5.56 or .223 ?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

5.56 or .223 ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default 5.56 or .223 ?

Quick question- I've heard it's not a good practice to shoot 5.56 ammo in a .223 AR because the 5.56 is supposedly loaded hotter and the brass might be a tad thicker. Just curious if this relates to the upper or the lower. I'm guessing it's the upper with the chamber but wanted to confirm.

The reason I ask is I can get a great deal on 500 rounds of 5.56 Nato 55 grain FMJBT American Eagle tactical ammunition but didn't want to mess with it if it may be a problem. All my AR's are newer except for a pre-ban EEA with a Martin Marietta upper. I could check all my barrels for stamp marks but didn't want the hassle if you folks could give me your thoughts.

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I assume its the upper that would have the problem. My AR has 223/5.56 on the lower reciever, but on the barrel it specifies 223.

Old 12-09-2009, 06:56 PM   #3

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

5.56 have a deeper throat to compensate for the higher barrel pressures, reducing the chamber erosion. Typically referred to as a "Wylde" chamber. It is said that newer .223 chambers designated as match chambers will handle 5.56 but it is not really recommended.

5.56 brass is thicker, usually having .4-.6cc less capacity.

As for .223 ammo, AMMOMAN.COM d/b/a Discount Distributors has wolf 62gr fmj for 279 shipped per thousand. Hard to beat.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I checked all my AR's and only one upper (barrel) is marked .223, so I should be o.k. with all the others.

Never shot any wolf ammo. Some swear by it, others fu-fu it. I have one box of 20 to try out. Sure would be nice to burn that up instead of the brass!

Old 12-09-2009, 07:09 PM   #5

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Anyone who says Wolf is crap, has a piece of crap gun, or has never actually fired it.

I can shoot a 3/8 MOA three shot group at 100 yards, from my 16" stainless bull barrelled AR(1:8)Everyone at that class was as impressed as I was, especially me, as it was the first real precision shooting I have attempted with it.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 12-09-2009, 07:19 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
5.56 have a deeper throat to compensate for the higher barrel pressures, reducing the chamber erosion. Typically referred to as a "Wylde" chamber. It is said that newer .223 chambers designated as match chambers will handle 5.56 but it is not really recommended.

5.56 brass is thicker, usually having .4-.6cc less capacity.

As for .223 ammo, AMMOMAN.COM d/b/a Discount Distributors has wolf 62gr fmj for 279 shipped per thousand. Hard to beat.
"Wylde chamber, is a mix between .223 and 5.56. 5.56x45 NATO is NOT exactly the same as a .223 Rem. The 5.56 spec allows for slightly longer chambers for higher pressures. The .223 has a tighter chamber around the neck and is shorter which allows for a bit better accuracy. You can shoot .223 ammo in a 5.56 chamber, but it is DANGEROUS to shoot 5.56 (surplus for instance) ammo in a .223 chamber. BE CAREFUL. What the Wylde chamber does is allow for 5.56 ammo with slightly tighter chamber for better accuracy. So you can shoot both 5.56 and 223 safely with good accuracy."

You pretty much had it right, except that the Wylde is a modified .556/.223 and works pretty darn well for either ammo. If you are going for pure accuracy though, you may want to get a dedicated receiver, made for that specific ammunition, as the tolerances will be a little tighter.

Yes, you can shoot .223 thru a 5.56 chamber with no problems.

No, you should NOT shoot 5.56 in a .223 chamber. You could have problems - some severe

As for the Wolf ammo, - LOL - let's just say, if it works for you in YOUR gun, by all means, shoot it up, it is decent ammo. Others may not agree or may have experienced problems in their guns. Not all AR's are the same when it comes to ammo likes and dislikes. So, try it and find out. For the price, it's hard to beat for plinking and practicing.

Slo

Old 12-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

+1 slow,

If the barrel is stamper 5.56 shoot any thing you can find that fits in the mag and chambers to battery, You're GTG!

IF YOUR BARREL IS FACTORY STAMPED .223 SHOOT ONLY .223 designated ammo, NO 5.56 Military just to be safe.

It will probably handle it, but once you do it, you will not receive your 72 virgins!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #8

My son's WASR 3 in 5.56 will not shoot any ammo with brass. It eats Wolf up,fmj, like it's going out of style.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1444 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Eye Heart Wolf!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 12-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
eye heart wolf!
+10000000000000

Newest Threads