Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 5.56 or .223 does it matter?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 287 Times on 193 Posts

Never thought of it that way. I always looked at an AR as a "modular" platform.

Old 04-10-2013, 01:58 AM   #12

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EW1066 View Post

In a sane world it won't. BUT, an ar that is registered as a specific caliber is "TECHNICALLY" restricted to shooting those calibers. Should a person find themselves in a twist with the BATFE, shooting a 6.8 upper on a lower marked 223/5.56 could be grounds for probable cause for an aggressive investigator or just another charge to pile on. Having a lower marked "MULTI" is far more desirable for avoiding such technicalities.

That being said, The probability is very very slim that the average person will find themselves in such a situation.

If you live in a state that is less than friendly towards guns. If you are shooting at a public range where LEOs also shoot. If they think your rifle does not "sound" correctly, they could come over and do a visual inspection of your weapon and life gets difficult from there. This applies to shooting a .22 cal conversion kit as well.

EDUB
Where the hell do you live where this is even a remote possibility? The whole last paragraph is so far fetched its ridiculous.

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." ~Thomas Jefferson
People Like This 
Old 04-10-2013, 02:07 AM   #13

Liked 1653 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDefenseofLiberty View Post
Where the hell do you live where this is even a remote possibility? The whole last paragraph is so far fetched its ridiculous.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-10-2013, 02:26 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1031 Times on 700 Posts
Likes Given: 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967

You took the words right out of my mouth.
California maybe? LOL

Old 04-10-2013, 03:42 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 67 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I live in the free state of TEXAS! And yes it may be far fetched (I will readily admit that) but as far fetched as it may be, it is possible. Probable? Not likely. But possible? Yes.

That last paragraph was a hypothetical worst case scenario. My fault for not presenting it as such.

You can disagree if you like, but I'll play it safe and buy my lowers that say "MULTI".

EDUB

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-10-2013, 03:48 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

I'd recommend getting an upper from PSA. If you have the extra cash, get one with the Cold Hammer Forged barrel. It will be the best money you spend on a build.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #17

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

This may be the most important thing you read about the difference between 5.56 and 223. If you think you know something this will dispel some of the myths.

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Wow, I clicked on this ad a while back because I myself still am trying to figure out the diff in these two calibers. I think my curiosity is which is more accurate? Anyway, with fsted2s' point, my first thought/question was the same as nosaj515. Now EW1066 clarifies it. This is too much. Even the innocent .22 gets roped into it. jeez. And EW1066 is breaking it to us mildly as a worst case scenario, huh. At the rate were goin, it'll be the average case scenario before long. And those who wonder who'd live in such a place, well, you got a point at the moment anyway.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:09 PM   #19

Liked 207 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDefenseofLiberty View Post
Fortunately, I live in Kentucky, where the second amendment hasn't been stripped to almost nonexistence. But, unless you live in a cave, you know there are those that are trying to eliminate the second amendment, or come a close as possible to doing so. That is why I made the statement. Illinois has virtually stripped the 2nd to the point I don't even want to go through it.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #20

Liked 207 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
Most rifle kits have a 5.56 upper but otherwise most kits are crap, though PSA's is good. I'd look for quality parts not the cheapest kit with ugly parts.
Just got a kit from Doublestar. They haven't done me wrong yet.

"Democracy is two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Liberty is the well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin