308 ar-15? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

308 ar-15?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2014, 01:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

Do your research if you intend on building on in .308 . They are not like a Mil Spec AR15 where all parts are interchangeable. Some .308 parts of one manufacturer may not fit another manufacturer . Some uppers wont fit other lowers, some have specific mags that only work with their brand. Barrel nut threads are different between different brands, some have different height uppers and free float hand guards may not match up exact to some brands . DPMS even has 3 different rail heights .
In all honesty this platform is easiest to purchase a complete rifle and in most aspects its cheaper to buy a complete than build your own in the .308 platform .
I bought complete and switched up to the parts I wanted . People really swoop up take offs and used .308 parts pretty quick so I recouped most of my money switching parts . Im not trying to steer you away from building but it can be a expensive mistake if you purchase the wrong parts. This one weighs in a little over 11# as pictured and most of that weight is from the PRS stock and buffer tube. The stock and buffer tube alone without buffer and spring weight 1.9# . I could knock off a 1 1/4 # going to a MOE stock and buffer and get it at that 10# range if I really wanted to . I have the PRS set up for me and the extra weight isnt a big deal to me . You can shave weight if you choose to do so . I could have used aluminum scope mounts instead of steel Leupolds . I will say this with the extra weight on this rifle it has very little recoil

308 ar-15? - AR-15 Discussion

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 04-29-2014 at 02:00 PM.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 854 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Jon, nice gun.who makes that scar17?

Criminals, thugs and dopeheads-Do not tread on me or my family

keep your liberals at bay, so the eagle can pick them apart.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:12 PM   #13

Liked 752 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1803 View Post
FN...........

Old 04-29-2014, 02:14 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 567 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

Ok. Well after all this I don't think I am going to be building an AR 10. Maybe buy one one-day.

My initial thought about my next AR-15 build was this:
I would like to have either a 18 or 20" barrel to take advantage of higher velocities and smoother operation of the rifle gas system. The profile I was looking towards was at least mid weight or government. The barrel would need to be chrome lined at a minimum but I would really like one of the FN machine gun barrels from PSA if I could afford it.

Obviously a rifle length rail capable hand guard. At this point I don't really care what brand. I am not really going to mount much on it but I like the option of putting something on later if I so wish.

Probably a multi position collapsible stock that is a little bigger than the standard style M4 stock. Been eying some Magpul stuff.

Up top I am going to put either a nice red dot with a flip away magnifier like I have on one of my other AR's or perhaps a low powered scope (3-5x or so)

Lastly I am going to give the whole thing a camo paint job.

SO.... The whole reason I was asking is I was contemplating building something with a little more power behind it.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 04-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #15

Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

Most everything is bigger and heavier on the .308 versions

308 ar-15? - AR-15 Discussion

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 04-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #16

Liked 3257 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 432

.300 Blackout might be worth a look. Works with standard mags and little in the way of changes other than the appropriate barrel. Ballistically, it's in the neighborhood of the 7.62x39. Much depends on your intended use as to whether it's worth your while.
It's on my list of things to do at some point.
Biggest downside would likely be ammo availability and cost for those who don't reload.
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Last edited by Overkill0084; 04-29-2014 at 03:14 PM.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6820 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1803 View Post
Fnhusa but all civy scars are imported from belgium and made 922r compliant here with .mil parts and barrels. My scar is heavily modified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post
Ok. Well after all this I don't think I am going to be building an AR 10. Maybe buy one one-day.

I would like to have either a 18 or 20" barrel to take advantage of higher velocities and smoother operation of the rifle gas system. The profile I was looking towards was at least mid weight or government. The barrel would need to be chrome lined at a minimum but I would really like one of the FN machine gun barrels from PSA if I could afford it.

Obviously a rifle length rail capable hand guard. At this point I don't really care what brand. I am not really going to mount much on it but I like the option of putting something on later if I so wish.

Probably a multi position collapsible stock that is a little bigger than the standard style M4 stock. Been eying some Magpul stuff.

Up top I am going to put either a nice red dot with a flip away magnifier like I have on one of my other AR's or perhaps a low powered scope (3-5x or so)

SO.... The whole reason I was asking is I was contemplating building something with a little more power behind it.

16" barrels work awsome with 308. Max effective realistic range is about 800yards it can reach out to 1000 but its really iffy. Max range is about 2000yards but your just poking it out there trying to hit a acre at that point.

16" vs 20".your giving up 50ish fps for a huge weight savings and its not going to break or make any shot.

My wife uses a 22" savage 10 in 308 she can poke hers out to 900-1000 but its heavier gun with less capabilty than mine.

A while back i went through the proccess of researching out a semi 308 stumbled across the scar17. Top choices. At the time were the colt 901 and larue obr.

The scar17 has a cold hammer forged chromed barrel and chamber. Monolithic reciever. Tuneable gas system. Simple rugged bcg. And tons of available aftermarket options. Fairly easy to get spare parts from several vendors and from fnh themselves.

While stock they use bulky mags designed at the end of ww2 for the fal i converted mine to using pmags.

If i didnt go scar17.i would have gotten the colt 901
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 04-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #18

Liked 1255 Times on 813 Posts
Likes Given: 792

Quote:
Originally Posted by fa35jsf View Post

so you wanted something with more power than a 223.. the .300blk, the 6.8spc, the .458socom. there are a lot of higher powered cartridges made that can be had. try out one of these or at least look into them. they all use the standard 15 lowers and the upper and mags are all that need to be changed. i just built my second 6.8spc. i love the exrta power i get from it. trying to take a deer with it next fall, this last year i saw nothing legal for me to shoot at
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:28 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 567 Times on 339 Posts
Likes Given: 235

I heard that the problem with 6.8 is there is 3 different calibers called 6.8 and they are not compatible. Is that true?

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 04-29-2014, 04:56 PM   #20

Liked 1317 Times on 748 Posts
Likes Given: 635

The 6.8 SPC is a great caliber choice for the AR-15 platform,as is the 6.5 Grendel. The 300 Blackout was designed mainly for shooting with a suppressor,and doesn't really have the ballistics that the other's offer.
North American Hunting Club

Newest Threads

Ria