.308 vs 300 blackout - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > .308 vs 300 blackout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I for one like that all I need is a barrel and voila I can get a new caliber.

I like that I c anuse all my old mags.

I like that with a 9" barrel I now have a great hunting platform. Capable of putting down medium size game up to 200 yards.

I don't like the cost of plinking ammo.

I don't like how relatively hard it is to find ready made factory ammo. None of my lgs stock it.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #32

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Wow I Thank you all for your views, and informative resources. The thought of this rifle never was to run suppressed any more than my 5.56. I am out for a round with some serious stopping power. I am planning a 14.5 barrel and just ordered a Surplus Ammo and Arms stripped Reaper lower. Looking for a Two stage RRA 2 stage trigger. Ambidextrous controls. Probably a 12" ati rail and surefire muzzle brake. I just like the AR platform and a bullet that leaves a bigger hole, but who doesn't?

Old 07-12-2012, 08:46 AM   #33
FTF_SPONSOR.png

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
I don't like how relatively hard it is to find ready made factory ammo. None of my lgs stock it.
Your LGS may not stock any, but if you ask and if you purchase enough, I am sure they would order you some. One of the largest distributors for this industry currently has over 14,000 boxes of the 115gr UMC ammo. Honestly though, It would probably be cheaper to buy it from an out of state online dealer, so you don't have to pay sales tax. More than likely it is going to come from the same Distributor. CheaperThanDirt seems like the way to go for 115gr UMC ammo right now.

ROG Tactical
Corona, CA
sales@rogtac.com

Visit www.rogtac.com for quality AR-platform parts and accessories.

Forum members use coupon code, FT5, to save 5% on most products.

Old 07-12-2012, 01:53 PM   #34

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-mark View Post
Not everyone has to like this round...it has its place. I have several customers that have placed special orders with me for Noveske 8.2" 300BLK uppers for suppressed SBR use.
That is about the only place where it shows any promise. That in itself is fine. However, if there are enough people shooting NFA short barreled, suppressed weapons to keep it alive after the new round novelty wears off, has yet to be seen. We've had literally dozens of new whizz bang rounds come and go in the last decade or so.

Old 07-12-2012, 02:05 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentTikki View Post
I don't like the cost of plinking ammo. I don't like how relatively hard it is to find ready made factory ammo. None of my lgs stock it.
http://store.brassmanbrass.com/servlet/-strse-1210/300-AAC-Blackout-Brass-dsh-/Detail

Even the cost of once fired brass is high when compared to it's parent case. It is a time consuming process to form it from .223. You'll need a small bench lathe to part it off right behind the shoulder, to a slightly oversize OAL. Then you need to resize it in a full length resizing die. Then you have to go back and do a final trim to the finished OAL. Then you can proceed to load as normal. That's a long process for a cartridge you're going to pour ammo through with a Hi-Cap semi auto. Because of this, don't look for ammo to get real cheap, real fast. It won't. And always bear in mind you can still find brass cased, reloadable, factory .223 / 5.56 MM for right around $300.00 a thousand.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #36

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
That is about the only place where it shows any promise.
The fact remains - for people who want to shoot 30 cal from an AR15 and want to use normal magazines with 30 round capacity - it is the best solution.

That is a WHOLE lotta people.

Old 07-12-2012, 04:40 PM   #37

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
http://store.brassmanbrass.com/servlet/-strse-1210/300-AAC-Blackout-Brass-dsh-/Detail

Even the cost of once fired brass is high when compared to it's parent case
Not sure why you picked the highest price place. Well I know why - to try to make it look expensive.

10 cents: http://www.southwestammunition.com/product_p/brass300blkof.htm

10 cents: http://www.allweatherarms.com/1000-Pieces-Processed-300-AAC-Blackout-Brass-1000-Pcs-Processed-300-Blackout.htm
Old 07-12-2012, 04:42 PM   #38

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Because of this, don't look for ammo to get real cheap, real fast. It won't.
This is 30 caliber ammunition. Of course it costs more than 223.

$8.50 per box: http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=80261

And check the prices on CheaperThanDirt - it is significantly cheaper than 30-30.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:05 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsilvers View Post
Not sure why you picked the highest price place. Well I know why - to try to make it look expensive.

10 cents: http://www.southwestammunition.com/product_p/brass300blkof.htm
"OUT OF STOCK" But yeah, it's "cheaper".

Old 07-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #40

Like I said, you are more of a salesman than a shooter. And that's fine. But this thing is what it is, a cut down .22 turned into a low performance .30 cal. Nothing more, nothing less. I'll admit, you're good at making it look like the greatest thing since sliced bread on the shelf, comparing it to everything except the latest fly lures. But that doesn't change much.

It's another new cartridge that doesn't offer much in the way of .30 caliber performance. For shooting it out of 8" barrels with cans for entry teams, etc. it will have a very limited market. But for the masses who many are first or second time AR-15 buyers, not so much, if at all. People are reluctant to spend 1K on a weapon in a relatively oddball caliber. And remember a lot of people own 1, AR-15. Much fewer are enthusiasts, like on this board who own several. And it's only those who might try it. Even then it's a lot of money for not much, if any actual ballistic improvement.

Look at the people who bought a lot of the short, fat, wonder cartridges of the late 90's when they came out. Many, like most of the Remington SAUM's are already all but obsolete. Few places stock ammunition for them, and even fewer brass. If you examine all of the rounds that have been chambered in AR platform rifles over the years, with the exception of the .223 / 5.56 MM and the .308, what percentage of the actual AR-15 market have they really captured? It not enough to even worry about.

I've yet to see an AR rifle chambered in 6.5 Creedmore or Grendel, or any of these bastardized .458 rounds that have been rebated to the point of ridiculousness. And the AR-15 is one of the most popular platform rifles at my local gun club, and most others as well. I hardly ever go there and not see at least one person shooting them. Like I say, now it's all the rage. See what happens in a couple of years when the novelty wears off, along with all the hype it's getting from every gun rag published. That is what will determine if it succeeds, or becomes yet another has been, off the wall caliber.