.223 or 5.56?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion > AR-15 Discussion > .223 or 5.56?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
ted
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .223 or 5.56?

Hi all,

I'm putting together my first AR and came across this conundrum, which I'm assuming is only a mystery to me since I can't find hardly anything on it. So the .223 and the 5.56 NATO seem to be the same round, and they look pretty much identical, but I read on this AR-15 upper receivers site that the 5.56 can take a .223, but not the other way around. Do I need to buy components that are made for 5.56 if I want my rifle to be more versatile, or is this a misconception? Are the two completely interchangeable?

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 35

From my understanding you have one of 4 options.

1. Buy a .223 and shoot only .223 in it.

2. Buy a .223 Wylde which is set up for both .223 and 5.56

3. Buy a 5.56 which will run both .223 and 5.56

4. Buy 2 uppers for whatever you feel like shooting

The difference between #2 and #3 is with the Wylde barrel the rifling starts before it normally would on a 5.56 to try and get more accuracy with both the .223 and 5.56. Whereas if you buy a 5.56 the .223 may not be as accurate.

The reason for the difference is a matter of pressure, the 5.56 has more pressure than the .223 so if you fire 5.56 in a .223 it can cause premature wear.

This is my understanding of the subject I am sure that others will chime in with more detail and probably correct me where I was wrong.

Old 08-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you are building a general purpose or a fighting gun, you want a barrel with a 5.56 NATO chamber. If you are building a match grade rifle, you may want to consider a barrel with a .223 Remington chamber.

.223 Remington chambers are tighter than 5.56 NATO chambers, and 5.56 ammunition will not reliably feed in a .223 chamber. .223 Remington ammunition will feed without issue in a 5.56 NATO chamber.

You may also come across hybrid chambers like .223 Wylde. The .223 Wylde chamber was designed as a match chambering for semi-automatic rifles, and will accomodate both .223 Rem and 5.56mm NATO ammunition. It is relieved in the case body to aid in extraction and features a shorter throat for improved accuracy.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 08-18-2011, 04:33 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The physical difference that I know of between the 5.56 and the .223 is the 5.56 has a different shoulder angle than the .233.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 08-18-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 427

The only reason to pick 556 over wylde is to shoot military tracers. I wouldnt go out of my way paying more just to get a wylde over 556.

If you plan on shooting steel ammo go 556 with chrome chamber.

People who are concerned greatly with accuracy tend to hand load rounds to fit their guns exactly

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...