223 wylde or 556
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion >

223 wylde or 556

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2014, 03:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

Default 223 wylde or 556

I'm about half have done with my second ar build an now im in the hunt for a barrel. What are the advantages an disvantages when it comes to the 223 wylde. I found nothing but good reviews an postive things about 223 wylde. If it is as good as everyone says it is then why isn't there more info on the web about it. Please share ur knowledge an experience if u have any on the 233 wylde!!

Thanks Dan

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2014, 03:23 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6783 Times on 3605 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Barrel itself is more important. The chambering can't make a crappy barrel better

That being said wylde is a scootch longer than 223 and a scootch shorter than 556. Can't go wrong with 556 or wylde, I find no need for a 223. Barrels from bcm or rra are good to go although the best bang for the buck accuracy are going to be the rra stainless wylde chamberings on their air gauged cryoed wilson barrels. The bcm barrels in 556 hammer forged and full chrome lining will give a fine combination of ohsht reliabilty and good accuracy
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 01-07-2014, 03:39 AM   #3

I was thinking more on the stainless steel side. Wilson combat makes a sniper model in 20". I have in down to a 18 or 20 in in stainless steel just on the fence about getting a 556 or 223 wylde

Old 01-07-2014, 04:28 AM   #4
BRL

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeman60 View Post
I'm about half have done with my second ar build an now im in the hunt for a barrel. What are the advantages an disvantages when it comes to the 223 wylde...Please share ur knowledge an experience if u have any on the 233 wylde!!
Let me start off by saying that I have no personal experience whatsoever with a .223 Wlyde chamber...

That said though, I do believe it is supposed to have a leade that is somewhat shorter than a 5.56 leade, but that is longer than a .223 leade, and was designed to allow the use of 5.56 NATO ammunition in it without causing a possibly dangerous overpressure situation that might occur by using the 5.56 NATO round in a .223 chamber.

I will speak from personal experience in using a fluted Olympic 16" SUM 1:8 twist barrel with a .223 chamber and my own .223 reloads using a 52 grain Hornady HPBT Match bullet...FRIGGIN' TACK DRIVER!!!

Of course I sold the rifle with that barrel long ago.

These days I have a fluted Olympic 16" carbon steel 5.56 chambered 1:9 twist non-chrome barrel, and while it doesn't print quite a as tight as groups as that Stainless Ultra Match barrel did, (so far) it still prints very respectable groups, even with short (2.220 OAL) 40 grain Hornady V-MAX bullet reloads out of its 5.56 chamber.

My $.02...Get the Wylde chamber.

Chamber photo courtesy: Gun Digest Book of The AR-15 by Patrick Sweeney.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:02 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6783 Times on 3605 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copeman60 View Post
I was thinking more on the stainless steel side. Wilson combat makes a sniper model in 20". I have in down to a 18 or 20 in in stainless steel just on the fence about getting a 556 or 223 wylde

Wilson the barrel maker has nothing to do with the junk that comes from wilson combat. Two different companies.

Avoid wilson combat. If you want a good really accurate ar get a rra in the predator series or their match rifles. Rra uses wilson barrels, again nothing to do with wilson combat
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 01-07-2014, 05:20 AM   #6

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Wilson gets there barrels out sourced I used to work at storm lake barrels and we did 99 percent of there barrels ( on that same note the way they had us make them I didn't agree with cause I knew they was not right) but bill wilson no longer runs wilson combat his son dose

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 01-07-2014, 05:21 AM   #7

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

My opinion would be check out daniel defence there number most accurate ar barrels on the market because there hammer forged

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Firearms Talk mobile app

Old 01-07-2014, 08:10 AM   #8

I'd like to stay around 250ish for a barrel. Maybe im asking to much with my price budget. That being said I guess im looking for a high quality 223 wylde barrel for around 250!! Daniel defense is a high quality company that comes with a high price! Dose rra make a wylde barrel either a 18 or 20"? Has to be stainless steel too.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRL View Post
Let me start off by saying that I have no personal experience whatsoever with a .223 Wlyde chamber...

That said though, I do believe it is supposed to have a leade that is somewhat shorter than a 5.56 leade, but that is longer than a .223 leade, and was designed to allow the use of 5.56 NATO ammunition in it without causing a possibly dangerous overpressure situation that might occur by using the 5.56 NATO round in a .223 chamber.

I will speak from personal experience in using a fluted Olympic 16" SUM 1:8 twist barrel with a .223 chamber and my own .223 reloads using a 52 grain Hornady HPBT Match bullet...FRIGGIN' TACK DRIVER!!!

Of course I sold the rifle with that barrel long ago.

These days I have a fluted Olympic 16" carbon steel 5.56 chambered 1:9 twist non-chrome barrel, and while it doesn't print quite a as tight as groups as that Stainless Ultra Match barrel did, (so far) it still prints very respectable groups, even with short (2.220 OAL) 40 grain Hornady V-MAX bullet reloads out of its 5.56 chamber.

My $.02...Get the Wylde chamber.

Chamber photo courtesy: Gun Digest Book of The AR-15 by Patrick Sweeney.

I also run a Olympic arms barrel an lower on my other 16in ar. Not chrome lined or anything but gets the job done!!

Old 01-07-2014, 01:05 PM   #10

Liked 331 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I have a 16" 223 wylde chambered, 1:8 twist, chrome lined and polished barrel made by criterion ,a kreiger owned but separate production barrel company. Its very accurate with sub moa groups the standard with m193 ammo ana 1.5-6 power scope. I am beyond impress with it for a chrome bored barrel. But still priced 30 dollars above your budget. I bought it from brownells but out of stock right now.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar15-m16-criterion-barrels-prod54733.aspx