6.5 Grendel
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 6.5 Grendel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 6.5 Grendel

Have an opportunity to buy a one month old, complete, 6.5 Grendel AR15 from a friend, complete rifle minus optics, for 800.00. Includes dies and brass for reloading. He even said that he would let me make payments on it.

Here's the quandry. I'm too poor to pay attention most of the time. I can afford it, but I will be eating pork and beans for a month or two. Should I even be considering this until I get my taxes done or sell my dirtbike?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2011, 09:59 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

No. Get your taxes done first, or sell the bike, but don't go out on a financial limb just to get the gun. While the increased range is impressive, unless you can shoot 500-600 yards on a regular basis, and reload for it, you are going to have an $800 show piece in your place.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I shoot at 400 meters with my .223 alot, but have been thinking about something with a little more oomph for longer range. My pops has one so I can draw on a lot of his loading knowledge for the round. But yeah, I should get some money round up first. The seller would more than likey be willing to hold on to it for a bit. It's not like he is hurting for money. I think he just wants to off it and use some of the cash for an AR10 he wants to build.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:07 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Have him sell you just the upper instead.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:09 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think the price he is asking for the complete rifle is about what I would pay for just the upper. He has enough AR15's so I don't think he has any use to keep another lower around, hence the low asking price. It's a Spike's lower, A2 buttstock, and milspec parts kit, nothing fancy.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:30 PM   #6

Hello.

I am still new to the forum so maybe my opinion won't hold too much weight. But for the asking price, that is a very good deal. I would not put yourself so far out that you are scratching to survive or pay other bills to buy it. But if you can make affordable payments to insure acquiring the piece, that might not be a bad proposition.

Since you stated that the deal does include the dies and brass for reloading, the assumption is that you are capable of doing so, which will address the issues of cost to shoot and ammunition availability.

Performance wise, there really is no comparison between it and anything in 5.56 cal., including the Mk 262 we were initially issued. Expect accelerated wear in the barrel versus 5.56/.223, however that will come after many many rounds of enjoyment.

If you can afford the deal, Cali-rules and regulations do not come into any kind of play regarding it, and you or your significant others do not mind the aftermath of eating all those pork and beans, assuming everything is in good and operational condition this sounds like a very good deal.

That is just my opinion.
Snuff

Old 01-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Squirrels at 1200 yards, what not to like?

Alexander Arms: 6.5 Grendel®

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-26-2011, 11:51 PM   #8

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
but I will be eating pork and beans for a month or two.
What's the matter with pork and beans? Hell I lived of Ramen noodles, Mac N Cheese and hot dogs/beans for years while I was in college. A couple of months of pork and beans will do you good.

Srsly though, if your buddy will let you make payments I think that is a good deal. Hope it works out for you.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-26-2011, 11:58 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

He is one of the guys I go varmint shooting with, and I will most likely see him at the range this weekend. I will get some more details on it, and see if he will wait till I can at least get a tax return back and put a good sized down payment on it, or if he can wait till I sell my dirtbike and I will pay for the thing in full. It should would look good in my double case right next to my .223 on those trips out to the range and I do like that round. A bit on the expensive side to shoot, not to the point of be prohibitive.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:19 AM   #10

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
He is one of the guys I go varmint shooting with, and I will most likely see him at the range this weekend. I will get some more details on it, and see if he will wait till I can at least get a tax return back and put a good sized down payment on it, or if he can wait till I sell my dirtbike and I will pay for the thing in full. It should would look good in my double case right next to my .223 on those trips out to the range and I do like that round. A bit on the expensive side to shoot, not to the point of be prohibitive.
Well hell...problem solved, just borrow it every weekend until you can afford to buy it...he may even get tired of you mooching his rifle and just give it to you...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington