Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > .50 Beowulf Upper Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default .50 Beowulf Upper Questions

My questions are:

1) Is Alexander Arms the only makers of .50 Beowulf uppers? The ones at the shop looking to be painted a glossy black that just looked cheap and cheesy to me.

2) Can you get a low profile gas block for them? I don't like the look of the gas blocks with a rail on top. I'd like to use a full length handguard that covers the gas block. The LGS employee didn't know if they made a lo-pro block for the .50 Beowulf

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Olympus,

Unless the upper was just covered with an excessive amount of lubricant which could have give it a glossy appearance I would run the other way. That is not the normal finish from Alexander Arms for sure! Also there are also other calibers out there that the ballistics are very good. I am thinking of the 458 SOCOM which would certainly be my choice over the 50 due to some logical reasons. One the ballistics of the 458 SOCOM, Second they use a standard AR-15 Magazine. Thirdly you can buy dies and load your own. And there are other companies out there loading ammunition for the 458! The 50 Beowulf is just too proprietary for my liking. And it will stop a pig "DRT!" I have shot hogs with the 340 gr. Bullet. One shot one kill! Like a giant HAMMER! And of course you can get heavier bullets for them. The 458 SOCOM is also legal to hunt deer with in states like Indiana which is not a rifle state! COR-BON also makes some fantastic defense rounds for the 458. Only my thoughts!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 09-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #3

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
Olympus,

Unless the upper was just covered with an excessive amount of lubricant which could have give it a glossy appearance I would run the other way. That is not the normal finish from Alexander Arms for sure! Also there are also other calibers out there that the ballistics are very good. I am thinking of the 458 SOCOM which would certainly be my choice over the 50 due to some logical reasons. One the ballistics of the 458 SOCOM, Second they use a standard AR-15 Magazine. Thirdly you can buy dies and load your own. And there are other companies out there loading ammunition for the 458! The 50 Beowulf is just too proprietary for my liking. And it will stop a pig "DRT!" I have shot hogs with the 340 gr. Bullet. One shot one kill! Like a giant HAMMER! And of course you can get heavier bullets for them. The 458 SOCOM is also legal to hunt deer with in states like Indiana which is not a rifle state! COR-BON also makes some fantastic defense rounds for the 458. Only my thoughts!

The .50 uses standard AR mags as well

Old 09-17-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Thanks Shag!

I was not aware of that! That is why I am also here to learn!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 09-18-2012, 01:35 AM   #5

I can also get reloading dies for the .50 Beowulf as well. Plus the .50 Beowulf is not a shouldered cartridge and will be a lot easier to reload for than the .458 SOCOM.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:42 AM   #6

Liked 480 Times on 329 Posts

I have a alexander .50..and no. No lo pro block available. Also at 2.50 to 3.50 a round id look into a .458 if i was going to do it again. And why would you want a cheaper brand when the aa is only 1000? http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=306226137

Old 09-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalfun
I have a alexander .50..and no. No lo pro block available. Also at 2.50 to 3.50 a round id look into a .458 if i was going to do it again. And why would you want a cheaper brand when the aa is only 1000? http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=306226137
Surely I can reload the .50 for a lot less than that. Heard the .458 brass is scarce and reloading a shouldered cartridge isn't something I have any experience with.

Not considering a cheaper brand. My LGS has 3 AA uppers. They have the same upper with a different brake for a $800.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:51 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I haven't started reloading mine yet, but I have been gathering up supplies to start. Starline brass makes cases, AA has Lee and Hornaday reloading dies, Berry's mfg and others make the bullets... I've got everything except powder and a press for 500 rounds waiting for me. If it helps you visualize how powerful this round is, here is a picture of a steel rim shot by two .50 cal Beo and three 5.55 rounds.

The upper on the bottom is the .50 Beo with a YHM drop in handguard ( yes I know the front site is backwards, I like it better that way)

Old 09-18-2012, 04:29 AM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1110 Times on 640 Posts
Likes Given: 520

Reloading supplies are readily available for both the 458 SC and the 50 BW.The cost for reloading each is about the same.
The ballistics are a toss-up,both are really only good for around 200 yards,after that the bullets are falling like dropped bricks.
I prefer the 458 over the 50,there is a much larger selection of bullets to choose from with the 458 since it uses the same bullets that any .458 caliber rifle can shoot.Handloading either cartridge is the same,there's nothing to worry about with a shouldered case over a straight walled case.
As long as you don't push the upper limits with your powder charges,the brass will last many loadings.I have some 458 Starline brass that has been loaded over 10 times,and it's still good to go for several more loadings.I have only needed to trim those cases about every 3 firings.

Everyone wants to say " I gotta 50 cal",and there's nothing wrong with the AA 50 Beowulf,if that's what you want.But,I prefer the 458 SOCOM over it,and trust Rock River Arms and Marty ter Weeme (The 458 SOCOM inventer) a lot more than I do Bill Alexander (Alexander Arms).

And you can have a Low profile gas block with the 458.Mine is a Mid-Length with a Low profile block,and a full length Hogue handguard.

I paid $750 for the complete RRA upper,just the way it looks.

Old 09-18-2012, 12:13 PM   #10

Any idea on what the breakdown of reloading cost for the .50 would be? Anyone willing to use a reloading calculator to input their supplies for me for a total cost per round?

I've also found a company called Triton Armory that makes a low profile gas block for the .50. I was also looking through MidwayUSA website and found a customer review for a Troy Industries low-pro gas block that said he used it on a .50 Beowulf and it works perfectly.

Really I'm on the fence as to whether it's really going to make more sense to pay say $800 for an upper, dies, brass, bullets, powder, and primers for the .50 or if I should go with a 7.62 upper and hope that it's a reliable upper and save money on just buying surplus 7.62 ammo and forget about reloading.