.300 ossm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > .300 ossm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 03:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .300 ossm

Anyone heard of it? Know a guy who has it? YOU have it? Well if you qualify for one or more of the listed, I need your help. The .300 Olympic Super Short Magnum, a .308 cal cartridge with 3 factory loads I know of. A 110 grain doing somethin well over 3000, a 150 doing around 3100 and another 150 doin around the same. That's real good, considering factory '06 ammo is around 27-2800 fps. When you handload them you can get em up there to 3000 but this is an Olympic arms factory load. It's a 30-06 on an AR-15 lower, good stuff. And if I can milk enough out of you guys and the internet, I'll probably pick one up, so by all means post your opinion. We reload so thats not an issue, just that we can pick enough brass up.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-14-2010, 04:25 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been doing some limited research on this particular upper myself as I thought that it may make a fine project for my next AR. From what I gather, the round is exactly the same as a .300 wssm, which should make brass pretty readily available. My only hang up at this point is it seems that only a 20" barrel is available, and I would much rather have a 24" as I only shoot off of a bench, weight is not an issue, but muzzle velocity and accuracy sure are. If you gather any information, please let me know, I will be keeping a close eye on this thread.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:02 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Have heard of it. Haven't see it yet. Thoughts?

Well, you have a super fat case, propelling a .30 cal bullet at speeds in excess of 3000fps. That, to me, is an immediate question of barrel life. A lot of the SSM's come with a shop monicker that goes something to the effect of "Sure it will do that, and you only have to buy barrels in a 6 pack to keep it running"

All of the SSM magnums have, for the most part, been purchased by fringe elements that are looking for a little extra something. Now, these are just observations from around here in the P.N.W., YMMV where you live.

Having a .308 type bullet traveling at such a high speed, but still keeping an AR-15 lower could have great potential if the round performs as advertised. I checked the site and the ammo is going for $50/box - and that is 20 rounds fellas, so it ain't cheap to get started.

$2.50/round to see if the damn thing can group is something I would definitely take into account before I go buying another $800 upper.

I might be tempted to buy a gun mag that had a real world shoot with it and see if it can group and perform as indicated.

But, in just some research this morning, I can't find a trajectory table anywhere. There are a ton of posts all around the forum boards "announcing" it as the new super cartridge, but I want to see what this thing does at 300, 400, 500 and beyond.

Something to keep in mind is that this a flat top receiver. If you have to make serious elevation changes to hit further targets because of the trajectory ( and I don't know you would have to, I am merely throwing this out there ) you are going to need a specialized rail with MOA built in, or a very high dollar scope that you can crank towards the sun.

Just food for thought.

JD

Old 09-14-2010, 05:10 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I was just thinking of this particular rifle as something to build that is way different than what other folks have out at the range, and something to smack the metal silhouettes on the 550 meter range out in Ione, CA. The 6.5 Grendel is another option, but doesn't seem to be any less expensive to get started with. I hate how there is a direct corrolation between effective range, accuracy, and cost! I constantly have to remind myself that I am a somewhat poor 20 sumpin year old and that building my AR in .223 damn near bankrupted me.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:22 PM   #5
vic

Default 300 awsume

Josey, I have purchased a 300 ossm and love it!!!!! I have about 200 rounds down the pipe. I to was worried about throat damage so I took it to a gunsmith and he told me that it looked like new. That was after 200 rounds, some were loaded fairly warm chronographed at 3130 with a 150 grain bullet! So I really would not worry about it.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:26 AM   #6

vic, Thank You, nice to hear you love it, and that its doing good with the barrel. What kind of groups are you getting with it? Do you reload, and if so, how much is it costing. What other things about reloading, if you do, like powder, and what types of bullets do you use?

Squirrel_Slayer, I hear you with the money thing, I save every penny I get til I get to my goal. I was, and still am, a Grendel fan, but the velocity of the 25 WSSM caught my eye. I was researching that when I came across this. I'm thinking this is the best so far. The bullets are heavy, the velocity is high, and I read that the accuracy is really good, I mean, what more can you want? Also, the barrel length isn't a problem for me, I hunt pretty much, a few targets to sight it in, then it'll be a hunting gun. I would see though where you want the extra four inches.

And thank you guys for the input

Old 09-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #7
vic

Default 300 awsume

Josey, Nice to hear from you. As for the load I was using vitavouri 540 powder and hornady 150 gr. bullets. I was getting 200 yard groups of right at 13/4 in. While not competition grade groups they are great hunting groups and I am a hunter. If someone is interested in buying a 300 awesume I have one for sale. I bought one for my son but he is a teenager and his interest have changed from guns to cars and girls go figure. It has around 60 rounds shot thru it. I am asking 675.00 with 50 rounds of once fired brass.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:35 AM   #8
vic

Default 300 awsume

Just a note on the 300 ossm it is the upper not the whole rifle.Vic

Old 09-21-2010, 06:04 AM   #9

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This seems like a really cool option to buying a complete AR10 type rifle if you already have a nice AR15 lower.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:19 AM   #10

Saves 300 bucks on the lower, and however much else (14-1800 bucks) for a whole dang AR-10, with better than .308 ballistics, yes, I'd say it's definately worth it.