.300 AAC Blackout - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > .300 AAC Blackout

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 03:28 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Yep, for every lower you want to SBR and every suppressor you want to purchase.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #22

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

JD, so basically that rifle is illegal in WA as it stands right now?

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 01-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #23

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

As Dillinger said, very cool round, the ballistic specs on it are pretty amazing, I didn't get the flyer on it but I'm sure Dillinger will post it soon......the best part is that all the "parts" of the round are already readily available, the casing is a cut down .223/5.56 and the bullet is a .308, nothing special that isn't out there already. Other good thing is that the forces on the bolt aren't going to F it up like some of the other caliber conversions out there.

I might have to be one of the "cool kids" too and get a new upper and barrel for my AR in this round this year

Dillinger and Sucubie correct anything I misheard or forgot to add (I got in at 0030 this morning and was 0130 before I was home)

Albert Einstein "The important thing is not to stop questioning"

Old 01-22-2011, 04:45 PM   #24

Liked 3736 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Just like JD always pushing the AR stuff on us kids. I'll never break free of this cursed affliction ..... not like that is a bad thing. Hmmmm, another AR in .300? Let's take a look at the 2011 Christmas budget ...

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Last edited by dog2000tj; 01-22-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Old 01-22-2011, 04:49 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Just like JD always pushing the AR stuff on us kids. I'll never break free of thi cursed affliction ..... not like that is a bad thing. Hmmmm, another AR in .300? Let's take a look at the 2011 Christmas budget ...
It was amazing how hard it was to find AR stuff to look at at the Shot Show

Old 01-22-2011, 07:35 PM   #26

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
AAC comes out with this new round that is basically a cut down .223/5.56 brass with a .308 bullet in it. Suppressed, it is 3 to 4 inches longer than the HK, but the noise reduction is within 3dB, but at three times the impact of the round!! Talk about crazy awesome....

Problem: everything is being designed for a 9" barrel. That requires NFA stuff for you and me (I.e. - SBR paperwork and a tax stamp)

More to follow.....
So I am finally home and got some sleep. I think I am clear headed enough to continue.

The designed upper platform from AAC is coming out in a 9" ( or short barreled rifle ) and should be available in most states ( including Washington ) but you will have to file for the Short Barrel with the Feds AND if you want to get a suppressor for it, you have to file for that too, both of which will cost the infamous $200 tax stamp and NO they can not be covered under the same stamp as they are different pieces of gear.

The application's resources in AAC's eyes is that you can take any 5.56mm ammo case, trim it, resize it, pick up some .308 bullets and load up some hard hitting ammo for your weapon.

Now to dispel some internet myths about the .300 Blackout that people who were "in the know" were talking out of their asses about.

First off, there are only 2 "weight" rounds they are "actively" developing and they are working with Remington on supplying their ammo. There are other "unnamed" ammo makers that are supposedly working on their own variants of the round ( different weights and applications - but could not be named/would not be named by the AAC rep ). They are not getting into the ammo business, but they will be producing some ammo for specific applications ( I.E. - military/law enforecement ).

The first is the 220 grain and the only other one is a 123 grain bullet.

Everyone talking about 150 grain and how there are going to be all these direct carry over rounds from the 7.62 x 51 like the 168 grain are not well informed and basically, false.

Here is the official website to follow the developments as they happen.

300 AAC BLACKOUT (300BLK)

The benefits outside of the mentioned planning are several, which make it a much better round for the AR platform than the 7.62 x 39mm ( the AK round ). The shoulder taper on the 39mm round (in the downsized case design) is such that it is not as reliable in AR style mags as the new design. The shoulder on the .300 is actually less angled than on the 5.56mm, so the feed from the standard AR mag "should" make reliability better in full auto applications. In addition the .300 Blackout has a SAAMI rating, something that will help insure accuracy and safety when reloading.

