223 wylde or 556 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 223 wylde or 556

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 214 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 148

http://www.blackholeweaponry.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21&osCsid=7c9326a1b281f449ec445e6f aa4d007a

Lots of choices at your price range or just a touch higher. Great reputation for accuracy. Lots of custom options. 556 chambering combined with 1/8 twist, great combo for tackdriver accuracy...

Wylde chamber is really only needed, or shines, on target guns with handloads. Most of my past varmit builds are Wilson barrel 1/8 stainless with the wylde chamber 20-26" long. I am in the process of changing over to the above supplier for the custom finish options. The polygon rifling is supposed to be superior also.

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Last edited by dwmiller; 01-07-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1851 Times on 1002 Posts
Likes Given: 565

I have not had any accuracy issues shooting 223 in a 5.56x45 chamber.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #13
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2419 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 1227

Copeman,

My advise is go with a Rock River 18" or 20" 1:8 Twist Varmint Barrels. They are made by the Wilson Barrel Company and are some of the finest and most accurate barrels out there and the stainless barrels are Wylde Chambers. Very capable of doing 1/4 MOA Groups at 100 yards. I know! I have had two Rock River Arms 20" A-4 Varmint Rifles with the 20" Wylde Chamber (designed by BIll Wylde who was a very good match shooter.) He rifined the 5.56 NATO Chamber for precision match shooting. And did an excellent job.
I have shot many a 1/4" and 1/2" group, depending on me, the day and the wind! And most shot with factory Federal P-223-E Federal 223 Ammunition. Depending on what you want the gun for makes a difference in the decision of the barrel length and and weight. If you want a Varmint or a Predator Rifle. If you want a Predator Rifle you should look at the Barrle RRA uses on the Predator Pursuite which has the Wylde Chamber and is in fact the same 20" Barrle that is used on the RRA National Match Rifles used at Camp Perry for the Nationals. The other good Predator Rifle is the Coyote Rifle and uppers. A Jon adivsed there is no relation of Wislon Barrel Company and Wilson Combat! Two seperate companies. Wilson barrels are some of the best!
*The RRA Stainless 1:8 Barrels are also Air Guaged for pricse bores!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-07-2014, 11:35 PM   #14

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Copeman,

My advise is go with a Rock River 18" or 20" 1:8 Twist Varmint Barrels. They are made by the Wilson Barrel Company and are some of the finest and most accurate barrels out there and the stainless barrels are Wylde Chambers. Very capable of doing 1/4 MOA Groups at 100 yards. I know! I have had two Rock River Arms 20" A-4 Varmint Rifles with the 20" Wylde Chamber (designed by BIll Wylde who was a very good match shooter.) He rifined the 5.56 NATO Chamber for precision match shooting. And did an excellent job.
I have shot many a 1/4" and 1/2" group, depending on me, the day and the wind! And most shot with factory Federal P-223-E Federal 223 Ammunition. Depending on what you want the gun for makes a difference in the decision of the barrel length and and weight. If you want a Varmint or a Predator Rifle. If you want a Predator Rifle you should look at the Barrle RRA uses on the Predator Pursuite which has the Wylde Chamber and is in fact the same 20" Barrle that is used on the RRA National Match Rifles used at Camp Perry for the Nationals. The other good Predator Rifle is the Coyote Rifle and uppers. A Jon adivsed there is no relation of Wislon Barrel Company and Wilson Combat! Two seperate companies. Wilson barrels are some of the best!
*The RRA Stainless 1:8 Barrels are also Air Guaged for pricse bores!

Thanks for your input!! A little out of my price range but I feel the extra $$ will be worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 01-07-2014, 11:37 PM   #15

Most guys don't care about sub moa but achieveing such accuracy is just part of the shooting sport to me.

Old 01-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #16

Liked 216 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Maybe sub moa is not needed but it sure as heck is nice to have barrel that will let you shoot at a high level. I have seen more than a couple RRA varments shoot some very small groups. I don't need the heavier barrel that rra / wilson barrels offers but sure did size them up is my only other choice. Do Not corn-fuzz Wilson barrels with Wilson combats subbed out barrels. I just wanted a very dependable barrel and have a hard time passing on something designed by Krieger even if it is a production barrel. Black hole will make a great barrel too if you can wait to get the one you want. good luck.

Old 01-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #17

Liked 214 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 148

The motto was if you can see it, you can hit it. Whatever "it" you want to define...

Sub moa accuracy IS what its all about! Moa may be fine for threegun and speed games but I varmit hunt at 500+ yards. The Wilson barrels are very capable of minute of prarie rat accuracy at 500 yards. My current testbed rifle is clocking 0.45moa with a 22" Wilson heavy 1/8 wylde chamber. This is with over 5000 rds through the barrel by the book, 5180 to be exact.

My recommendations for blackrain above is based on the advice of others I trust. Plus getting to put 100 rds through a friends blackrain build. The base barrels are at the top of your price range, but these are custom made to order barrels. Personally I think they are a bargain at that price. Plus having the option of custom fluting and threading when you order...

"You know why there's a Second Amendment? In case the government fails to follow the first one."
-- Rush Limbaugh, in a moment of unaccustomed profundity

"MOLON LABE" - Come and get them, can't be any plainer than that!

Old 01-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #18

I know there may be some who rag on me here... But my 20" fluted super bull from Rguns has never let me down! Yes they have long lead times but the product I received was well worth the wait. And easy on the pocket book.

forumrunner_20140108_154828.jpg  

Old 01-09-2014, 06:29 PM   #19

Made up my mind I'm going with the rra varmint 20'' ss wylde barrel. $270 isn't a bad deal on that. Guess ill try yo get a rra upper receiver an bolt carrier so everything is a nice fit.