308 AR barrel length? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 308 AR barrel length?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Skrb_25 View Post
I just want a long range platform. I really love the AR platform, and not really a bolt gun platform guy. I have other weapons for CQB and other purposes. I figure if I'm building another AR , I want to get some range. I comfortable shooting up to 500-600 meters now, but would like to go longer. Money is not that much of an issue, I expected to invest 3-4k. I guess it's just a personal challenge to build a rifle that can do that, and then learn to shoot that range. I have friends who were snipers and like to learn from them. I just don't have the rifle that can do that yet.
Two pieces of advice:

Bolts will generally serve you better for your dollar.

But if you prefer SA, and understand the higher investment required...do your research. In a lot of ways, I'm with you. I like both SA rifles and the AR platform. An AR-10 absolutely can be an ultra-precise 1000yd gun. But it will be an expensive venture. And you need to recognize that (especially if building) many 308 AR platforms/parts are not compatible with the next brand. It's a little different from the "everything fits everything else" world of DI AR-15s.

As much as I like building, I would recommend buying a complete rifle that suits your needs and then purchasing the mags/accessories that fit it. This is why I mention that I may buy a DPMS Recon or M1A...I know that platforms suit my needs, and after that I'll simply worry about accessories...rather than parts/fit/conversion/compatability issues.

Figure out your budget and find a maker (that you'll really like, because you're going to have some $ tied up in the name recognition alone) that best offers what you're looking for. When it comes to 308, I really like Armalite, DPMS, FN, also like LMT, and dislike RRA. Just personal preferences. I have my own reasons and I'm not about to say that anyone is inferior. It's all about what specs you prefer.

I know DPMS has a somewhat cheapo rep when it comes to AR-15s. But my experience with them has generally been good. And I think it takes a significant step forward when it comes to the quality of their 308 platforms. YMMV.

Last edited by sweeper22; 04-08-2013 at 07:01 PM.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:31 PM   #12

Liked 599 Times on 319 Posts

Thanks for the advice. Ive been doing some research and see that the compatibility configuration is a challenge. I was going to start of with a Mega upper and lower. They seem to be the most builder friendly when it comes to compatibility I other components. I do t know why, butt I'm stubborn as a mule, and when my wheels start spinning i only go forward.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1245 Times on 707 Posts
Likes Given: 591

Quote:
I just want a long range platform. I really love the AR platform, and not really a bolt gun platform guy. I have other weapons for CQB and other purposes. I figure if I'm building another AR , I want to get some range. I comfortable shooting up to 500-600 meters now, but would like to go longer. Money is not that much of an issue, I expected to invest 3-4k. I guess it's just a personal challenge to build a rifle that can do that, and then learn to shoot that range. I have friends who were snipers and like to learn from them. I just don't have the rifle that can do that yet.
If you want a caliber on an AR10 style platform to shoot at 1k,and do it well,then look at the 6.5 Creedmoor or 260 Remington. The 6.5 caliber bullets are so much better ballistically than the .308 bullets.
For long range shooting with these calibers,I'd go with a 24 or 26 inch barrel. I run a 20 inch barrel on my LR-260,but I wanted it for a lighter weight hunting rifle.

Mega makes a good upper/lower set-up,and I'd look at Krieger for a good barrel!

Old 04-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #14

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Well if you reload, check out the 6.5 grendel/.264 lbc . That will do 1200 yards with the right setup up. There is factory ammo available for it, and the best part, you can put it on a standard ar15 lower. No need to go with an ar10.

bradam Likes This 
Old 04-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #15

Liked 335 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 51

There's a great thread on snipershide.com that goes over the pros and cons of every caliber. If you want I'll dig it up for you.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #16

Liked 599 Times on 319 Posts

Thanks for the info guys.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6258 Times on 3515 Posts
Likes Given: 5846

Quote:
If long range is your primary concern, go with a 24 inch heavy barrel.

You'll need a gun bearer to help you carry it around, but with the right ammo and shooter behind the sights it will do the job.

You mighjt also consider looking for a rifle chambered in .300 SAUM or Winchester short magnum. Ga Precision www.gaprecision.net will build one for you in magnum calibers.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz