Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 44 mag or 500 S&W...Why not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 04:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default 44 mag or 500 S&W...Why not?

Cane made me think of a question when he posted the 458 SOCOM thread...

Back in the day, the gun manufacturers made rifles and handguns in the same caliber for ease of carry. Now days they're making AR uppers in pistol calibers for fun and cheap plinking.

On the same note, pig and dangerous game hunters rely heavily on 44 mag, 460 S&W and the 500 S&W. Now I think that this is partially because those rounds a powerful enough to get the job done, but can be carried in a small package (revolver vs. rifle). However, I'm sure there are people out there who would rather carry a rifle. This March will be my first pig hunt so I am purely speculating, but it seems to me that a 44 mag, 460 or a 500 upper for an AR would be great. You could have a round powerful enough to hunt dangerous game with, it would be the same round your "backup" (if you still carried it) uses and the ammo is cheaper than the alternative (458 SOCOM). Not to mention these rounds in a rifle would be easier to handle and be more accurate.

Does this make sense or am I out in left field?

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Makes a lot of sense to me. I'm not aware of an AR in in any of those calibers and can think of a couple of issues in making one but I won't say it can't be done.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #3

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Demand would be low and unlike the 9mm, a new auto load magazine would need to be developed.

Plus, have you seen how dumb a 9mm AR looks?

Even in mall ninja garb it has the ghey.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-24-2010, 04:36 PM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

There is no amount of mall ninja crap to make the 9mm worth it...if you want to save money buy a friggin' .22...lol
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-24-2010, 04:47 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5121 Times on 2667 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
Now I think that this is partially because those rounds a powerful enough to get the job done, but can be carried in a small package (revolver vs. rifle). However, I'm sure there are people out there who would rather carry a rifle. This March will be my first pig hunt so I am purely speculating, but it seems to me that a 44 mag, 460 or a 500 upper for an AR would be great. You could have a round powerful enough to hunt dangerous game with, it would be the same round your "backup" (if you still carried it) uses and the ammo is cheaper than the alternative (458 SOCOM). Not to mention these rounds in a rifle would be easier to handle and be more accurate.

Does this make sense or am I out in left field?
those rounds are still pricey and you would have to reload for em to make frequent practice viable money wise. if your reloading the .458 socom would be my choice because there are oodles of .458 caliber bullets designed for the 45-70/458winmag/458Lott that are in the weight range of the 458 socom designed specifically for dangerous game hunting and are easy to find.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #6

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I don't know about the big magnum calibers, but several makers have produced both 9mm and .45ACP versions of the AR platform.

I have toyed with building a .45ACP AR for a few years now. The reason would be simplicity like you are talking about. Stock up on a .45 ammo and have one round for my sidearm and my short range long gun.

Hmmmm...... *thinking*

JD

Old 01-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #7

Found on the interwebz while surfing:

No further info found.

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 01-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #8

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Found on the interwebz while surfing:

No further info found.
Cane, White Zombie was a band headed by Rob Zombie. Black Sunshine was a song by White Zombie where Rob equated a suped up black mustang taking off like a slug from a .44...

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-24-2010, 05:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Cane, White Zombie was a band headed by Rob Zombie. Black Sunshine was a song by White Zombie where Rob equated a suped up black mustang taking off like a slug from a .44...
With all that info why is it on a stripped lower?

- orangello

Old 01-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

-----------------

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Last edited by Gatekeeper; 01-24-2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: wrong thread---oops