300 blk
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

300 blk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 02:06 AM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 498 Times on 276 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default 300 blk

What are the thoughts on this? How do you think it would do for Hogs?
300 Blackout

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-03-2011, 02:18 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7326 Times on 3903 Posts
Likes Given: 576

would prolly work fine. they imply you can use standard ar mags not sure if its true. 30cal means you can load some good effective hunting bullets. this round would pretty much require you to load your own to make it affordable with effective bulllets. its basically a better version of the 7.62x39.

anything you can hunt with a 30-30 effectively, this should do the same. i doubt its much over a 150-200 yard range round for hunting purposes.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 88 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It doesn't blow my socks down but if you keep it inside 150ish yards you should be OK. I don't see myself rushing out to get one though.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #4

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 68

If you are familiar with .300Whisper, this is essentially the same round. But it will be avail from Remington, which means ammo selection and availability will be high.

With the light bullets it is a very good performer, and with the heavy bullets it is easily suppressible.

It uses standard 5.56x45 magazines, buffers and BCG's, which is a big plus.

My next AR will be in .300AACBlk.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 01-03-2011, 02:34 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Just ordered one this morning after doing some research the last couple weeks. I liked my 7.62x39 but like the though of being able to use a standard 5.56 Bolt, magazines, etc. The only thing you have to change is the barrel and ammunition. I want something heavier than 5.56 but something I have parts for already. And the testers have said it is much softer shooting than x39.

The suppressed stats look good. Theres been talk of guys giving up on their MP5s for this round.

Ammunition is around $21 a box for 220gr. subsonic and $12.99 for 123gr. supersonic. I just purchased a box of x39 at WalMart for $16. So if your comparing copper and brass to copper and brass the ammo isnt bad at all. Granted there isnt any cheap Russian steel.

And yes, its probably going to be great for hogs. Wilson Combat put a 300 AAC BLK rig together and has taken hogs and deer.

Good info on the .300 AAC BLK:

http://www.silencertests.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=128&sid=c0e2d1be66e821cee16a9ed5a7 20d252

http://ar15chatterbox.com/viewtopic.php?t=3918

Last edited by mjkeat; 01-03-2011 at 02:40 PM.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #6

Liked 3743 Times on 1829 Posts
Likes Given: 13279

I like it! Of course it's not .458SOCOM but not all of us can be winners

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 01-03-2011, 04:02 PM   #7

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I'm not sure how well .458S would suppress. I dont know cost on it either but surely its more than $12 per 20rds for factory stuff. And its probably not even close to as manageable lol.

Old 01-13-2011, 11:52 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Looks like a pretty anemic round to me. I have heard the same thing about the 6.5 Grendel. The impressions that I have gotten from most is that any brass that is going to fit into an AR15 is not going to have enough powder behind in it to really push a 123gr. bullet that hard. However, take this with a grain of salt as I mentioned before, it's just the impression of some shooters I know with some different caliber AR15s.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:46 AM   #9

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
Looks like a pretty anemic round to me. I have heard the same thing about the 6.5 Grendel. The impressions that I have gotten from most is that any brass that is going to fit into an AR15 is not going to have enough powder behind in it to really push a 123gr. bullet that hard. However, take this with a grain of salt as I mentioned before, it's just the impression of some shooters I know with some different caliber AR15s.
Nothing at all like 6.5Grendel. 6.5G is a great long range rd that works in a standard AR, but with dedicated mags.

.300 Whisper/.300BLK were designed to be 100% reliable in a standard AR platform using standard 5.56 mags. Designed to be essentially silent when firing 220gr bullets through a suppressor, yet turn in respectable velocities and range with 110-123gr bullets. It does everything it was intended to do, and does it very accurately with complete reliability and no high pressures.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 01-14-2011, 02:19 AM   #10

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Its reported that the 123gr loads mirror 7.62x39. I wouldn't call x39 anemic by any stretch.