458 SOCOM vs. 7.62 NATO
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 458 SOCOM vs. 7.62 NATO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 12:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 458 SOCOM vs. 7.62 NATO

Which would have more stopping power?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #2

The one that is well placed in the vital organs. 22 lr is VERY deadly IF the shot is placed in the right spot.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:43 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodysKJ View Post
The one that is well placed in the vital organs. 22 lr is VERY deadly IF the shot is placed in the right spot.
ok, what about the bullet in itself, regardless of shot placement

Old 04-05-2011, 02:15 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

ive got both. inside 200yds definately 458socom is the harder hitting round. 200+ 308

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-05-2011, 02:19 AM   #5

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

With my eyes, the 458 hands down!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 04-06-2011, 05:39 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

At close range (within 200 yards) depending on the bullet used the 458 will dump most, if not all, of its kinetic energy in the medum its shot into. Kinetic energy pretty much equals out to how much thump the target, say a hungry grizzly, initially feels, any internal and vital organs hit will pretty much be paste when hit with any rifle cartridge.
The 7.62x51 NATO is better for longer distances but has much more penetration than the 458 Socom due to its diameter and usual spitzer style of bullet.
I love the 7.62x51 NATO for its large kinetic energy down range and its wide availability.
The 458 Socom in a small light package like the AR-15 makes a great trail gun, but the availability of the ammo is scarse but slowly growing. Some refer to the 458 Socom as the modern version of the 45-70 Gov't.
The actual ballistics of the two are on opposite ends of the spectrum and can be hard to compare as they are used for different applications.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:22 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That depends entirely on bullet construction. There are .30-cal bullets designed to penetrate deep into big game, and there are those designed to fragment within several inches. Most .458 bullets will be designed for very deep penetration for the .45-70, ESPECIALLY the round-nosed bullets that will be used for any military purposes. Those will probably penetrate for days.

Energy itself is kindof meaningless. Relative bullet mass, bullet construction, and velocity are really what's require to make any accurate estimations of terminal performance. Now, with those things you can calculate energy, but again calculating energy won't tell you anything about the type of wound the bullet will likely produce.

With the right bullets for a given job, though, I'd still probably go with the .308.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:32 PM   #8

Liked 3736 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteZaHut View Post
Which would have more stopping power?
Depending on the range to target - under 200yds I'll go with AR458. Over 200yds and it's the AR10.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 04-07-2011, 06:56 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
That depends entirely on bullet construction. There are .30-cal bullets designed to penetrate deep into big game, and there are those designed to fragment within several inches. Most .458 bullets will be designed for very deep penetration for the .45-70, ESPECIALLY the round-nosed bullets that will be used for any military purposes. Those will probably penetrate for days.

Energy itself is kindof meaningless. Relative bullet mass, bullet construction, and velocity are really what's require to make any accurate estimations of terminal performance. Now, with those things you can calculate energy, but again calculating energy won't tell you anything about the type of wound the bullet will likely produce.

With the right bullets for a given job, though, I'd still probably go with the .308.
Like you stated energy will tell you what type of wound the bullet will make, the bigger the wound the better the stopping power. I was speaking mainly about typical economical ammo for both calibers. Frangible rounds are fun to mess with but can be costly depending on where you get them and most of the time they are for law enforcement and close range steel shooting, so not typically in high demand.
I agree that all aspects of the cartridge is important to know what the desired effect is going to be. The .7.62x51 NATO has been around for so long in mainstream shooting that there are so many bullet types and loads that you can pretty much get ammo for any situation.

I'm already surrounded by half-dead brainless people already, the zombie apocalypse would just give me a reason to be productive and get rid of them.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruzai View Post
Like you stated energy will tell you what type of wound the bullet will make, the bigger the wound the better the stopping power. I was speaking mainly about typical economical ammo for both calibers. Frangible rounds are fun to mess with but can be costly depending on where you get them and most of the time they are for law enforcement and close range steel shooting, so not typically in high demand.
I agree that all aspects of the cartridge is important to know what the desired effect is going to be. The .7.62x51 NATO has been around for so long in mainstream shooting that there are so many bullet types and loads that you can pretty much get ammo for any situation.
based on what you just said. you dont want the socom. the 458 socom is pretty much a reloader only round. shelf ammo when you canfind it is incredibly expensive. while there is a HUGE range of .458 bullets to choose from that versatility is pretty much limited to reloaders.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...