223 Wolf Ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > 223 Wolf Ammo

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 04:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 223 Wolf Ammo

I'm a newbie to shooting and I'm hooked. I just complete my first AR with Delton M4 upper and TM lower. I used PSA lower kit . Will there be an issue using this ammo in my AR?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2012, 04:22 AM   #2

Liked 980 Times on 689 Posts
Likes Given: 982

Can't be sure now. You'll have to buy a small amount and try it out.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 05-19-2012, 04:32 AM   #3

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Buy a box and run it through it. If you like the way it runs and cleans afterward you can buy a larger amount then. The black box Wolf is produced in a different factory than the Wolf Military classic. I think the Military classic is a better round, not as dirty and seems more consistent. That said, I'm trying to use up all the cheap stuff I've bought over the years and replacing with brass cased ammo when it is on sale.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 05-19-2012, 04:32 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

DTi has an oversized gas port on most carbine barrels. Some people say thats "overgassed",.... some people say its correctly gasses for all types of ammo. The mil-spec gas port has issues with cheap ammo, low power ammo. Most commercial barrel manufacturers adjust the size to account for civilian ammo. DTi is one of them.

Old 05-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 210 Times on 182 Posts
Likes Given: 63

My DD eats Wolf but spits Tula. Dont know why ;(. Since they are both cheap & Russian made.
Yes, buy 1-3 boxes to try them out. A box of Wolf only costs around $5 or less. A reminder, those ammo are dirtier tho.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #6

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Twice, I've had the bolt skip over the top of the round and fail to feed while using the steel case russian ammo. a quick re-rack of the charging handle and it was running again.

only ever happened with cheap russian steel case ammo. and that's twice out of maybe 500 rounds used.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 654 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
Twice, I've had the bolt skip over the top of the round and fail to feed while using the steel case russian ammo. a quick re-rack of the charging handle and it was running again.

only ever happened with cheap russian steel case ammo. and that's twice out of maybe 500 rounds used.
Sometimes this is due to a problem with the magazine, or combination of steel case and an imperfect mag. I have not had any FTF's with P Mag magazines.

When loading mags with Tula, it seems to me the cartridges are slightly harder to seat than Wolf or brass, maybe this also works in reverse when feeding.

Not trying to diagnose what happened in your quote above, just making sure the OP is aware.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #8

Liked 42 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You've got a brand new setup that hasn't been really tested or broken in.

Any issues you might run into by running the Wolf/Tula type ammo I'd put off until you have several hundred rounds of good, brass cased ammo to verify proper operation.

I my mind I'd rather be sure my rifle is operating correctly with good ammo before having to troubleshoot a problem that might just be related to a lesser quality ammo.

XD-40 service, XD-9sc, member GeorgiaCarry.Org, National Rifle Association, Gun Owners of America, North American Hunting Club, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Old 05-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #9

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
Sometimes this is due to a problem with the magazine, or combination of steel case and an imperfect mag. I have not had any FTF's with P Mag magazines.

When loading mags with Tula, it seems to me the cartridges are slightly harder to seat than Wolf or brass, maybe this also works in reverse when feeding.

Not trying to diagnose what happened in your quote above, just making sure the OP is aware.

fair enough. they were the "standard issue" type 30 round mags. not the plastic P-mags.

and I've had a BUNCH of ammo through the mags and my 20" AR with no problems whatsoever. switch to the steel case and 2 fail to feed in 500 or less rounds.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #10

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I LOVE CHEAP ASS AMMUNTION!!!!

My ARs come from well respected companies that produce milspec rifles. They run great and have. In thousands of rounds there's been 1 short stroke (heavy buffer) and 2 hard primers. I also rarely clean my ARs. Run fast, hard, and put away wet.

Rarely have I seen and issue related to the ammunition. It's usually an out of spec chamber, bad mag, or out of tune buffer system.

Closed Thread