Another great benefit is that AAC will be selling a barrel conversion kit for ANY existing D.I. AR-15 that is currently in your safe. The initial thought is that the 9" barrel conversion will be $425 ( NFA rules apply ). The conversion for a more easy to obtain ( for the civilian market ) in 16" will be around $550.

The kit will come with a new barrel ( obviously ) cut for the round's chamber and will also include a brand new gas block ( pre-fit and installed ) along with a new gas tube. Limited assembly will be required on your end, but if you can take a barrel off, you can put a new .300 Blackout together on your existing platform.

That's it. No new mags, no new BCG or bolthead. All your existing parts stay the same except what gets shipped in the kit. Installation shoudl take no longer than an hour ( for the average AR guy ) and you are up and running with the new caliber.

So a ton of screaming pluses right? At this point there is no reason to break out the credit card. Right?

Here are my personal, and I can't stress this enough that these are only my personal thoughts on the platform.

With a 100 yard zero, and the 220 grain round out of the 9" barrel, you lose 35 inches of flight at 200 yards. That is 67 Clicks of 1/4 MOA on your scope. From the 100 yard zero to 400 yards, you lose 224 inches in flight. That is 213 clicks on your scope.

A quick check will show you that you don't HAVE 213 clicks available on your scope.

Now the 123 grain bullet out of the same 9" upper and the same 100 yard zero:

You only lose 8.8 inches at 200 yards, which is totally acceptable for a round that is 2 times the weight of the 55 grain bullet. However at 300 yards you lose 31.2 inches. In 200 yards you need 40 clicks to hit the mark on your scope. From 300 to 400, you lose another 40 inches of flight path and you need another 29 clicks on the scope.

While this thing hits like a sledgehammer out of the barrel, it also has the aerodynamics of that same sledgehammer.

The AR platform is a flat top application. You can get a 20 MOA rail to install on top of it that will help, but you are going to start messing with cheek weld and adding parts to compensate for a round that is just not going to be a "long range" shooter.

Having asked, there are NO OFFICIAL 16" barrel ballistics on this round, so I don't know what kind of numbers we are talking about with drop and energy transfer at ranges exceeding street to street fighting or house clearing.

This is a very well designed round. This is a platform that will definitely gain traction and will be adopted by other manufacturing companies ( DPMS "claims" they are working on a 16" and an 18" upper for that platform ) will get behind and support.

220 grains, or even 123 grains, versus 55 grains is a no brainer for a swat team, patrol rifles, and even our guys over in the sandbox clearing houses and fighting street to street, or inside 100 yards.

For a SHTF application, I can see this having benefits that far exceed having to rely upon the 7.62 x 39mm. Especially if you can collect 5.56 brass and just reload it for the .300 Blackout. Huge plus.

But with the official ballistic data that I have seen, I have trouble encouraging anyone to run right out and buy a conversion kit at this juncture.

I reserve the right to change that opinion based on future information that is official and has been proven (I.E. - is from AAC and verified) but right now I would encourage you guys to wait a bit and see what hits the shelves this summer.

YMMV.

JD

Old 01-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJason View Post
It was amazing how hard it was to find AR stuff to look at at the Shot Show
I would imagine ... especially if you spend most of the time at the noodie bar!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Old 01-22-2011, 08:04 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
right now I would encourage you guys to wait a bit and see what hits the shelves this summer.
Don't listen to him Shi get the sucker ordered ASAP!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

Old 01-22-2011, 08:14 PM   #29

Quote:
I would imagine ... especially if you spend most of the time at the noodie bar!

hahaha.....no trips to the noodie bar, not that the wife wouldn't have gone

tough thing about hanging out with JD is that he hates looking at AR stuff

Old 01-22-2011, 08:28 PM   #30

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Don't listen to him Shi get the sucker ordered ASAP!

I'm just saying that I would personally wait.

There is not enough empirical data AT THIS TIME to justify the investment when the very item in question is developing at such a rapid rate.

But, that is merely my honest opinion of what I was able to gleam from two conversations with the AAC folks and a visit to the DPMS booth. *shrug*

JD