Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   AR-15 Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   223 Wolf Ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f20/223-wolf-ammo-64780/)

raiderman74 05-19-2012 04:15 AM

223 Wolf Ammo

I'm a newbie to shooting and I'm hooked. I just complete my first AR with Delton M4 upper and TM lower. I used PSA lower kit . Will there be an issue using this ammo in my AR?

Quentin 05-19-2012 04:22 AM

Can't be sure now. You'll have to buy a small amount and try it out.

fireguy 05-19-2012 04:32 AM

Buy a box and run it through it. If you like the way it runs and cleans afterward you can buy a larger amount then. The black box Wolf is produced in a different factory than the Wolf Military classic. I think the Military classic is a better round, not as dirty and seems more consistent. That said, I'm trying to use up all the cheap stuff I've bought over the years and replacing with brass cased ammo when it is on sale.

Fixer 05-19-2012 04:32 AM

DTi has an oversized gas port on most carbine barrels. Some people say thats "overgassed",.... some people say its correctly gasses for all types of ammo. The mil-spec gas port has issues with cheap ammo, low power ammo. Most commercial barrel manufacturers adjust the size to account for civilian ammo. DTi is one of them.

okdonk 05-19-2012 07:19 AM

My DD eats Wolf but spits Tula. Dont know why ;(. Since they are both cheap & Russian made.
Yes, buy 1-3 boxes to try them out. A box of Wolf only costs around $5 or less. A reminder, those ammo are dirtier tho.

70cuda383 05-19-2012 12:01 PM

Twice, I've had the bolt skip over the top of the round and fail to feed while using the steel case russian ammo. a quick re-rack of the charging handle and it was running again.

only ever happened with cheap russian steel case ammo. and that's twice out of maybe 500 rounds used.

Gatoragn 05-19-2012 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70cuda383 (Post 807552)
Twice, I've had the bolt skip over the top of the round and fail to feed while using the steel case russian ammo. a quick re-rack of the charging handle and it was running again.

only ever happened with cheap russian steel case ammo. and that's twice out of maybe 500 rounds used.

Sometimes this is due to a problem with the magazine, or combination of steel case and an imperfect mag. I have not had any FTF's with P Mag magazines.

When loading mags with Tula, it seems to me the cartridges are slightly harder to seat than Wolf or brass, maybe this also works in reverse when feeding.

Not trying to diagnose what happened in your quote above, just making sure the OP is aware.

treehugger49 05-19-2012 01:04 PM

You've got a brand new setup that hasn't been really tested or broken in.

Any issues you might run into by running the Wolf/Tula type ammo I'd put off until you have several hundred rounds of good, brass cased ammo to verify proper operation.

I my mind I'd rather be sure my rifle is operating correctly with good ammo before having to troubleshoot a problem that might just be related to a lesser quality ammo.

70cuda383 05-19-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatoragn (Post 807558)
Sometimes this is due to a problem with the magazine, or combination of steel case and an imperfect mag. I have not had any FTF's with P Mag magazines.

When loading mags with Tula, it seems to me the cartridges are slightly harder to seat than Wolf or brass, maybe this also works in reverse when feeding.

Not trying to diagnose what happened in your quote above, just making sure the OP is aware.

fair enough. they were the "standard issue" type 30 round mags. not the plastic P-mags.

and I've had a BUNCH of ammo through the mags and my 20" AR with no problems whatsoever. switch to the steel case and 2 fail to feed in 500 or less rounds.

MikeJK 05-19-2012 08:03 PM

I LOVE CHEAP ASS AMMUNTION!!!!

My ARs come from well respected companies that produce milspec rifles. They run great and have. In thousands of rounds there's been 1 short stroke (heavy buffer) and 2 hard primers. I also rarely clean my ARs. Run fast, hard, and put away wet.

Rarely have I seen and issue related to the ammunition. It's usually an out of spec chamber, bad mag, or out of tune buffer system.