.223 Ammo - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > .223 Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I have about 8000 rds saved just in case. I can put a 10 shot group in the size of a fist off the bags @ 200 meters shooting the 62gr HP's. That is with the Fulton armory upper and wolf ammo. With reloads I can only get marginally better shots (because of me, not the rifle)....enough to know the difference for competition but not enough of a difference the rest of the time.
I actually have about 8 different configurations of .223/5.55 ammo depending on the AR I am using and what I am shooting at. I guess a hobby has turned into a little obsession.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 09-26-2009, 02:39 AM   #22
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockett007 View Post
I understand your comments because Wolf works in YOUR rifle. In many AR's, it doesn't run reliably because of the steel case. Also, many manufacturers state that if you run this ammo, your warranty is void.

My DPMS will NOT run Wolf, my friend's Bushmaster will. The DPMS likes brass cases and runs all brass 223 without issues. Some people do know what they are talking about when they bash Wolf ammo. The usual failure mode is FTE, the empty case sticking in the chamber.

Another option is Silver Bear, which is Zinc coated over steel case. These seem to run better, but there are still function issues reported with Silver Bear.

I do agree with you that there are some mfg's guns that don't like Wolf/Steel cased ammo. Most that stick in the chambers are from having a Match Grade chamber that is tighter than your Mil-spec chamber,same goes with guns chambered for 5.56 and ones chambered in 223. The mfg's should make all SAE chambered guns able to handle the NATO Metric cartridge pressures. That's why I like the 223 Wylde chambered barrels from RRA.

Don't bash the ammo,Bash the mfg for making a gun that is picky about what you feed it!

Old 10-06-2009, 04:31 AM   #23

You might try Tactical Ammunition .223 ammunition, .308 ammo, primers, prepared brass. They have great prices and a whole flavor of ammunition for .223. I think their ammo shoots better than centurian and they ship the same day. I have baught over 5 thousand rounds from them and have been very happy. Hope this helps.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #24

I have had mixed success with steel cased ammo. My RRA does not like it.....my DoubleStar loves it!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:55 AM   #25

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I guess I've been on the good end of Wolf ammo. I have (had) 1,000 rounds of 62gr FMJ that I got at the gun show last year (for $239) and after hitting the range to zero my scope, I continued to fire the Wolf through my Colt AR-15, stamped 5.56. I used military surplus 30-round steel mags and after shooting through 10 of them, no faults.

As others have noted, it's all about the weapon and how "picky" the receiver is. CheaperThanDirt has Wolf 55gr 20-round boxes for $5.19.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:49 AM   #26

Likes Given: 1

Just my humble opinion and I'm not trying to sound like a smart butt. The best way to see what your gun likes to eat is to try different ammo and test it until you land on it. You will know it when you do. Do not buy too much of any one kind until you find what works best in YOUR rifle. Then you can pile some up. Everyone on the face of the Earth has an opinion about which ammo is better or worse but YOUR rifle could care less what someone else thinks. It's like polling a thousand people on which brand of automobile you should buy. Anything outside of that is general statements about various ammo and you don't want general unless you just want to plink. Which brings up another point; What is your goal? Accuracy, distance, plinking? All of that and more will play into your ammo choice.