.223 Ammo - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > .223 Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2009, 02:15 AM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2733 Times on 1431 Posts
Likes Given: 231

A grain is a unit of weight. 7000 grains = 1 pound

25K of 5.56/.223 is a nice start.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 09-24-2009, 02:19 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

my bushmasters will not shoot wolf...jams after the 4th or so round...:/my bwk92 norinco loves it...im just glad i bought most my 223 & 5.56 ammo a few years back (1000rds) of lake city for 150.00.i just dont get why 223's are so much higher then 7.62x39's?(215.00 1000rds)so wtf gives?i know there is more ak and what not type rifles chambered for this round out there...but they are companys out there making the black rifles as fast as we can shoot...@under 700bucks for them black rifles i would think the 223 ammo would be just as cheap if not cheaper then 7.62x39's being they hold a little less powder and the bullet..being lead & some kind of bi-metal copper bullets weigh less & more people being able to afford the ar-type rifles more..?i just dont get it?...think god the buying frenzy is starting to die off some...minus a primer scarce...only 100,000+ rds of 19 diffrent calibers here....dang i got to start reloading again SOON!

Last edited by m72law; 09-24-2009 at 02:21 AM.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:25 AM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The problem with steel cased ammo is that steel does not expand as much, nor as quickly as brass. Why is this a problem? Because it is the momentary expansion of the case that locks it to the chamber wall until pressure drops at which time the case retracts. With a brass case, the brass expands completely thereby preventing the case from moving rearward into the boltface. Simple physics tells us that for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, meaning that the case wants to move rearward with the same velocity as the bullet moves forward. Obviously the bolt prevents this from happening, but constant slamming of the bolt by the case is NOT a good thing! This is the main reason many manufacturers will void their warranty when steel cased ammo is used, the other reason is the laquer deposits on the chamber walls.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 09-24-2009, 03:06 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

How do you guys get .223 so cheap? Wolf goes for about $12/20 rounds down here

No wonder so many people reload.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:06 AM   #15

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhuk View Post
How do you guys get .223 so cheap? Wolf goes for about $12/20 rounds down here

No wonder so many people reload.
Two years ago I was buying Rem UMC .223 at Big 5 for $3.99 per 20. We were spoiled for a great many years by reasonably priced ammo.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:48 PM   #16

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
I usually keep about 5-10K rds of Wolf 62 & 75gr HP ammo stocked up for plinking & range ammo. There is nothing wrong with it.It may not be the most accurate ammo out there but for just hitting paper and general shooting it is good ammo.
I have shot countless rds of Wolf from AR's,Mini 14's,Saiga's,and Bolt Action rifles and have never had a single problem with either the old or new coatings or the steel cases.

People just hear this crap and start rumors about stuff,and most don't have a clue about what they are talking about. If it was half as bad as most the rumors say,there would be pallets of this ammo setting in the back rooms of every place that sells ammo.

Go ahead and stay away from the Wolf ammo,It just leaves more for me to buy and shoot,and I don't have to spend time reloading my brass with expensive Hornady 75gr Amax's,Primers,and Powder.

I understand your comments because Wolf works in YOUR rifle. In many AR's, it doesn't run reliably because of the steel case. Also, many manufacturers state that if you run this ammo, your warranty is void.

My DPMS will NOT run Wolf, my friend's Bushmaster will. The DPMS likes brass cases and runs all brass 223 without issues. Some people do know what they are talking about when they bash Wolf ammo. The usual failure mode is FTE, the empty case sticking in the chamber.

Another option is Silver Bear, which is Zinc coated over steel case. These seem to run better, but there are still function issues reported with Silver Bear.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupo View Post
How much ammo do ya'll keep in your home stock of .223 that is brassed cased? Also anyone know any good deals on 62gr .223? and what is grain exactly?
I keep at least a 1,000 rounds of brass cased (mostly my own reloads) and 1,000 rounds of Wolf polymer coated.

The "grains" is the weight of the bullet. 7,000 grains = 1 pound weight

TXnorton

Old 09-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

+1 Tx.

Maybe there are a few out there who's guns do choke on it for whatever reason, but I only had one that had problems, a RRA. But I tried it again a few weeks ago with a fresh case of POLYMER coated Wolf (not sure if you can even still find the lacquer coated cases around here anyway) and had no problems with it.

Between you and me, I'd be more concerned if my GO-TO, SHTF, main weapon would NOT function with a particular type of ammo. Should that time come, you may not have the luxury of choosing what type in a particular caliber. As for the AR's that I have used it in, they range from DPMS, STAG, RRA, BUSHy's, to higher end models, including Noveske, LMT, and Sabre Defence models. All have handled it just fine, with little to no fuss at all. That could just be blind luck, but no BS. I haven't done anything any different to the mags, uppers, barrel/chambers, nada.

But for those who don't want to try it, or due to Mfg. Warranty issues, then don't. I've read many test reports/gun reviews written by well known gun enthusiasts/writers/users/etc, who quite often use Wolf in their range tests, to give a wider assesment of what that particular gun is capable of with assorted ammunition. I haven't read many, that report any kind of failures due to Wolf ammo. Not saying that there aren't any, just have not read about very many, except - on the WWW. Some even say it is dirtier? Well, don't you clean your guns after shooting anyway?

Try it in your own guns, if it works, hey - it's cheaper than just about anything else out there for plinking/target practice/etc. If it doesn't, then at least you have something to base it on, as far as not shooting it. If it does get stuck, a tap on the end of a cleaning rod will pop the shell out. I've yet to hear of any low-yield, thermal nuke melt-downs from using it in any AR's yet.

Just my .02, your mileage may vary.
Slo

Old 09-24-2009, 08:03 PM   #19

I had a Bushmaster A2 that would jam up with wolf ammo. I did not like the idea of not being able to use any .223/5.56 I could come across so I sold the upper to a friend who would not use wolf and I bought a Fulton Armory NM A2 Upper and I can shoot anything out of that.
I have yet to have a problem shooting Wolf ammo (I like to go dirt squirtin quite a bit) but you do have to clean thoroughly after use.
I have quite a bit stored for a bad time.

"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves. Congress have no power to disarm the militia. Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birth-right of an American...(T)he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people." (Tench Coxe, Freeman's Journal, 20 Feb 1778)

Old 09-25-2009, 11:44 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Gus - As I have previously noted in other Wolf related threads, my brother's Bushmaster would not cycle Wolf either. But the Wolf ammo works fine in my new RRA 16" and my very old Colt SP-1 20". IMHO, if it works in your AR, use it as it is less expensive than reloading. If it doesn't work for you, then shoot something else.

TXnorton