading info.

tanks again and I really enjoy the Forum:

Sarge 595

Old 04-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Larue did a write up on another forum after taking a 6.5 hog hunting. It sounded like he was very impressed.

I believe the only difference is the barrel and bolt.

I havent priced ammo lately. Hopefully it has gone down.