300 Fireball / Whisper upper
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 300 Fireball / Whisper upper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2008, 03:37 AM   #1
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Default 300 Fireball / Whisper upper

I was wanting to get a 458 SOCOM and/or a 50 Beowolf upper for my spare lowers,but since the election and the Obama scare that doesn't seem to look good. They are both backordered til who knows when! And the used ones I have seen are totally overpriced or the people bidding on them just have more money than sense.

I have been buying some of my AR parts and acc from Model 1 Sales from time to time and noticed that they sell the 300 Fireball,but I never gave it much thought,(Me thinking it was just some off the wall wildcat cartridge).
I Googled the 300 Fireball today,and what I found out about it makes me want to try it out. It was really designed as a subsonic round to be used with suppressors,but they have found it to be a very good round to use supersonic and with all the different 30cal bullets available it could have a wide range of uses. It uses 221 brass that is necked up for 30 cal bullets,but some have found that instead of using 221 brass they can just trim down a 223 case below the neck and then resize the neck and trim to length.

Does anyone have this caliber? If so how do you like the performance of it,and what do you use it for,Targets,Hunting,etc.. THB

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-27-2008, 01:53 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

You might also want to take a look at the .450 Bushmaster.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:27 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The .300 Fireball was originally called the 300 Whisper and it was designed for a silenced assisian round. It was very popular with handgun silhouette shooters for years. I picked up a Contender barrel chambered in that round last summer and haven`t plaied with it alot, but enough to tell you it is very low recoil and my barrel is very accurate with heavy Lead Head Hard Cast gas checked bullets.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 11-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I was wanting to get a 458 SOCOM and/or a 50 Beowolf upper for my spare lowers,but since the election and the Obama scare that doesn't seem to look good. They are both backordered til who knows when! And the used ones I have seen are totally overpriced or the people bidding on them just have more money than sense.

THB
Well...if the SOCOM is still in your vision...check here, they still have them...albeit for a few pesos more than they were a month ago...

458 SOCOM

Slo

Old 11-29-2008, 08:27 PM   #5
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Thanks Slowryde,I'll check them out.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 11-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post

I have been buying some of my AR parts and acc from Model 1 Sales from time to time and noticed that they sell the 300 Fireball,but I never gave it much thought,(Me thinking it was just some off the wall wildcat cartridge).
I Googled the 300 Fireball today,and what I found out about it makes me want to try it out. It was really designed as a subsonic round to be used with suppressors,but they have found it to be a very good round to use supersonic and with all the different 30cal bullets available it could have a wide range of uses. It uses 221 brass that is necked up for 30 cal bullets,but some have found that instead of using 221 brass they can just trim down a 223 case below the neck and then resize the neck and trim to length.

Does anyone have this caliber? If so how do you like the performance of it,and what do you use it for,Targets,Hunting,etc.. THB
I see this is a very old thread but I think the .300 Fireball is a very cool caliber. There are many kinds of 30 caliber bullets and even sabots to shoot .224 bullets if you want. I'm going to put one together either on an ar15 or my model 700 Remington.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:47 PM   #7

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Twenty-three months, three weeks.