Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   458 SOCOM 100% Rock River Arms (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/458-socom-100-rock-river-arms-88692/)

Sniper03 04-12-2013 07:59 PM

458 SOCOM 100% Rock River Arms

3 Attachment(s)
Finally!!!!!!! Got all the goodies in to put the New Pig Gun together!:D
Here is the pictures of it.
16" 458 SOCOM 2 Stage National Match Trigger. Build was all Rock River Parts, Lower and Upper Receivers.
IOR 3X25 Tactical Scope.

jebsca 04-13-2013 02:05 AM

Nice. This does not help. Last weekend, I ended up with a striped lower from the local Friends of the NRA dinner. Was thinking about doing a 458. The more I read on them, the more I think its the way to go.

Jpyle 04-13-2013 02:10 AM

Sweet stick Sniper03...how does she shoot?

MisterMcCool 04-13-2013 02:12 AM

How is the recoil?

Sniper03 04-13-2013 03:08 PM

JP, thanks for the compliment! I have not had a chance to get it to the range yet since I put it together yesterday. But I will get a range report and test target posted as soon as I get back from teaching the next two weeks.
Mister McCool, I have shot several pigs with the 458 before I finally built one. But I would compare the recoil to that of a light load 20 ga.
jebsca, it is a good round and has good ballistics for a large caliber. I do know they will knock a pig down DRT! :D
Also they are easy to load if you do not want to buy factory or produced ammunition.

Sniper03 04-15-2013 03:31 PM

Thought I would share some information with those interested in the 458 SOCOM round.
As I stated it is a great Pig round. Talking with a friend of mine this past weekend he advised me of how affective it was on one occasion. It surely was a freak occasion but when he shot a pig there was another on standing directly on the other side of the first on a couple of yards. The bullet struck the first pig behind the front sholder. The bullet killed and passed through the first pig and exited killing the second pig. The round was found in the second pig but did not exit.
I am also going to be shooting the 325 grain Hornady FTX round which is a over 1,950+ fps out of the muzzle. And they are accurate according to the targets he showed me that were at 100 yards. I got some rounds from him and will do the range report and target in a couple of weeks.

purehavoc 04-15-2013 03:46 PM

Sweet pig killer you got there , We dont have Hogs around where Im at in IL and I dont reload so I can justify one but if I was down south where hogs are plentiful I would have that setup ;) . Every things better with bacon

Sniper03 05-02-2013 09:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally got to the Range with the new 458 SOCOM Build.
I first had laser bore sighted it. Then started off at 25 yards. Was hitting about 2.5-2 3/4" low which it should have! So I knew I would be close at 100yards and at least on target. Please see the Zero Target (first Picture) Then the second picture was shot by a friend of mine who was with me at the Range. I have trifocal glasses so that probably explains the difference on impact on the target. Usually everyone shoots higher if they us my weapons with optics on them ??????? Looks like "She" is a shooter! I am going to dial in another 1/2 MOA Right and I should be go to go pig hunting.

purehavoc 05-03-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03 (Post 1234376)
Finally got to the Range with the new 458 SOCOM Build.
I first had laser bore sighted it. Then started off at 25 yards. Was hitting about 2.5-2 3/4" low which it should have! So I knew I would be close at 100yards and at least on target. Please see the Zero Target (first Picture) Then the second picture was shot by a friend of mine who was with me at the Range. I have trifocal glasses so that probably explains the difference on impact on the target. Usually everyone shoots higher if they us my weapons with optics on them ??????? Looks like "She" is a shooter! I am going to dial in another 1/2 MOA Right and I should be go to go pig hunting.

Awesome, its a bit more accurate than I would have thought, You must be reloading your own loads ?

Sniper03 05-03-2013 02:23 PM

purehavoc,

Yes these are new loads. They were done by a friend of mine who owns a gun shop in IL. called Hilltop Guns Inc. And does sell the same rounds I fired with the little over 1/2 MOA Group. But surprising as it is I have fired others rounds from other companies and have been almost a equally pleased. Most will shoot well under a 1.5" group at 100 yards. But as you referred to, these are fantastic. But the guy is a professional loader and re-loader. I also was very impressed with the IOR Optic. Very nice unit to say the least and I love the reticle. It is the one with the Head Bracket and Dot.