5.56 AR-15 for Target Shooting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 5.56 AR-15 for Target Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 5.56 AR-15 for Target Shooting

I want to get an ar-15 for target shooting, but not chambered in .22lr. I want to build my own and Ive seen some good DPMS and Rocky River Arms parts. Should I buy a whole upper and lower receivers, or buy every single part individually like barrels and triggers? I would like it to be mil spec.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-30-2011, 08:41 PM   #2

Liked 1003 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

It's up to you, how involved you want to be and your skill level. Most people buy a complete upper (research them carefully) and build the lower. Take a look at recent build threads for more ideas.

Remember, the biggest issue when assembling an AR isn't getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 12-30-2011, 10:47 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

If you want mil-spec either of the brands you mentioned won't work for you.

Depending on your budget PSA, BCM, LMT, Daniel Defense, and Colt will get you where you want to go.

“The bitterness of poor quality Lingers long after The sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
-John Ruskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

Old 01-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #4

image-1863750868.jpg

I'm new to AR's and so far I am very happy with it. Most of my experience is in handgun semi/auto , shotguns and some SKS STUFF. I'm still trying to figure out what isn't milspec that should be the upper and lower both are mil Spec materials and the lower us forged not cast I'm very satisfied in the way the rifle handles and the trigger seems crisp and clean once I learn enough with this carbine I intend to build a lower for a pistol next But as I say the MilSpec parts I'm still trying to figure out what more I should be looking for than my Oracle has

Old 01-01-2012, 12:23 AM   #5

Woody, the heart and soul of the AR are the bolt, chamber and barrel (and all associated dimensions and machining). This would be the area for you to compare to the better ARs.

That goes hand in hand with what I pointed out above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
... the biggest issue when assembling an AR isn't getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 01-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #6

Thanks so if you can see the pic on my previous post ( I can't for some reason) it shows my bolt and carrier are mil spec and the coating on the upper and lower are mil spec but the barrel is not is that correct? Thanx again for the schooling in advance

Old 01-01-2012, 01:26 AM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by OchreFox View Post
I want to get an ar-15 for target shooting, but not chambered in .22lr. I would like it to be mil spec.
Opinions here will vary on the mil spec issue,but most AR Target rifles will not be mil spec,because most have tighter clearance issues in order to be a Target rifle.
If it was a rifle that was used to protect your well being on a daily basis,or heavily used in the field,then yes,I'd build to mil spec.
For shooting tiny groups on paper or hunting,I'd opt for a tighter built gun like a RRA Varminter,etc.

There's not anything wrong with either type of weapon,it just depends on what you want in a Target AR.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 01-01-2012, 02:35 AM   #8

My interpretation of this post is you want a gun that is a tack driver but if you want you could shoot the stink out of it. I have two recommendations, one being a Del-Ton and the other is the Bushmaster Varminter or Predator.

I shot the MGM Ironman with a Bushmaster stainless Varmint Special one year and it performed flawless and shot all the way out to 750yds accurately with 55grn bullets!

I had a 16" lightweight DelTon with a fixed 4x Leupold behind the seat of my pick up and every round I shot out it hit on the money everything I shot it. Dusted lots of coyotes and whistle pigs with that before I sold it.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #9

Woody, a $700 AR isn't likely to be a tack driver or milspec. I seriously doubt that bolt and carrier are milspec no matter what the ad says. Doesn't mean you can't have fun with it but you did say originally you wanted milspec. What do you really mean by that and what do you want as far as target shooting?

______

Old 01-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #10

Naaaaaa at Tack Driver isn't my goal really. I just like to see brass & plastic fly. I can knock down a running rabbit with my mossy, and knock the soda cans off the 2x4 at 20 steps with my SAXD 45 (most of the time) lol even been known to bring in a deer or two with the open sight marlin 30/30. I keep my guns as clean as I can dont mind running cheap dirty ammo thru the SKS or my 9mm's. Try to stick to somthing a bit better than Wolf or Brown Bear in my .45's and so far my AR. I don't mind a $700 gun as opposed to a $1400 gun. I'll even do a mod or Two to a gun if I feel like I'll benefit from it. I guess the main thing I want is a Gun that will hit the kill zone at a distance that I can still feel like I've accomplished somthing. And the gun has to last me the rest of my life. Cause I'm too greedy to swap or sell lol.
So really guess mil spec or not don't matter much to me as long as I'm out shooting
So far 100 rounds of federal through my DPMS straight out of the box. Before it got it's first cleaning so far no jams yet. I'll let you know again at 500 and 1000