Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   458 SOCOM vs. 7.62 NATO (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/458-socom-vs-7-62-nato-40812/)

PeteZaHut 04-04-2011 11:25 PM

458 SOCOM vs. 7.62 NATO
 
Which would have more stopping power?

WoodysKJ 04-04-2011 11:43 PM

The one that is well placed in the vital organs. 22 lr is VERY deadly IF the shot is placed in the right spot.

PeteZaHut 04-05-2011 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodysKJ (Post 479571)
The one that is well placed in the vital organs. 22 lr is VERY deadly IF the shot is placed in the right spot.

ok, what about the bullet in itself, regardless of shot placement

JonM 04-05-2011 01:15 AM

ive got both. inside 200yds definately 458socom is the harder hitting round. 200+ 308

canebrake 04-05-2011 01:19 AM

With my eyes, the 458 hands down!

Ruzai 04-06-2011 04:39 AM

At close range (within 200 yards) depending on the bullet used the 458 will dump most, if not all, of its kinetic energy in the medum its shot into. Kinetic energy pretty much equals out to how much thump the target, say a hungry grizzly, initially feels, any internal and vital organs hit will pretty much be paste when hit with any rifle cartridge.
The 7.62x51 NATO is better for longer distances but has much more penetration than the 458 Socom due to its diameter and usual spitzer style of bullet.
I love the 7.62x51 NATO for its large kinetic energy down range and its wide availability.
The 458 Socom in a small light package like the AR-15 makes a great trail gun, but the availability of the ammo is scarse but slowly growing. Some refer to the 458 Socom as the modern version of the 45-70 Gov't.
The actual ballistics of the two are on opposite ends of the spectrum and can be hard to compare as they are used for different applications.

Lindenwood 04-06-2011 05:22 PM

That depends entirely on bullet construction. There are .30-cal bullets designed to penetrate deep into big game, and there are those designed to fragment within several inches. Most .458 bullets will be designed for very deep penetration for the .45-70, ESPECIALLY the round-nosed bullets that will be used for any military purposes. Those will probably penetrate for days.

Energy itself is kindof meaningless. Relative bullet mass, bullet construction, and velocity are really what's require to make any accurate estimations of terminal performance. Now, with those things you can calculate energy, but again calculating energy won't tell you anything about the type of wound the bullet will likely produce.

With the right bullets for a given job, though, I'd still probably go with the .308.

dog2000tj 04-06-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeteZaHut (Post 479568)
Which would have more stopping power?

Depending on the range to target - under 200yds I'll go with AR458. Over 200yds and it's the AR10. ;)

Ruzai 04-07-2011 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindenwood (Post 480728)
That depends entirely on bullet construction. There are .30-cal bullets designed to penetrate deep into big game, and there are those designed to fragment within several inches. Most .458 bullets will be designed for very deep penetration for the .45-70, ESPECIALLY the round-nosed bullets that will be used for any military purposes. Those will probably penetrate for days.

Energy itself is kindof meaningless. Relative bullet mass, bullet construction, and velocity are really what's require to make any accurate estimations of terminal performance. Now, with those things you can calculate energy, but again calculating energy won't tell you anything about the type of wound the bullet will likely produce.

With the right bullets for a given job, though, I'd still probably go with the .308.

Like you stated energy will tell you what type of wound the bullet will make, the bigger the wound the better the stopping power. I was speaking mainly about typical economical ammo for both calibers. Frangible rounds are fun to mess with but can be costly depending on where you get them and most of the time they are for law enforcement and close range steel shooting, so not typically in high demand.
I agree that all aspects of the cartridge is important to know what the desired effect is going to be. The .7.62x51 NATO has been around for so long in mainstream shooting that there are so many bullet types and loads that you can pretty much get ammo for any situation.

JonM 04-07-2011 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruzai (Post 481244)
Like you stated energy will tell you what type of wound the bullet will make, the bigger the wound the better the stopping power. I was speaking mainly about typical economical ammo for both calibers. Frangible rounds are fun to mess with but can be costly depending on where you get them and most of the time they are for law enforcement and close range steel shooting, so not typically in high demand.
I agree that all aspects of the cartridge is important to know what the desired effect is going to be. The .7.62x51 NATO has been around for so long in mainstream shooting that there are so many bullet types and loads that you can pretty much get ammo for any situation.

based on what you just said. you dont want the socom. the 458 socom is pretty much a reloader only round. shelf ammo when you canfind it is incredibly expensive. while there is a HUGE range of .458 bullets to choose from that versatility is pretty much limited to reloaders.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:28 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.