Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 458 SOCOM vs. 7.62 NATO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Actually I've been lusting after a 458 Socom build as well as a new FAL build but only have the money for one. I plan to reload for which ever I go with, but I'm not sure if the OP is a reloader or not.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:14 PM   #12

Liked 124 Times on 73 Posts
Likes Given: 213

i've been contemplating a .458 upper and build or a .44mag lever action for an upcoming hog hunt....

its like i got one lil gun enthusiast birdy on my right shoulder saying "Go with the classic and you can get a relic or even matching pistol down the road!" and the other lil gun loving nut bird on the left tweeting " the Socom is way cooler, wtf kid?"

my hat is off to anyone who has served or is currently serving our country.....God bless you..you're friends and family included.

for the latest chitown headlines, check here:
http://secondcitycop.blogspot.com/

NRA - member for life

Old 04-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #13

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Bolan View Post
" the Socom is way cooler, wtf kid?"
I'd listen to what that little bird said

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
Like you stated energy will tell you what type of wound the bullet will make
Sorry for the confusion, but I actually said the opposite. Energy itself tells absolutely nothing about the type of wound channel a projectile will make. Literally, nothing heh.

A 55gr bullet at 3000fps from an AR15 is about the same energy as a 300gr bullet at 1300fps from a .44 magnum.

The .223 bullet could be solidly-constructed hunting bullet that holds together, expands to maybe .4", and penetrates to about 15" in gel. It could also be a varminting round that fragments significantly and penetrates to maybe 8". In either case its velocity will cause permanent damage well beyond the actual projectile path.

The 300gr .44mag bullet could be a hard-cast that will literally penetrate about 6 feet of flesh. Or, it could be one of the well-expanding rounds that will expand nicely and penetrate about 3' of flesh. In either case, its low velocity means the only permanent damage will be what the bullet itself physically touched along its path.

So again, the only way to formulate an accurate estimation of wound potential is to know velocity, mass, and bullet construction (which is related to caliber). With those, energy can be calculated, but the energy itself doesn't tell you anything.

Think of it like walking into a Dodge dealership and choosing which vehicle will be fastest around a racetrack based ONLY on horsepower. You might end up leaving with a 500hp Diesel-power Ram that weighs 9000lbs, when the 2500lb Neon SRT-4 with 240hp would run circles around it. Just the same, if you are looking for the vehicle to tow a boat, you might leave with a trade-on C6 Corvette with 600hp, when in this case a big truck would have been way better. Horsepower itself, just like bullet energy, doesn't tell you anything about how a specific car (or cartridge load) will perform a specific task.

And it doesn't take specifically-frangible bullets to fragment or expand significantly. There are lots of light-for-caliber (90-110gr) .308 varmint bullets that will do this when pushed to proprtional velocities (say, 3200-3300fps).

Old 04-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Of course, to be fair we must admit that the Socom is a cartridge designed to fit in the AR15 platform, whereas the. 308 does not have this limitation. So, while I would still take the. 308 as a general purpose round for a semi auto, the Socom does have an arguable edge in CQB over other cartridges that can fit in the AR platform, especially with better bullets than ball ammo.

*edit*

And between the. 44mag and the Socom for a fun gun, id definitely go with the .458! And this is coming from someone who loves his. 44, heh.

Last edited by Lindenwood; 04-07-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:59 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I read your post wrong Lindenwood, sorry about that.
After some thinking about it and looking back on the kinetic energy formula, we are technically saying the same thing just in different terms. You simply broke it down more than I did.
I dont quite think comparing these two cartridges is fair since the effective range of the Socom is limited and only available on the AR plateform so far. The 7.62x51 NATO isnt limited by either. Both were made for different reasons on top of all of that.
Perhaps if we had parameters to go by then we could provide a more concise answer to the question. Overall comparison is hardly ever fair and always caused tensions amungst different schools of thought and likes.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:08 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, comparing the cartridges directly, especially without restrictions on ammo choice, isn't quite fair. However, deciding whether to buy an AR15 in the .458 chambering, vs an Ar10, is a valid question.

And I'd definitely say Ar10 > .458 AR15 > .44mag lever-action (as a fun gun) .

Old 04-10-2011, 01:23 AM   #18

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Why decide on either when you can have both?

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-12-2011, 09:08 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Yeah, comparing the cartridges directly, especially without restrictions on ammo choice, isn't quite fair. However, deciding whether to buy an AR15 in the .458 chambering, vs an Ar10, is a valid question.

And I'd definitely say Ar10 > .458 AR15 > .44mag lever-action (as a fun gun) .
I wouldnt mind having one of each personally
I'm more of a battle rifle guy and have been drooling over the REPR from LWRC. I like that ArmaLite has the original tooling and all that for the AR-10 but the REPR has a feel of a FAL fused with an AR-10 accuracy and modularity. At $3.5K I'm saving my pennies.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:19 AM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Is having a semi-auto that shoots .458 (or .50 beowulf even) practical? Can you get of quick follow shots with that kind of firepower?

How would that aspect of it compare to a 308?