5.56 Question??? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 5.56 Question???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 01:38 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsully85
Yes you can run 55gr bullets through a 1:7 twist barrel, but.. My question is will that wear out your barrel faster? I'm wondering if the little bit of extra velocity's too much for the twist to handle by the time it gets towards the end of the barrel. Just thinking out loud here based on the bad throat erosion I saw on my old 1:7 twist barrel which was fed almost exclusively 55gr, but only about 5000 lifetime. Maybe I'm being over cautious, but that's why I wont shoot anything lighter than a 62gr through my new 18" CHF DD.
Depends if it chrome lined and if it is a heavy barrel. You should be able to shoot more than 5000 rounds.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:55 AM   #42

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMarineEJP View Post
Depends if it chrome lined and if it is a heavy barrel. You should be able to shoot more than 5000 rounds.
How about 50,000 rounds? Like Quentin posted the BCM named Filthy 14 is up to 50,000 rounds and I believe all those rounds were fired in EAG carbine courses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 02-17-2012, 02:00 AM   #43

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMarineEJP

It was a 16" government profile with chrome. Agreed, you should definately be able to get more than 5000 out of it without that much wear. I always cleaned it really well right after shooting, used good ammo, never really even rapid fired it much. Only suspect that comes to mind for the bad wear is the relatively light grain ammo.