Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > .50 BMG uppers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
bkt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1304 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Default .50 BMG uppers

A buddy is looking to buy one for his AR but there are a bunch to choose from. Any recommendations or stay-away warnings for vendors, brands or designs?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-31-2009, 10:26 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Well bkt - speaking from a totally apprentice gunsmith wannabe standpoint, I would highly recommend against it.

Why?

Because the .50BMG is one hell of a punishing round. And the AR-15 lower isn't designed to handle that type of repeated punishment. It's just not intended for that kind of repeated abuse.

Now, of any of the ones out there, the only one I have EVER seen was from A.L.S. - and it was well built. It was a neat piece of hardware. But I never saw it fired and I have no idea if it was worth the cash.

Personally, at probably $6 or so a bullet, I would look at a compromise semi auto or a dedicated bolt gun platform.

But, if he absolutely HAS to have it? The one I have seen was from A.L.S. and it seemed to have all the right parts, well built, and in all the right places.

Good luck.

JD

Old 01-01-2010, 05:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyes View Post
Fifty Caliber Shooters Association worth joining before you buy any 50 , Tons of information.

Fifty Caliber Shooters Association
That's absolutely incredible that that guy shot a .1868 MOA group at 1000 yards. Id like too know how much money he has in that gun.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 01-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCross7 View Post
That's absolutely incredible that that guy shot a .1868 MOA group at 1000 yards. Id like too know how much money he has in that gun.

-Fred
I got news for you then.

No shooters in those types of competitions are using snapped together rifle kits.

They are shooting custom made, from the ground up, weapons that are tuned, fine tuned to the gants ass, with only the best possible parts and their optics are probably $3500 a piece.

The barrels are all completely custom, at custom lengths, in the exact twist rate by design, with a chamber that is cut EXACTLY to the specs of a cartridge they spent hours and hours of trial and error developing to produce the best possible results.

These guys are mad scientists of the shooting world. They have forgotten more than most of us will never know.

Back on topic - bkt, what is your guy going to do?

Old 01-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

http://www.tactilite.com/

Advanced Longerange Systems 50 bmg conversions

Ferret50.com, home of the Ferret50 50BMG rifle conversion for the AR-15

SHF Home

Serbu Firearms

http://www.watsonsfirearms.com/

Reading material for you. The Tactilite was recently in a magazine write up with decent reviews. I don't have any personal experience with any of them except the ferret 50. Personally, I would buy a dedicated .50 platform ( I own the Armalite AR50, but would prefer a Barrett).

Slo

Old 01-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I too would suggest a full .50bmg platform instead of using a .50 upper and a AR lower. Think about it-you've got a lot of weight and recoil energy hanging off 2 pins set in aluminum, not the ideal setup meant originally for the 5.56.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 01-01-2010, 11:24 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1304 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 151

When he said he wanted a .50 BMG upper, a few of us immediately were concerned about the potential stress on the lower.

However...

1. The chamber is entirely in the upper. Since this is a single-shot design, there isn't much open to the lower at all.

2. Assuming the fit between the upper and lower is tight, the stress should be directed mostly back into the stock, which is part of the lower; there is not a lot of stress between the upper and lower given the way the stock fixes to the lower.

Is this thinking wrong?

This won't be used for competition or used frequently. It's just another item in his collection.

Currently, he's looking at a Bohica MkIII 30" fluted match barrel with the free-float tube, a dedicated lower with Jard trigger group and heavy spring and a PRS stock. No idea about optics, yet.

Thanks, guys, for the comments and links!

Old 01-02-2010, 01:14 AM   #8

Well, I all I can compare this situation too, is the following.

Have you ever been drilling a hole with a drill and have that drill bit dite and bind?

That torque you feel in your wrist, when that corded or cordless drill wants to take your wrist home, is EXACTLY what happens when you trip that trigger on your .50BMG.

An aluminum bodied lower is NOT the ideal choice for that much torque.

But.

To each his own and I hope this guy has a great time with his new upper.

JD