Is the .223 FMJ worth anything in application? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > Is the .223 FMJ worth anything in application?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 10:53 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
IGETEVEN, are you aware that American long range snipers in, both, Afghanistan and Iraq have been using Hornady, 'A-Max' ballistic tip ammo?
Affirmative. Your point here?

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Affirmative. Your point here?

Jack
None!

(Within the context of the Second Hague Convention and it's, presumed, implications you brought the subject up.)

Old 09-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
My understanding, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is the 5.56 FMJ was adopted by NATO because it was less lethal than a soft-tip or hollow-point. It was very good at injuring someone, which had the advantages of taking them out the fight, risking more enemies to pull and carry that person to safety, and consuming significant enemy medical resources to care for that person.
My understanding, and I'd also welcome being corrected if I'm wrong, is that the United States Military and, later on, NATO adopted 5.56 x 45mm because of a perceived necessity to: use a fully automatic infantry weapon, fire more shots while in combat, and (consequently) satisfy the need to easily carry more ammunition.

During the Vietnam era when this subject used to be frequently discussed in all the, 'gunzines' I do not remember anyone citing, 'increased wound capacity' as a viable reason for switching from 7.62 x 51mm to 5.56 x 45mm ammunition. Increased wounding seems to have been a consequence of this change - rather than a prerequisite to it.

By the way, the first time I heard about the idea of one wounded combatant tying up three or four others was during the Korean War. The idea might have been around for longer than this; but, I wasn't aware of it until then.

Refer:

M16 rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

M-16 RIFLE 5.56MM

Old 09-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #24

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
None!

(Within the context of the Second Hague Convention and it's, presumed, implications you brought the subject up.)
Then I take it that you do understand that a sniper's mission is different than those of regular combat troops and ground soldier's mission and weapon's issue. In that, a sniper's goal is a one-shot, one-kill mission, emphasize on the kill part, at all costs.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Other than this, 'shooting to wound' is a really stupid idea.
Agreed, from a self defense standpoint. From a military standpoint, which is a source your were using to defend the FMJ round, shooting to wound is a great idea.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:49 AM   #26

The concept of shoot to wound in combat is new to me!!!

I always wanted the guy shooting at me to be dead and because of that I would put as many rounds as I pssibly could into the same place as he was trying to occupy.
I watched people "finish him off" so I can not imagine the idea of wounding the enemy.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 09-14-2009, 02:52 AM   #27

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

BKT is correct in that the principle behind using FMJ's in battle was to wound instead of kill thereby removing several combatants from the fight as well as slowing advances by tying up resources. A dead soldier requires no attention.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-14-2009, 03:17 AM   #28

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

A-max and ballistic tip are two tottaly different bullets made by different companies.

HORNADY A-max bullets have a polymer tip as does NOSLERS BALLISTIC TIP, and SIERRA's blitz king.

THe Hornady A-max is NOT a ballistic tip bullet. For being so smart G21 you sure talk like your not all that smart.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #29
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
My understanding, and I'd also welcome being corrected if I'm wrong, is that the United States Military and, later on, NATO adopted 5.56 x 45mm because of a perceived necessity to: use a fully automatic infantry weapon, fire more shots while in combat, and (consequently) satisfy the need to easily carry more ammunition.
Right, that makes sense -- lighter rounds means being able to carry more of them. But it doesn't address using FMJ versus something else.

Quote:
During the Vietnam era when this subject used to be frequently discussed in all the, 'gunzines' I do not remember anyone citing, 'increased wound capacity' as a viable reason for switching from 7.62 x 51mm to 5.56 x 45mm ammunition. Increased wounding seems to have been a consequence of this change - rather than a prerequisite to it.
Yes, but we're not talking about 5.56 vs 7.62x51. It's about 5.56 FMJ versus 5.56 other-than-FMJ. And in THAT context, wounding rather than killing does seem to be the objective.

Quote:
By the way, the first time I heard about the idea of one wounded combatant tying up three or four others was during the Korean War. The idea might have been around for longer than this; but, I wasn't aware of it until then.
That may be. But again, it doesn't address the different types of rounds.

Ballistics research seems to show that something other than a FMJ 5.56 is more lethal. If the objective is to kill the enemy, it seems counterintuitive that NATO et al would not issue the more lethal rounds to soldiers. On the other hand, if hampering the enemy with wounded does more damage overall than killing them outright, it does make sense.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:26 AM   #30

If it were me buying an AR, I would just go ahead and get the one built for 5.56 instead of .223. From what I've been told, they are the same thing, but 5.56 is at higher pressure. On the question of application, yeah you could hunt with it, go out to the range and shoot with it, defend the home with it. There are plenty of uses for it.

I don't know a ton about it, but I would think FMJ would be more deadly, better penetration, better stopping power.

Last edited by hogger129; 09-14-2009 at 11:33 AM.